Why become a member? ×

Leading finger?

highwayman

After starting my bass playing with a plectrum (having migrated from guitar), this week I've decided to back-track a bit with a new tuition book and a resolve to try playing fingerstyle. It's going ok. in fact I'm quite enjoying it. I'm only planning on using the index and middle fingers at this stage and what I'd like to know is which one's best to lead with?

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]I look at it from the viewpoint of the classical guitarists, as there is merit in using the other fingers alone and in combination to add to the techniques of pizzicato, plectrum and bow. They use the mnemonic PIMAC, for Thumb (Pulgar), Index, Middle, Ring (Annular) and Pinky (Cuatro). They use all five digits in a number of combinations as per the following:[/size][/font]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]P: soft attack, strumming double-stops[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]PI: wide intervals such as rapid octaves, double-stops, pinch and artificial harmonics[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]PM: wide intervals such as tenths, double-stops[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]PIM: speed, triple-stops, tenths with added 7/7b/6[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]PIMA: speed, pumping quavers[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]I: consistency in timing and tone for certain passages, the walking bass hook[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]IM: pizzicato walking, both together for support[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]IMA: pizzicato walking[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]M: consistency in timing and tone for certain passages.[/size][/font]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]There's also appoyando and tirando. [/size][/font][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]And of course, Thump/Slap and one or two fingered Pop.[/size][/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=5]The above matrix is a more wholistic way of looking at technique. There must be more...[/size][/font]

Edited by CrackerJackLee

Great detail & something to aspire to ref. that last post! As a beginner though I'll stick with the ring and index for the time being!
Made a commitment yesterday by putting all of my plectrums into my bass's flightcase - still think that they create a badass sound, but I need to develop as a bassist.

With that attitude, you'll have it down in no time. Most BP's won't mention it, but pizzicato is one of the most difficult techniques to learn and master. Honestly. I can barely remember but it took a lot of effort. Very frustrating, so you better hide those plectrums well. But in a few months, it became natural. No matter what you think, that is the truth. It comes in it's own time. I started bass with just the thumb. After hearing Motown, I knew that wasn't going to work out. But I enjoy plectrum bass. Like that BP that plays for Bert Kaempfert (Ladi Geisler). The tone and definition, especially while muting, is worth the price of admission. Cheers!

Interesting posts - I started with two finger technique self taught. First and second finger.
Bought two instructional videos some years back 1980's Jerry Jermmott advocated two fingers because he liked their different sound due to difference in length and pad hardness so produce an uneven walk do-da-do-da-do-da
Then got Randy Jacksons video and he advocated using just the index finger so everything sounds even with the same attack. :huh:
After thirty five years I still use both 1st & 2nd alternately, but find myself using just index a lot more. I also use third finger for softer attack and also 1 & 3. I have instruction books that say you should lead with the second finger first :blink:
so its about what the song requires but also how you have applied your time in the shed. What works for you