Why become a member? ×

Growly Pub Rock Amp for a Growly Pub Rocker

redbandit599

Hi all

I've been gigging for a while with an EBS rig, HD350, neo 212 and 210 (mix and match to taste B) ) it is a damn fine rig if I do say so myself.

Lately though I've been thinking about trying something a little more ' punchy tubey sounding' (can't be arsed with the real thing though) and with that low mid growl that goes well with the rock stuff which I mostly play.

I've had a look at a few Youtube demos of various stuff, but they seem to be mostly comprised of highly talented, slappitty tappity types playing solo (good luck to them btw!) and so bear little relation to what I do. Which is banging out the lines finger style with a couple of guitarists churning away either side.

I know I'm not alone - there's plenty like me out there. So, real world, pub rock giggers what have you got that delivers the growl? I've got various pedals e.g. VT Bass that'll get me there with my current rig, but ideally I like to get that growly stuff from the amp itself and just use modulation type effects.

The GK MB Fusion series looks well regarded and like it'd do the job - but the videos I've seen for this (and other similar contenders) all sound a bit thin, hence the post!

Cheers all

Jason

I have a Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.2 with valve pre-amp ... cranking up the pre-amp gain gives plenty of growl, and it gets ferociously loud with everything up! You'll never get quite the same sound as a full valve amp, but in real life situations (i.e. pub gigs) you'll rarely be able to tell the difference.
And re. your original post, I'd be very wary about judging the sound of any amp or bass on youtube (or any other) videos, as you're not hearing the sound of the amp as much as the quality of the recording/playback hardware & software!
Best thing to do is pick out a few likely amps and find somewhere you can try them out! Preferably at about 10:30pm on a Friday night in a busy pub!! :-)

Cheers - have just found a good deal on Bax for a GK Fusion MB500 (15% discount code on an already low price so £474 in case anyone is interested), so will give that a go and take advantage of the return option if it doesn't do what I want. I'll get the full 500 watts into my 212 as it's a 4ohm cab so that's a bonus.

Yep, obviously the real deal is the 'best' but I'm with Hazy Bass in that good, growly and near enough will be fine ;) YouTube videos are infuriating fun - like searching for the Holy Grail, when deep down you know you won't find it...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482054894' post='3197168']
Don't do ANYTHING until you've checked out the HandBox R-400 ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282884-handbox-bass-amplification-new-to-the-uk/"]Thread here[/url])

Best amp I've ever owned, and that's a lot of amps.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEnzJVaMpmo[/media]

[/quote]

I seem to remember you posted a live video, that thing sat so well in the mix iirc!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482064822' post='3197286']

It does - it's marvellous, and I make no apologies for endlessly going on about it :-D
[/quote]
Any info on where you get them/ cost? I did a search but can only find the homepage in Poland and links to people on hear singing their praises.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1482064889' post='3197287']

Any info on where you get them/ cost? I did a search but can only find the homepage in Poland and links to people on hear singing their praises.
[/quote]

I believe they're 600EUR. You can contact Leszek at [email protected] for more info on lead times, etc.

I like the look of the handbox stuff, especially the all valve ones that have been mentioned on here (but they don't seem to be actually making any of them at the minute). Of the other stuff mentioned I've had the Orange Terror and the Walkabout. I think the Orange was the better fit for what you're after. A little more unruly... And oh so LOUD...

Thanks all. I've had a look at the Orange and Walkabout - they both look good. No need to feel sheepish Coleya , I'd spotted your ad. If Manchester was closer to the Essex Sunshine Coast (48 hrs of fog) I'd be tempted to try it.
As it is I'll give the GK Fusion I've got on the way a go, if it's not up to it I think you've all given me some good options. Thanks all for your input and time! 😃🤘🏻

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482054894' post='3197168']
Don't do ANYTHING until you've checked out the HandBox R-400 ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282884-handbox-bass-amplification-new-to-the-uk/"]Thread here[/url])

Best amp I've ever owned, and that's a lot of amps.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEnzJVaMpmo[/media]

[/quote]

I hope you're on commission for Handbox! If not, you might want to renegotiate your promotional status towards their products.