Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ampeg SVT II non-pro

bigjimmyc

Hey BCers. Happy almost xmas shopping anxiety season.

Just wanted to write a few lines about my new (old) amp, and get some advice.

I swapped my TC BH800 with Calum of this parish for his SVT-II non-pro. It was a good deal and this thread isn't bemoaning that at all.

The SVT sounded a bit weak when I got it, and I felt like it was salvageable using my reliable amp tech Raphael Sutcliffe (Sutcliffe Amplification, Waterlooville). Upon testing he found several problems including four duff power tubes. Thanks to OBBM Dave we replaced those with matching Sveltanas and I got it back all fixed up on Tuesday.

The SVT is hooked up to my barefaced four10 (8-ohm), and the consensus so far is that it's ok using the 4-ohm tap.

The sound is really something else than I've heard before. It rings more like a bell than a bass. Cranking it up can give me an angry Geezer or even a full Lemmy. Inspiring stuff!

[Insert heft remark here]

My only concern is this: I thought it would be louder. I've taken it to 3 o'clock on the dial and it's loud but not nuclear. With other amps (incl the aforementioned BH800) I've found this cab is really loud, and I've tried switching to a 4-ohm cab instead (noticeably quieter) just to be sure.

This has been a reasonably expensive experiment so far, so before I splash out on more gear (Lozz's two10 for example) I'd thought I'd sound out the BC continuum. Where's my volume?

Cheers
Jim

I had a 2 pro and downsized the cab to a 4x10 which was 8 ohm. I was then told it would be bad for the amp's transformer and power valves. As many said it was ok, I continued to use it. After about 3 gigs, the power valves failed and had to be replaced..... along with the cab! I had an ex Ampeg engineer on talk bass tell me never to do it. Only 4 or 2 ohm. Good luck mate.

Makes sense.... I'm not normally one to avoid the logical answer.

Isn't it time we had switchable impedance cabs like many guitar cabs? I.e. The 4x10 can be 8 ohms (serial-parallel) or 2 ohms (all parallel).

Anyway, is this the reason my trousers are not flapping?

I have a Trace Elliot V6 which only has a 4ohm and 2ohm connection setting. This is pretty strange considering that the 4x12 and 2x15 cabs that Trace Elliot released for the amp all seem to be 8 ohm. Maybe in the 1990s people were just expected to buy a full stack...Anyway, I have used my Trace at low volumes with an 8 ohm cab, mainly to check that the amp actually worked. I certainly wouldn't use it for prolonged use with anything other than a 4 ohm or 2 ohm cab, which is why it is currently sitting unused until I buy another 4 ohm cab. The thought of having to replace the power tubes or transformer is enough to put me off.

Valve amps are expensive to fix. There are also limits to the amount of clean headroom you will get. The SVT II should still be incredibly loud though, so I would take it back to your tech for them to check it over again.

I have a SVT11Pro Premium,it's as loud as hell!BUT,mine went the same way as yours and i had the preamp tubes checked,and a few needed to be replaced,just a thought,but you may need to get them checked,good luck,Oh,mine has always been run with a 4Ohm cab.

• 1 month later...

Almost all amps suffer this problem.

My Markbass seems to be lacking a little on my 8 ohm cab, so am going to try it with two 8 ohm cabs this weekend. You need to bear in mind, it is designed to be paired with an 8x10!!!

Don't know why, but it's like you need to run it at minimum load to open it up and get the full depth of sound out of it ( it just volume!)

I hope you get it sorted, I don't know if there are many (if any) unhappy svt owners... but their backs might have a different opinion!!