Why become a member? ×

Musicman Vs Lakland - Want a new 5 string

Sibob

A continuation from my status.

So I am currently down to two 4 string basses, my 1971 Precision and 1983 Squier JV Jazz.
I'm looking for a new 5 string with a maximum budget of £1K, although would like to try and spend a little less.

Previously I've had it in my head I should get a Musicman (Sterling preferably, but Stingray probably), however my budget, seeing as I'm not interested in Subs/Ray35s etc, mean I'm restricted to used ones.

However, recently the Lakland 55-01 has come onto my radar. Understated, fairly trad looking, solid. Specially like the vintage creme colour they have now.

So, anyone own both? Thoughts? Opinions?
I don't really have a Stingray sound in my head, just want a 5 that sits well in a mix, and can do thick/round to growly tones.

My spec preferences are:

Rosewood fingerboard (or rather, no maple)
1 or 2 humbuckers
Not toooo heavy

I've tried some Stingray 5s with varying degrees of success, ranging from "wow that's crap" to "really enjoy this".
Think I tried a sunburst 55-01 in the gallery a little while ago and it was great.

Things I'm not interested in:
G&L
Sandberg
Clover
Warwick
Maruszczyk
Fender

Anyway, over to you

Si

I used to own a Stingray 5 and now have a Lakland 55-02 and both are great.

The stingray had an incredibly aggressive in your face sound that I struggled to tame a lot of the time, but for a lot of pop type stuff I was playing it was great. I sold it because the string spacing did my head in, way to cramped in every way for me.

The Lakland is super solid, great build and very flexible. It does a fair representation of P/J/MM but doesn't have the up front aggressive sound of a stingray. My friend is a full time composer/writer/session player and uses one for everything, he calls it the Swiss army bass, it can do most things, I agree with that.

As much as I love the Lakland, mine is most likely going to get sold as I really want a nice 4 string (probably a Stingray 😄) but I think it's about as close to the perfect 5 string I have come so far.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481848969' post='3195766']
You have answered your own question, the 55-01 hasn't got any humbuckers, they are soapbars. I really like the 55-02, sounds like you need to go and try a few out in a shop?
[/quote]

Lol, well they're split coils, which are a type of humbucker.
Could always drop some Nordys in there too :)

Si

+1 for the 55-02, does everything well, and great to play, although they can be a little inconsistent in my experience, so try before you buy. The older Korean ones have more 'heft' tonally, IMHO. Or a 55-94, which has the edge, if your budget can stretch to one... I've got one of each, a DJ5 and a 55-76, but I'm a greedy b*stard...

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481848969' post='3195766']
You have answered your own question, the 55-01 hasn't got any humbuckers, they are soapbars. I really like the 55-02, sounds like you need to go and try a few out in a shop?
[/quote]

The 55-02 is a fantastic bass.
If you don't need it to do the Stingray sound... the 55-02 would get my vote. Really well made, well balanced, lovely neck dimensions (personal, I know), versatile without getting into crazy 307 combinations with 17 switches territory... I kind of regret selling mine.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1481862766' post='3195791']
+1 for the 55-02, does everything well, and great to play, although they can be a little inconsistent in my experience, so try before you buy. The older Korean ones have more 'heft' tonally, IMHO. Or a 55-94, which has the edge, if your budget can stretch to one... I've got one of each, a DJ5 and a 55-76, but I'm a greedy b*stard...
[/quote]

a 55-76!!!!! THAT is what I would like... so rare, 'though. A real Stingray 5 alternative, with the right string spacing :)

I love Stingrays and EBMM basses....in other people's hands. I just can't get on with the sound myself. The ergonomics and string spacing...fantastic

Lakland 5ers have huuuuge necks and wide string spacing. Great sound. But not for me ergonomically.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1481900501' post='3196136']
I love Stingrays and EBMM basses....in other people's hands. I just can't get on with the sound myself. The ergonomics and string spacing...fantastic

Lakland 5ers have huuuuge necks and wide string spacing. Great sound. But not for me ergonomically.
[/quote]

I've never really had any issues getting used to various different string spacings. I've had Fender 5s with 19mm spacings (like the Lakland), and my Fodera was a 17.5mm spacing (albeit quite light guage strings).
I liked the Fodera for speed and economy of movement, but for feel similarities to a 4 string (which are 19mm 99% of the time), I do quite like 18-19mm 5ers.

Si

Well, you've answered your own question then, Si, I reckon. Musicman for the sound, Lakland for the ergonomics +/- sound. Honestly, I have tried the 55-01 and the 55-02, and I preferred the sound and electronics of the 55-02 by some margin. But YMMV

Edited by funkle

I've had a Stingray 5 and a Lakland 55-02. The Lakland is a great instrument, great build, etc, as had been said previously. My issue with it was that it lacked a personality of it's own, whereas the 'Ray does what it says on the tin; it's an MM and sounds like one. The 55-02 fits many genres and is a fine piece of kit but, IMO, if you want something with a definite, recognisable tone, get the 'Ray.

I had an SR5 for 2 years. I'd describe it as OK and not for me.

It was replaced by a US 55-94 Lakland which I've been playing for the last 13 years. I've tried to replace the Lakland several times (once with a cheaper bass and once with a more expensive bass) but nothing matches up.

The Skylines I've played in shops have had the same feel.

I feel the need to say although I totally dig the Lakland, the SR5 that I owned just had that edge when it comes to build quality. Little touches like the truss rod wheel. Also a detail I loved is Music Man gloss the body and the headstock, but leave the back of the neck satin. And you can see where the gloss stops. Great little detail for me as I love satin necks. Stuff like that I really appreciate the thought put into it. A very seasoned pro instrument out of the box.

I had an SR5 in blue pearl with matching g headstock that was awsome, but my only bug was the weight. I still would go for the Laky as it is more versatile. But it doesn't really do a Jazz bass properly.

Edited by bubinga5

I have two SR5's now, and I find that with adjustment of the pre, finger position and level of attack, I can get a wide range of tones from mine.
Especially as one has a single in the neck position, it is even more so versatile. It may not be able to cop a p bass tone completely but if it was a tone I wanted, I would buy a P bass.
Go for something distinct, if you are considering it in the first place, it's obviously a tone you like.
Also is the laky a 35" scale? While it's wasn't impossible to play a 35", I find a 34" much more comfortable, and prefer
The 17.5mm string spacing to a 19mm on a 5er

Edited by Damonjames

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1481919072' post='3196351']
I have two SR5's now, and I find that with adjustment of the pre, finger position and level of attack, I can get a wide range of tones from mine.
Especially as one has a single in the neck position, it is even more so versatile. It may not be able to cop a p bass tone completely but if it was a tone I wanted, I would buy a P bass.
Go for something distinct, if you are considering it in the first place, it's obviously a tone you like.
Also is the laky a 35" scale? While it's wasn't impossible to play a 35", I find a 34" much more comfortable, and prefer
The 17.5mm string spacing to a 19mm on a 5er
[/quote]I never noticed the 35" scale on the Lakland. I did notice the tight spacing on the SR5 though.

Edited by bubinga5

I think most people compare the MM SR5H with the Lakland 55 (94, 01 or 02). However the MM can be had in the same HS arrangement as the Lakland or also in HH format so you can get that cute sound but with the added versatility of multiple pick ups.

Although a different bass I find I often use the HS setting on my Sabre as it just fattens the H sound slightly giving it slightly more bass.

Back in the early 2000s I was in the market for a 5 string and ended up with a shortlist of Lakland, Warwick Streamer, Yamaha BB2005 and MM SR5 - I did try others including Fenders - after a long time deliberating ended up taking the SR5 simply because I dug the core sound so much and the bass had enough versatility to do what I wanted - I even used it in a rockabilly band for a while!!

I switch between MM 4 strings with 19 MM spacing and the SR5 with 17.5 without problem - however I don't have large hands so find the spacing for a 5 to be just right - slightly more difficult to slap accurately but still easily possible - and the build quality and playability is just excellent - it's a heavy bass but no problem on a wide strap - and I think it gives it more growl and resonance.