Why become a member? ×

EMG pickups - Difference between a 35P4X & a 35PX

ead

I can't see anything on the EMG site which distinguishes them, and the instructions link from the 35PX takes you to the pdf for the 35P4X...

I'd suggest an email to EMG - I found they were pretty good at responding: I have P40s in my Shuker, and I'm very happy with them as a P-type pickup.

Cheers Dan, that's what EMG suggested too. Think I might go for either the P4X/CSX or P4X/JX combo, but still a shade undecided. The DC pickups don't seem to get a lot of love on here.

Have you been able to compare X and non-X EMGs as yet?

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1481615711' post='3193655']
Cheers Dan, that's what EMG suggested too. Think I might go for either the P4X/CSX or P4X/JX combo, but still a shade undecided. The DC pickups don't seem to get a lot of love on here.

Have you been able to compare X and non-X EMGs as yet?
[/quote]

DC's are one of my favourite actually! - They are raspy and are not dissimilar to a MusicMan pickup in sound. I think the CS pickups are smoother in the top end and some have said less of a bump in the tone (mids) but I can't test that myself to say for sure.

I have a couple of basses with the normal EMG P and J style active pickups (not in soaps bars) and I love them. I've found that the Glockenklang 3 band Pre pairs really well with EMGs too.

As for comparing the X series - I've not had a chance, but I think I am more likely to go with the non-X versions judging by what others have said about them. That's in no way derogatory, they are just different. As I 'know' the non-X versions and certainly not in any position to shell out £150 for a set of X series, I will stick with what I am familiar with in case the X -Series doesn't do the same!