Why become a member? ×

Spector

byrne182

Had a Euro SE5 (think Sting's white ns2). That is, hands down, the best bass I've owned. A sound that is totally unparalleled. The most 'hi-fi' bass sound I've ever come across, even more so than a Modulus Flea I owned. Flawless construction and finish. A nice thin neck profile (not remotely 'clubby' as is sometimes said). It's probably the one bass I've owned that I couldn't retrospectively pick a fault with.

Edited by 40hz

Are you looking at getting 4 or 5 (or 6) strings? What is the budget you are willing to spend?
Depending on your budget there are a couple of options and generally Spectors are of great value at every price level from Koean made Legends, through Czech made Euros to the US made top of the range basses.
I personally use a couple of Euro basses and they are the best basses for me. i've had 50+ basses throughout the years and these are the most suitable for my playing style.
I really love the ergonomics and the distinct sound. I would not say it's a hifi sound, depends a lot on which model, which pickup option we are talking about.
The neck is not chunky at all....but it is quite subjective anyway.

If you have any specific question I'm happy to answer. I'm not associated but only a very happy Spector owner / user / lover.

Sean (Billy Apple) has a beautiful neck thru which he brought to the last Herts Bash - very impressive. The entry models seem to hold their own against the comparable - Sean swears by his top ender. We were donated a defretted 4 string for the next Bash - I played it before passing it to Gary Mac to refine. I was impressed.

They are amazing, no other way to put it really. I've had two, a Euro lx 4 and a Korean made ns-2005. The euro I probably would have kept if it wasn't for gassing after a stingray 5 (ultimately my go to bass now). 5£3 build quality was amazing for the price I paid (about £700 second hand) and the sound was killer with the tone pump. One main reason I sold it was that to get the output to match that of my p bass for changing mid set, I had to use the trim pot, and that to my ears at least, took some of its edge away. Others would say it made it more playable, and for some genres I'd say they might be right.
The build quality on the NS2005 was amazing for its price, but it was HEAVY!!! And the 35" scale was a stretch for my dainty little hands. Probably could have done with an upgrade to emg dc's to my ears.
Buy with confidence, great basses and great after sales service too!!

I've got a euro 4lx and they are just awesome. Bags of growl with sublime playability. I've had it since around 2004.

Can't really say enough good things about them. Mine is an early LX without the trimpot, but that's never been an issue with any amp or pedal I've used. Always sounds great.

I like them. That's one of the original Legends in my avatar with the P/J pickup and 3-band EQ. Currently loving my second SSD NS-94. Never played the Euro or the US ones but I hear nothing but good things about them.

Currently GASing for an NS-2 Forte...

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1481738092' post='3194743']
Depending on your budget there are a couple of options and generally Spectors are of great value at every price level from Korean made Legends, through Czech made Euros to the US made top of the range basses.
I personally use a couple of Euro basses and they are the best basses for me. i've had 50+ basses throughout the years and these are the most suitable for my playing style.
I really love the ergonomics and the distinct sound. I would not say it's a hifi sound, depends a lot on which model, which pickup option we are talking about.
The neck is not chunky at all....but it is quite subjective anyway.
[/quote]

THIS ^^^

The best all-round basses for build, sound, playability, value for money etc I've EVER played in my 30+ years.... and I've played or owned most of the top makes in that time.
Add to the above the BEST and most personal customer service I've ever had from an instrument company and I'd say you're onto a winner....
They also look sexy ;) lol!

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1481795147' post='3195146']
Add to the above the BEST and most personal customer service I've ever had from an instrument company and I'd say you're onto a winner...
[/quote]

Definitely this! PJ is a legend and no question is too small. I bet the Legend series were named for him.

Played 'em since '99 and love 'em. Best value for some time has been the Korean NS2000 IMO - they come around for peanuts on fleabay. I currently own a Euro 4 LX and a NS2000/4. Previously owned another NS2000/4, a SSD NS-94 and a fretless NS2000/4 - all great.
There was a thread on here about things that bug you about your bass - I didn't see one entry moaning about a Spector.

I always hated the look of Spectors thinking they represented all that was wrong with the eighties. That was until I saw one and played one and then it all made sense. After that it was pretty much call off the search.

I'd start with a s/h Euro and take it from there. If its not for you, you'll easily move it on.