Why become a member? ×

Budget 5 with Wide String Spacing???

Deedee

Hi all

My new band/project is going to require me dabbling with a 5 string for a couple of songs again after many years. I've recently taken a Vintage V96 5 in a trade and lovely though it is, the string spacing feels a little tight for me.

Could anyone recommend a 'budget' 5 that has a wider string spacing, a little nearer to the 4 strings that I'm used to I.e. Precisions and Stingrays?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Sire isn't really my thing unfortunately as it does look rather nice.

Squier VM does look like a good option - one pickup basses are my usual faves.

Changing the bridge/nut would be a little OTT at this price bracket and the Vintage has a rather large bridge plate that would no doubt look a mess if replaced.

There are some good other model options there too. I did once have a BTB 4 and that was lovely. Decisions, decisions 🤔

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1481484237' post='3192630']
Why not just string your 4 string BEAD?
[/quote]

I did consider this, but then I was wondering if the nut slot for the E/B would need altering so in the end thought bugger it, buy a fiver

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1481473983' post='3192512']
Yamaha BB425 (or 415). Precisiony with a bonus J pickup, often found for less than £200 used - bargain!
[/quote]

I've just bought a new BB425 for £315 - amazing value. But I would describe the string spacing as rather tight and 'jazz like' - certainly at the neck end. Width at the nut is 43mm - the same as some Precision 4 string necks! if you scaled that down to 4 strings it would be 33mm at the nut!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481491183' post='3192714']
Ibanez SR series gets my vote, cracking basses for not much money.
[/quote]

Those are famous for tight spacing, 16.5-17 mm for the 5 stringers.
But your are right, great basses!

Yamaha TRB5II would be my advice, really nice sounding basses with wide spacing at the bridge (19 or 20mm IIRC) but they don't ha a large neck around the first 5 positions as the neck tapers quite a bit. This was one of my fav things with my previous TRB5s. Also they go quite cheap on the 2nd hand market. (compared to the sound and build quality)
Last one in the classifieds went for 400quid...

If you are on a really tight budget then I'd recommend the yamaha rbx765a or the 770, 19mm spacing and cheap as chips, I had one that cost me 120quid, a great sounding bass too, I even got compliments from a recording engineer with my one. The squire vm p5 is great too, about 18mm spacing and I only paid 120 for mine as well.

Matt

String spacing is an issue in two areas - at the nut end where you fret the notes and then at the bridge end where you play. Either can vary quite a lot and I would imagine this to be the make or break for different players using different basses. Reading the OP I think he is talking about string spacing at the nut end (= width of nut) when making comparisons to the width of a 4 string Precision neck?

Had no idea the nut was so narrow on the OPs' Vintage, 42.5mm !!

Dirt cheap option could be the 5 string PJ from Thomann £108. At least it goes to 45mm.
Painy on post #3 has one maybe he could give you the lowdown

Or their Ray type model. Again £108 and 45mm nut.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_5_sb_deluxe_series.htm

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481537322' post='3192956']
You know I never noticed the string spacing being tight on the SR305!
[/quote]

I did. I loved my SR305 apart from the string spacing. I felt like I was tripping over myself all the time. The wider spacing on my BTB is far more comfortable, for me.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1481543311' post='3193039']
String spacing is an issue in two areas - at the nut end where you fret the notes and then at the bridge end where you play. Either can vary quite a lot and I would imagine this to be the make or break for different players using different basses. Reading the OP I think he is talking about string spacing at the nut end (= width of nut) when making comparisons to the width of a 4 string Precision neck?
[/quote]

Good point. It is at both ends that I find it too narrow to be honest.