Why become a member? ×

Budget 5 with Wide String Spacing???

Deedee

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1481547400' post='3193113']
Had no idea the nut was so narrow on the OPs' Vintage, 42.5mm !!

Dirt cheap option could be the 5 string PJ from Thomann £108. At least it goes to 45mm.
Painy on post #3 has one maybe he could give you the lowdown

Or their Ray type model. Again £108 and 45mm nut.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_5_sb_deluxe_series.htm
[/quote]

I was really impressed with the playability of the Harley Benton when I first got it and the tone is pretty good too to be honest but the pickups are pretty weak output-wise and at some point the J pup has stopped working (probably just a lose wire or something but I only gigged it about half a dozen times before it went under the bed so that's not great.
The spacing at the bridge is about the same as my Squier but it is a fair bit tighter at the nut although it's also quite a bit chunkier front to back.

Normally when one bass costs 3 times as much as another the question is, "Is it 3 times as good?" In this case though, comparing the Squier to the Harley Benton, I'd actually say easily yes and then some.

Personally I'd say the Harley Benton isn't a bad bass for the money whereas the Squier is a good bass full stop.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1481574135' post='3193425']
Well as it's Christmas I've treated myself and ordered an Olympic White Squier VM Precision from Thomann. £250 !!! They can't make them for that surely????

Thanks for all the assistance guys, much appreciated.
[/quote]

Be interested to hear how you find it when you get it.
If you like it half as much as I love mine you won't be able to put it down. :)

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1481661477' post='3194156']

Be interested to hear how you find it when you get it.
If you like it half as much as I love mine you won't be able to put it down. :)
[/quote]

I'm hoping the same.

I must admit, I'm a better player now and have a far better understanding of 5 strings than when I last had one (about 15 years ago). At that time it was somewhere new to put my thumb 😂.

I just might get used to it!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1481891751' post='3195991']
Wow just had a look at the squier on Thomann, thats a fine looking Bass! Good choice!
[/quote]

Yeah I was hoping it would've landed by now but, hey ho looks like it'll be Monday. I hope they play as well as they look

Well, the Squier VM 5 P arrived today and I'm a very happy bunny.

Perfectly packaged and unmarked, I got to work changing the strings (I'd already bought a set of my favoured Fender 7250's), then lowered the bridge saddles and tweaked the intonation a little.

It feels even better quality than I was expecting. Just has that 'lively' feel when played acoustically that resonates through the entire instrument. I've not had chance to crank it up through the amp yet but I'm extremely happy with it. The string spacing is bang on for me and the overall feel and look of the instrument is great.

Highly recommended 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Further to some of the earlier suggestions, I just tried an Ibanez SR 505 and the string spacing didn't feel too bad. It's the first time in while that I've tried an SR as I usually give them a wide berth and stick to 'old school' models, but I must say I was very impressed with the build quality and general feel.

Edited by Deedee

Bought this used BTB 675 from my local shop yesterday. Saw it, played it, loved it, bought it! Very pleased with it 😎.

So now I have the Squier P and Ibanez BTB 5's plus my Stingray and Fender P 4's. I think that's me done now.

Many thanks to Mark at Electro

Edited by Deedee