Why become a member? ×

NEW MarkBass Combo 2x10 250 watts at 4 ohms

yorks5stringer

Markbass used to always tempt me in, and to some extent, they still do. Now though, something isn't quite the same. It doesn't really matter whether the bits and pieces are put together in Indonesia, it is the fact they don't use the drivers they used to. Someone on Talkbass took a few photos inside of a fairly new cab, and not only was it heavier that the Italian one, it had a lower grade driver.

I'd rather they didn't water it down and just charged a little more.

I've listened to a lot of Indonesian MB amps & cabs and can't tell the difference. I do know that the incidence of repair and warranty claims is way lower since moving away from Italian construction.

In terms of weight there were some early cabs that came in a bit heavier, mostly 210's I think, but that was soon sorted and everything went back to previous weights.

Personally the improved build quality, and lower warranty issues, would make me choose Indonesian over Italian made MB products.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the ad copy, I see they call it 250 watts, but reading further into the specs it appears to be 150 watts using the built-in speakers and 250 watts only if you add an extension cab.

150 is probably plenty enough wattage for the built-ins, but it still seems like a drastic cut-down of wattage. Anyone agree? (or am I just off here? wattage is a fractious issue)

Edited by Wylie