Why become a member? ×

Grill cloth flapping solution?

Myth_103

Hey guys! I've recently built a 2x15 + mid bass cabinet. The cabinet sounds incredible without a grill cloth, but the cloth vibrates at high volumes when I play certain low notes. The frame is built as a vertical rectangle with a horizontal center divider.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this? The cloth is tight everywhere. I've tried cinching the cloth down to the frame with thread, but I feel that's only a temporary fix. Not sure if using some type of glue wouldn't show through the front...

do you mean the cloth vibrating is making noise?

it would most likely be the frame or bracing that is making a noise.

If someone can play while you press down on the frame in different spots til you find where the vibration is coming from might help.

can you post a pic so we have a better idea?

I'd guess that the sound is the cloth flapping against the divider. You could remove the cloth and either rebuild the frame with the divider recessed slightly or add strips of thin wood around the edges to raise the cloth above the rest of the frame by a couple of mm, then refit the cloth. If you're determined not to refit the cloth, perhaps try slipping some black felt or foam gasket tape in between the cloth and divider. If you've used a synthetic grille cloth, heating it up with a hot hairdryer (or a heat gun on low) to shrink and tighten it slightly may help too.

The cloth itself moves when I play a low B. I'm pretty sure it's the cloth moving against the wooden frame that's making the noise.

I'm using Mojotone's "Mojoweave" grill cloth.

People build their grill cloth frames where the only place touching is just on the outside edges (1/8" ish strips around the front edges)? I supposed that may eliminate buzzing against the frame, but wouldn't it be more prone to loosening over time this way?

[quote name='Myth_103' timestamp='1481919110' post='3196352']
The cloth itself moves when I play a low B. I'm pretty sure it's the cloth moving against the wooden frame that's making the noise.

I'm using Mojotone's "Mojoweave" grill cloth.

People build their grill cloth frames where the only place touching is just on the outside edges (1/8" ish strips around the front edges)? I supposed that may eliminate buzzing against the frame, but wouldn't it be more prone to loosening over time this way?
[/quote]you could also try refitting the cloth after warming it with a hairdryer first. As it closed it will tighten on the frame.