Why become a member? ×

Musicman Vs Lakland - Want a new 5 string

Sibob

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481972452' post='3196649']
Stonking, 35" inch Stingray with wide spacing, just what so many people say they want so I don't understand why these are not more popular?
[/quote]

Well there's the rub I guess. Clearly not as popular a requirement as appears from forums.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1481974844' post='3196678']
Yeah never heard of that model (not that I'm a Lakland connoisseur), but looks great!

Si
[/quote]

I am surprised we don't see more and the 55-14 looked like a great deal (although the red one in guitar-guitar Birmingham didn't do it for me), I can't see any of those anywhere!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481972452' post='3196649']
Stonking, 35" inch Stingray with wide spacing, just what so many people say they want so I don't understand why these are not more popular?
[/quote]

That describes the MTD Artist to a T, but it didn't sound like a Stingray.

What I wanted was a 34" Stingray with a wide spacing. How do you get the pickup into the right place if you change the scale length? Ok, multiply the distance from the nut by 35/34 maybe, is it going to work the same way?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1481969960' post='3196611']
I don't think anyone should buy a bass because it can [i]sound like another bass[/i].

Buy the bass that sounds great and makes you sound like you.
[/quote]
I thought that the original idea behind the Lakland 4-94 / 55-95 was because a lot of players wanted a bass that could sound like a Stingray as well as a jazz bass? I think that Stingrays have a very distinctive sound, but it’s a very usable one that will work in most settings and the most important factor is always the player.

I have been thinking about getting a 5 string next year. My choice would be an Xotic or a full fat Lakland (if I could afford it) but as it probably won’t be my main instrument I am a little wary of spending that much money, so I may well get a s/h SR5 instead. The only thing that puts me off is the string spacing, but I am sure that I would get used to it soon enough.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481976976' post='3196698']
Ah but would it be if it was an EBMM model? will we ever know,will Big Poppa ever try it to find out? :lol:
[/quote]
[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1481977382' post='3196703']
Now you're being v wicked lol
[/quote]

A few years ago EBMM did propose a 19mm wide-spacing SR5 ('The SLO Special 5') which they vowed to produce is they got 125 advance orders. IIRC they only got orders for 3, so it never happened!

Here's the No Treble article:

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/07/01/ernie-ball-offers-test-run-of-music-man-stingray-5-string-bass-with-19mm-spacing/

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1481989898' post='3196821']

A few years ago EBMM did propose a 19mm wide-spacing SR5 ('The SLO Special 5') which they vowed to produce is they got 125 advance orders. IIRC they only got orders for 3, so it never happened!

Here's the No Treble article:

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/07/01/ernie-ball-offers-test-run-of-music-man-stingray-5-string-bass-with-19mm-spacing/
[/quote]

IIRC it was 50 orders required within one month of announcement.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1481990418' post='3196827']
IIRC it was 50 orders required within one month of announcement.
[/quote]

Not according to the No Treble article, but it's academic in any case. It would have been a really nice addition to their range IMO, but there clearly wasn't the demand for it. That said, the test run didn't seem to have been very widely advertised. Or is that just because we're the other side of the pond? I would have pre-ordered one if I'd known...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1481989240' post='3196813']

I have been thinking about getting a 5 string next year. My choice would be an Xotic or a full fat Lakland (if I could afford it) but as it probably won’t be my main instrument I am a little wary of spending that much money, so I may well get a s/h SR5 instead.
[/quote]

This is exactly me. Had an Xotic, lovely bass, would have kept it. But a 5er is second to my Precision for most gigs, plus buying a house, so wanted a cheaper 5 and free up some cash from the Xotic. I was all set to have fun searching for a used SR5, but with struggling to find the spec I want, at the price I want, with a new baby and new house stuff....I got bored quickly with shopping around used sites etc.
So today I purchased a 55-01 from The Gallery :).
NBD thread up a little later!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1482005683' post='3196971']

This is exactly me. Had an Xotic, lovely bass, would have kept it. But a 5er is second to my Precision for most gigs, plus buying a house, so wanted a cheaper 5 and free up some cash from the Xotic. I was all set to have fun searching for a used SR5, but with struggling to find the spec I want, at the price I want, with a new baby and new house stuff....I got bored quickly with shopping around used sites etc.

Si
[/quote]why on earth would you let an Xotic go you crazy fool. Imo one of the best 5 string Jazz basses ever made.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482012616' post='3197022']
why on earth would you let an Xotic go you crazy fool. Imo one of the best 5 string Jazz basses ever made
[/quote]

Simply because at the moment (whilst buying a house), I couldn't justify having £2k wrapped up in a bass that didn't get used as much as my Precision :).
As you mention though, probably best 'Super Jazzes' around, up there with Sadowsky. Would certainly own another!!

Si

Si
[/quote]

This is the perfect base (pun intended) for a couple of Nordstrand PUs ..... since you mentioned them:)
Big Singles in my book.

Edited by gillento

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1482049140' post='3197127']

This is the perfect base (pun intended) for a couple or Nordstrand PUs ..... since you mentioned them:)
Big Singles in my book.
[/quote]

If I went down this route (haven't gigged the stock Barts yet), then I would go Big Stacks or their full humbuckers.....I have a cool Jazz bass already :).
I'd also probably explore the Pope Flexcore preamp too, loved the Pre in my Fodera!

Si

Both sounds great. Go check 55-02's as well.

For me Lakland always wins purely because of the neck feel (my main is 55-94). Though not a fiver, I have an SR4 HH and I love it to bits but the neck feel isn't how I exactly want it. Lakland seems to have perfect neck profile for me.

I love MM tone. There's nothing like it. If that's what you want I'd go for it.

Just bear in mind that you will get a US made bass compared to 55-01/02 which is far east made. Not that there's anything wrong with that! They are as good as US made! It's just some people are concerned about that for some reason!

I owned a 44-02 Deluxe years ago, nice bass but a bit fancy for me (cherryburst quilted maple top), really boring grain maple fingerboard.
Sounded nice, but there was a real volume/output difference between the humbuckers and the Jazz pickup, which you're expect, so I'm not really fussed about that config.

Si

• 3 weeks later...

Si
[/quote]
I have just gone and bought a nice full fat s/h SR5 off eBay for £700...!

Just got to sell one of my other basses now to pay for it...

Si
[/quote]

A very good choice :) My first 5-string I had was a SR5, weak sound from the pickup and floppy B-string. Many years later I treated myself to a MTD 535. Better B-string, but too many dead spots on the fretboard. After that, my first Lakland, a 55-01. Cheap as hell, firm and articulate B-string and no dead spots! The pickups are OK, but for the price its a great bass!. Never looked back. Next 5-string I had was a Lakland USA 5-string JO and the last few years a Skyline 55-64 which actually has a even better fretjob than the JO, the bass basically plays itself.

I'm never changing 5-string brand again! :)