Why become a member? ×

MUSIC MAN chips

B.Flat

Can anyone tell me what the difference in sound and performance is between an LM4250CN chip and the TL062 chip, as used on Stingrays?
I am doing an S'Ray rebuild ( 2 band) and have the option of either chip. I know the TL062 is used on the three band preamp, would it work on the two band ? Would it sound different, better or worse? I know that is a subjective thing, so not a good question, but any opinions would be good to hear!

I'd be surprised if the chip itself contributed much to the sound. Why not build the circuit with an IC holder so you can swap? the parts are cheap as, er, chips. Actually, the tl062 is a dual op-amp, so not pin compatible. The TL061 is a single though and may be a drop-in replacement.
I haven't looked at the data sheets, but you might find one is lower power while the other has lower noise. There's usually some trade off unless you buy more expensive op-amps and it's questionable again if you'd hear the difference on a gig!

[quote name='B.Flat' timestamp='1482069969' post='3197343']
Can anyone tell me what the difference in sound and performance is between an LM4250CN chip and the TL062 chip, as used on Stingrays?
I am doing an S'Ray rebuild ( 2 band) and have the option of either chip. I know the TL062 is used on the three band preamp, would it work on the two band ? Would it sound different, better or worse? I know that is a subjective thing, so not a good question, but any opinions would be good to hear!
[/quote]

Are you building the preamp yourself or have someone doing it for you ?
As Moon BassAlpha points out the LM part is a single cf the dual TL062.
What is the second TL062 stage used for ?
The LM part is a bit more complicated in that it has a programmable current which affects power consumption and performance characteristics.
Either device will sound fine but from a quick skim of the data sheets I think you'll get a quieter (as in less noise) circuit with the LM part although whether that's significant in the context of a Hi-Z pickup source is debatable.

Thanks for the replies. Yes Moonbass I have some IC holders and had thought of doing this. I know the TL062 is used on the three band MM preamps, so I don't know if a dual is required for this or not, my electronics knowledge is zilch.
The reason I opened this thread was t see if anyone said either the TL062 will not work with the original pre-EB board, or avoid it like the plague or some such advice. I actual gigging difference will be so minimal I think I will stick to the LM.
Any other advice will be gratefully received.
Thanks