Why become a member? ×

The full monty bass recording (YouTube: ''Brixton - Closer'')

Brixton

At some point, I've owned almost every godlike bass available. Fender Jazz, Rickenbacker 4003, Musicman Stingray and so on. Each with their own special qualities. Some are/were masterful live performers and some were near perfection in the studio. Yet none performed the delicate balance without some assistance from pre-amps, compressors and the like. A few years ago I was in a used instrument shop in New York. One of their seasons employees was telling me a story about Jaco Pastorious hauling his bass around without a case and sometimes in the rain (we all know the bass of which I'm speaking). From Weather Report gig to an impromptu jam. ''He would just walk in off the street to the club, plug into the mains and blow everyone's mind.'' As I was listening intently, I was also peering at this rather plain looking Warwick bass. I asked if I could have a go. ''We don't have a bass amp but you can plug into that powered monitor, it's old but it'll make sound.'' Well, better than nothing I suppose. I plugged in and... that was the first moment of the rest of my bass playing life. Funny how I was just hearing about a bass that needed only it's player; this bass was the objective entity of that story. I bought it straight away and wandered into the street (no case) just like Jaco had all those years ago. Since that day, my German made '99 Warwick Streamer Standard has encapsulated my every need in regard to bass.

Recently, the Warwick and I were in the studio recording my latest when I was asked: ''How much compression do you want on your bass?'' I decided that 'none' would do this time around. ''EQ?'' Let's go flat an see I said. ''So, your just going completely dry then?" Why not As it turns out, that was the best decision. The proverbial dressings had been removed, the crutches taken away, the net no longer there to break my fall and I was free.

In short, when you find that bass (and you will) you two will be all each other needs. Oh the Amp makers won't be happy but... listen for yourself... YouTube: ''Brixton - Closer'' and hear for yourself.

Cheers for your comment TheGreek. Warwicks aren't for everyone.
I'm delighted that most bass manufacturers do spend an exorbitant amount of time on design. My first bass (a Fender P) was great during the formative process of learning but, after playing a Ken Smith, I found that not all basses are created equal.
The most important thing is that we bassist, like fingerprints, are all individuals with different means and methodology. No matter what bass we choose (or what bass chooses us in some cases), the most important thing is that we're happy.

Not the sort of music I listen to but I liked the bass sound on that. Nice and growly and suited the mix.
I usually record with a precision through a Samsamp BDDI set with a bit of drive and not much else.
Last session I went through the producer/engineer got a free hand and stuck me through some expensive ancient valve DI into a reel to reel with all sorts of plugins and the end result sounded like someone else and a bit bland to my ears. So I think I know where you're coming from.
If you're Warwick is active it's already got something going on between the pickups and desk so you don't need to add all those bits just because they're there if you're happy with your sound.

Honestly, I didn't think anyone would read, let alone comment to this.

I've witnessed first hand, guitarists arguing amongst themselves about, well... everything really. I almost laugh when I see two guitarist talking and not arguing. Not once in my entire music career have I ever seen two bassist argue. I suppose it's because were too busy working or collecting the remains of our dead guitarists after they fight each other in a six string death match.

The reason you read this is probably the same reason I posted it. As bass players, we tend to think our way through things and learn from each other. What's more, I don't think I could start an argument on here even if I said Pete Wentz is a brilliant bass player. Well, maybe that would do it but, I would never say such a thing.

I'm finding Basschat more insightful than most bass player magazines (less adverts too). I'm learning quite a lot here.

Cheers for the compliments all. Hearing them from music enthusiasts is grand but, hearing them from fellow bass players is F'n champions league. Pardon my French.

Before I forget, my Warwick is the base model, cheap as chips line (passive electronics). I'm just happy that some German luthier decided to make a bass out of it before a toothpick company got it.