Why become a member? ×

Weak Bass output

toolapcblack

Hi all i purchased a PRS Kingfisher for a great price and she plays like a dream the only trouble is the signal is very weak/thin are there any fixes/suggestions? i dont really want to go active but should i swap out the Pots? maybe get a on-board passive preamp
ive seen [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Glokenklang, Darkglass, Aguilar mentioned .....the bass has a separate vol for each humbucker + 1 tone[/color][/font]

Are you sure that you don't have a fault with the electrics? I noticed that Andertons blurb for the Kingfisher describe the tone as "fat".
Do both pickups sound thin?
Are your pickup heights set correctly?

Humbuckers don't usually sound thin if everything's ok. Did you purchase from new?

All the preamps you mentioned are active btw.

yes purchase from new and pick ups are set at a good height.

got these comments from a review site:
[color=#3A3A3A]All of the pots (vol,tone) are useless beyond the 1st 10%. The pickups are hum cancelling, but not really humbuckers.
&[/color][color=#3A3A3A]
a pretty good bass but for an annoying hum which I cannot get rid of, all the metal parts including the bridge are well connected to the negative side of the output jack so should be going to earth OK but I cannot get rid of it.[/color][color=#3A3A3A]
It is OK at rehearsal volume but cranked up live it is so bad I have given up on playing at it gigs which is a pity as it plays very well and I really liked the sound, I have tried different amps but with no improvement.[/color]

Well it sounds like the pots are linear instead of audio taper for a start if yours is the same.

It sounds like the pickups [b]could[/b] be the issue if there's not much output. You could wire the pickups directly to the output jack to see if the output is still low but if it is then changing the pickups is probably the only course of action.

I'm not sure if the pickups are a similar size to any readily available replacements though.....

[quote name='toolapcblack' timestamp='1481655493' post='3194099']
nope theyre arent really humbuckers as only one side is wired(2 wires from a sealed unit one black and one white coming from each PUP) [b]when i do a tap test only the inner 4 poles on each are doing anything[/b]
[/quote]

Dead pole pieces on the pickup, i had this happening to me on a new Sandberg i recieved, they sent me a replacement straight away, no way to fix it unless replacing the pickup. Take it back to the store before you start messing with it and void your warranty.