Why become a member? ×

Spector

byrne182

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1481830507' post='3195580']
Is it the one we talked about previously? If so, I want to try!!!!!
[/quote]

As my Grandmother used to say "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies" ;)

As I've posted on a couple of threads previously; it was a Spector Euro 5lx that saved me from giving up bass (having previously bought a Yamaha 5 string that I just couldn't get on with). Excellent basses in both tone and playability (and has also been mentioned, excellent customer service). I can't recommend Spector basses enough.

Edited by darkandrew

I've had Spectors as main gigging basses for the last 10 years or so. Originally a Euro 6 from the Sound Control closing blowout and then I went for a BC orphan NS5CR which seemed to have passed through many hands and I have no idea why. I'd actually played and fallen for it a number of years earlier and missed out on two opportunities to purchase. I finally got my hands on it in 2009 and haven't regretted it since. Shortly after I bought a second (which I sold earlier this year) which was a transition model from I guess '98 (Spector name, SSD specs so it had a very fat neck and dot fingerboard inlays).

[i]The good bits:[/i]

Czech made CR basses are nearly identical in spec to the US made XL basses apart from different electronics and a rosewood fingerboard instead of pau ferro. So this means solid maple wings and some decent figuring and they're a third of the cost second hand.

Neck shape - it's thicker than a typical Fender profile but still comfortable and my hands have never cramped.

Sound - growly as f***. Think Smith but with more midrange, MTD but with more warmth, fatter sounding Yamaha BBNEII etc. I think you know where I'm going.

Looks - that body shape is still sexy after 30 years.

[i]The less desirable bits:[/i]

EMG electronics - while I love EMG's in guitars for high gain sounds, I don't like them in basses because they colour the sound too much. I replaced the electronics in mine with a Noll preamp and less coloured custom Wizard soapbars with coil splits.

My particular bass has had a slight S-curve in the neck for most of it's life so it's with Mr Shuker at the moment. He'll replace the rosewood fingerboard with something stiffer like ebony and maybe refinish it in my favourite matt tint of reflex blue. It's a keeper.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1481885684' post='3195916']
I'd love to try a Euro 5XL, but looking at the specs it seems there is pretty much no hope of me finding one that weighs under 9lb.
[/quote]

Mine is around 9.5lbs. The ones I had before were around the same weight but none was significantly lighter so yes, your chances to find one under 9lbs are small.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1481913311' post='3196280']
Billy Apple, you're just a blatant bragger - that bass is effing awesome!
[/quote]

Thank you :D . Here's the other two..

40th Anniversary Euro. Solid maple wings. Tone pump

NS2 Helium. Maple top, water tank redwood back. 9V Haz

And to complete the bragging.. Me and the Boss at this years LBGS

I thank you :hi:

Billy, that's a great pic of you with the man himself. I'd like to meet him just to say hi. Would you let me know when he's around?

Here's me with my Euro 4LX-TW. That finish with black hardware is just awesome - even if I say it myself.

[attachment=234222:_DSC4567_Fotor crop.jpg]

OP I hope you're enjoying these pics :)

Spector lover here. I've owned several, have two at the moment, and each and every one of them was just awesome. I consider the Euro and Rebop Series to have the best value possible. You can snag a Rebop (that is basically a Euro with a bolt on neck. Euros are neck thru) for ~600€. And even a brand new Euro is under 2k €.

They have a trademark sound that is very recognizable and full of character. Like a really angry piano.

Just re-read this thread and there are no lies here. The de-fretted one donated to the next Herts bash had me intrigued enough to actually put my money where my mouth is...

I've just acquired a Korean neck thru NS2000 and though my expectations were not high it has [b][i]absolutely blown my mind[/i][/b].

Great build quality ([i]what from Korea??[/i]) great tones, a lovely neck with a character of it's own, well balanced and free from any faults as far as I can see. Personally I think the seller needs to pop into his local Mental Health team for a check over - he must have been mad to part with this!! To be fair though he did say that he has another which he'll never sell.

Probably one of the best VFM basses I've owned. Recommend them highly. Now I know why BillyApple holds them in such high esteem - it's not just because his best mate is Stu Spector.

I had an NS94 and also have a 5 string Classic bolt on. The NS94 was an incredible playin bass and it never felt like a 34" scale. Only sold it because of the modern tone and the band moved to 50's and 60's stuff.

The customer service from the factory is also second to non.

Edited by naxos10

I didn't realise until just recently that Ned Steinberger designed the NS (thence his initials for the name) model. A bit surprising since I consider his L2/XL2 an absolute masterpiece of design, and, to be honest, I've a hard time finding a Spector I don't find completely hideous.

That said, the constant praise for these basses have got me, reluctantly, interested. I'm convinced now the build quality will be excellent.They don't, however, look like the type of bass I'd normally like the sound of. How could the Spector sound be described? Is there any song or video I could hear or watch that would give me a good idea of what makes them special? I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a mid control on the tone pump, since I'm very fond of toasty, nutty mids.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1482950921' post='3203731']
I didn't realise until just recently that Ned Steinberger designed the NS (thence his initials for the name) model. A bit surprising since I consider his L2/XL2 an absolute masterpiece of design, and, to be honest, I've a hard time finding a Spector I don't find completely hideous.

That said, the constant praise for these basses have got me, reluctantly, interested. I'm convinced now the build quality will be excellent.They don't, however, look like the type of bass I'd normally like the sound of. How could the Spector sound be described? Is there any song or video I could hear or watch that would give me a good idea of what makes them special? I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a mid control on the tone pump, since I'm very fond of toasty, nutty mids.
[/quote]

Some people may disagree but I'd describe the Spector sound (of my euro4 anyway) as fizzing, growling, grinding and hi-fi. Strong and distinct lows, prominent mids and searing highs. A real full range sound. It really poked out in the mix. Brilliant, brilliant bass.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1482950921' post='3203731']
Is there any song or video I could hear or watch that would give me a good idea of what makes them special? I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a mid control on the tone pump, since I'm very fond of toasty, nutty mids.
[/quote]

You could look up "Jet City Woman" by Queensryche - Ed's bass on that is very typically 'Spector'.

Edited by darkandrew