Why become a member? ×

Anyone Here know About Wharfedale Amps/Cabs?

Count Bassie

Greetings, been awhile. Had a question if you'll suffer it...

I just came a cross a Wharfdale WHB300H and a matching 212 combo. It looks very fancy in its red suit, and I wonder if any of you folks have experience with or knowledge of it? I'm in the market for a new head, and am curious.

Thanks for your time.

And don't forget those safety goggles. :)

I had a massive PA from them in an older band. it consisted in x2 2x15"+22 tweeter cabs and x2 1x15"+1.5" Tweeter on top of them. Each pair run by a Phonic 3.1 poweramp. They were the Pro series (red logo). Until today they are the best PA i've ever had and heard, shame it was so heavy, great clean natural sound with lots of heft even though we didn't have any subs. I'll check this out, didn't know they were in to bass gear also.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I believe that Steve Grindrod, former Technical Director (27 years) of Marshall and Managing Director (8 years) of Vox, teamed up with Wharfedale to market new amplifying equipment. They traded under the Wharfedale label initially, but soon became "Albion".

Untill recently I had an Albion TCT35 1x12 Combo and have recently moved up to the TCT50 2x12. Superb sounding guitar amplifiers !! Not sure if they did anything for bass though ?

If you can put up with the silly hat, here's a reasonable demo of what the TCT35 can do....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDLY7IveZq4

Before it was sourced overseas, I remember Wharfedale being produced around Leeds/Bradford.In fact there used to be a Wharfedale factory in Shipley, think it was for TV's. All made in the far east now, last I saw by them was a nifty vocal monitor that attached to your mic stand, like the TC Helicon thing.

Wharfedale were a major manufacturer of HiFi loudspeakers. There were many models : Denton, Linton, Glendale, Dovedale, Airedale.....the most recent being the Diamond which was (is ?) available in many configurations, bookshelf, floorstander and active. Just checked, still doing HiFi stuff.

I believe it was the pro music side of Wharfedale that Steve Grindrod became involved with. Some background info here:

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/feature-albion-amps/016412