Why become a member? ×

Octaves - Disco style

Funky Dunky

Yeh no real quick fix here.
The "bum [b][i]diddy" [/i][/b]bit..... The diddy is usually done with index and middle finger. To get it sounding crisp and articulate i mute the high octave string with middle finger after the index has played, before playing with the middle finger.
I've just realised how hard a concept this is to explain in words!! :blink:
Hopefully it makes sense to you

Practice with a single pluck as in 'bum di, bum di, bum di' until it's smooth. Then practice the double pluck (I use index and middle finger) as in 'diddy, diddy, diddy'. Start it all at a comfortable pace and then build it up. When both parts sound smooth, put 'em together.

I do them with a pick. It's about the only semi impressive thing I do on bass. I just fancied having a disco middle 8 in a rock song I wrote so I perservered slowly with a patient drummer building up the speed using the 'bum di' technoique as above first until I got it. It feels comfortable now and I just have to remember not to over use it.

String skipping is a difficult thing to do on the bass but here's an exercise of mine that will help, it's derived from a drum rudiment called a [i]paradiddle. [/i]

Example 1 shows the sticking pattern for a paradiddle which is right-left-right-right, left-right-left-left. If we take this pattern and translate it to an octave shape on the bass across two strings where 'R' equals the root and 'L' is the octave then we get the figure shown in example 2 - play this in strict index finger-middle finger alternation and you get a nice little workout.

Example 3 develops this idea in to an etude which will take you across the fretboard through the [i]cycle of fourths[/i] progression; each phrase is played on the A and G strings only.

Note the slide in to the beginning of each bar (or in the case of bar 3, a hammer-on from the open A), this ensures that you start each phrase with an alternate finger so that both get equal attention!

[attachment=234048:Preview of “Octave Exercises”.jpg]

[quote name='kusee pee' timestamp='1481918597' post='3196345']
When it's a diddy as opposed to a did on the top note, I tend to use thumb for the bom and middle then index for the diddy. Means I don't always have the attack on the bom that I'd like but it gives a comfortable hand position and makes the diddy easier.
[/quote]

I have tried that method, with success, but I felt like I was cheating! It does make the diddy easier, for sure!