Why become a member? ×

Buying a carbon bow--advice needed please

gypsyjazzer

When buying a carbon bow--cheap'ish or expensive--how do to know what is the quality of the hair used?--would the seller mention the quality of the hair? From what I have read do not go for synthetic hair. Do you prefer black hair for it's grab on the strings?

Anyone a French carbon bow to sell? If so PM me with details.

Many thanks.

Edited by gypsyjazzer

On the cheap bows, the hair is rubbish anyway. Gage/Coda bows are good if you are willing to spend some more... I would advise to go with bleached hair for most occasions.

I am sure this is a good deal, too.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/296933-col-legno-carbon-fibre-french-bow/page__pid__3194968#entry3194968

Edited by BaconCheese

Synthetic feels kind of slippy. Nasty. Avoid. Black is fine for double basses (extra grippy apparently) though violinists and 'cellists think it a bit coarse. Other than that, I think you'd have to be very sensitive to tell the difference.

My Arcus carbon bow came with "pepper and salt" grey/black hair .. and 4 of 5 bass players in my amateur symphony orchestra are using the same stuff. My wooden bow has always had white.

Some people evidently take it quite seriously: :mellow:

"The gender of the horse is also important; stallion hair is preferred because it is generally cleaner than that of mares, which tends to get hit with more urine spray." (https://www.johnsonstring.com/resources/from-horse-to-bow.htm)