Why become a member? ×

Newbie here - Should I go long scale (34 inch) or short scale (30 inch)?

Numerov

I'm a guitar player with (what I consider to be) short-ish fingers.
I want to learn a little bass mainly so I can record bass parts on home demos to start with.

I've tried a short scale bass (Squier VM Jaguar SS) and found it comfortable as it is short scale and has a narrow neck (1.5 inches/38mm ) which does not get much wider as you go up the neck). Radius is 9.5 inches
I quite like its sound. It;s around £250 new. Can't justify spending too much more than this.

I've tried a Revelation RPJ77 full scale which is between £150 and £180 and to me sounds bigger and better.
I don't know how much this is due to the instrument being bigger and how much due to the pickups probably being better (Alan Entwistle PBXN and JBXN - neodymiums).
The neck I think is 43mm and don't know the radius, I found this far more difficult to play.
I think the scale possibly had more to do with it than the neck width - but not sure.
The Revelation also has superior build quality in my opinion.

It's very tempting to take the short scale option. The Jaguar SS does sound pretty decent - but would I be better off taking the tougher option and going with the full scale option and after some time I would master that neck??

How long (approximately) does it take to master the long scale neck if you focus on the correct exercises every day for 20 minutes or so?

Advice required!! Thank you...

Numerov

I guess any instrument would take a lifetime to master, but I'd have to get back to you on that one.

As for short or long scale, I would go with what feels best without compromising too much on tone. I know that my smallish hands are much more comfortable on a short scale so I'm not thinking so much about what I'm playing and am able focus on what I'm hearing. I'd imagine that if you're feeling some discomfort this would be harder to do.

But whichever you choose, play mindfully every day and you should notice improvement pretty quickly. I'd imagine being a guitarist already will help.

My hands are small, yet I have no issues with a bass and I actually prefer big chunky necks too. However, when I started out, after years of guitar, I gravitated towards Jazz basses because of the thin neck. With that in mind, I'd ask how interested are you in playing bass. If you just want simple basslines for demos, and you don't really care too much about learning the instrument, I'd go with what feels most comfortable right now that does the job. However, if you want to take up bass a bit more seriously, I'd go 34", purely because there's just so much more to choose from.

Do try the bass first. Despite having the same scale, some basses feel like they have a very long neck compared to others, which is just due to where the neck meets the body and bridge placement.

The neodymium Entwistle pickups are probably some of the best cheap pickups out there. They have a very big powerful sound, so I'm not surprised they make the bass sound bigger.

As the others above have said - try a few and see what feels most comfortable. A lot of guitar players seem to prefer short scale and slim necks, but I know a few guitarists who play full (long scale) bass too. It all depends on how the individual bass feels to you, to your hands and fingers and how it fits in with your playing style....

Sometimes a smaller and / or narrower neck can feel uncomfortable in its' own way - or perhaps you can't get your fingers in between strings (if you're playing finger style, as opposed to pick) - or maybe you prefer space between notes at the nut end of the neck?

Personally, I prefer slightly wider spacing at the bridge end of the strings (so I can really "dig-in" when I feel like it) and not too wide + deep a neck at the nut end. My hands and fingers are not huge, by any means. That said, I once owned a fab US Jazz 70's RI bass, but felt the neck on that was too slim. A word of warning here - we tend to talk about P necks being chunkier and J necks being slimmer. That is generally true, but there are slimmer P necks and chunkier J necks, just to add to the confusion...

Which is why it's just best to try as many as possible and choose what feels most comfortable to you
Good luck with your search

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482143043' post='3197893']

Do try the bass first. Despite having the same scale, some basses feel like they have a very long neck compared to others, which is just due to where the neck meets the body and bridge placement
[/quote]
Very much this ^
Try a few 34" basses where the bridge is set well back...a Cort Curbow is a perfect example (and maybe a perfect bass for you). Although being, and sounding, full scale, the nut is inches closer to you than many other basses...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1482168934' post='3198198']
....Try a few 34" basses where the bridge is set well back...a Cort Curbow is a perfect example (and maybe a perfect bass for you). Although being, and sounding, full scale, the nut is inches closer to you than many other basses...
[/quote]

I forgot to mention this in my first post. Some long scale basses don't feel as long as others, due to body shape, where the bridge is set etc. Also I've played a few short scale basses that don't feel that short - due to having a small body, the strap button is set further back, and so the nut is further away from you...

Again, it's all down to personal taste, comfort and preference etc etc. But do let us know how you get on

When you walk in to a guitar shop - let them know your situation - I'm sure they'll let you try as many as you like (if they're any good)

Edited by Marc S

I took up bass about 6 months ago recently after playing guitar for years. I went straight for a long scale and found that I adjusted pretty quickly. When I first picked up a Fender Precision it felt like a cricket bat and I thought "why do people love these so much?". It really didn't take very long at all for it to feel normal. It's not like when your hands first had to adjust to playing guitar. Most of the work is already done.

I would go long because, as already mentioned, you will have a lot more choice (and, given that you're on basschat, it seems fairly inevitable that you will feel an irresistible urge to fill your house with the damn things before too long ;)). Just my 2 cents.

I have short- and long-scale basses. Hand size, and relative ease of getting around on a short-scale neck aside, play one to see if the string tension of a short suits you. A longer string requires more tension to bring to pitch.

After the somewhat floppy strings of my short-scale, my long-scale Fender feels great.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1483541946' post='3208068']
I have short- and long-scale basses. Hand size, and relative ease of getting around on a short-scale neck aside, play one to see if the string tension of a short suits you. A longer string requires more tension to bring to pitch.

After the somewhat floppy strings of my short-scale, my long-scale Fender feels great.
[/quote]

Tension of the strings is also down to the gauge, and differs between manufacturers and brands too....
I don't particularly get on well with flats for instance (even though I also play DB) but the TI flats on my fretless are amazingly low tension, even though they are full scale. I recently picked up some Neon DR strings too - I like them, but I find they're slightly higher tension than the 2 other brands I'm using; Rotosound and D'Addario (if that's how you spell it! lol).

Edited by Marc S

I dont have a problem playing long scale, but for me, as I have small hands, a short scale is heaven. Even the first 3 frets are no problem and as I like a bit of vibrato the string tension is better. Try both and see what suits you. Everything about an instrument is personal and no one can tell you what is best for you.

Isn't 'Long Scale' mentioned here (34") actually what we nearly all play as normal, given there are 35" scale Basses and beyond? I've a 32" scale Ibanez Artcore and 2 X 34" P and Jazz basses and move easily between the 3 of them.
I have huge hands but paradoxically have never had problems with string spacing that was too 'tight'. A further issue can be around how you spread and articulate your fingers.

I have 34" and 30" basses but my preference is for three 32" basses I have admittedly they are somewhat aged now being made in the early 80's but the build quality is great as is the play-ability.
Its well worth checking out the 32" basses see note you will find them listed as 820mm here http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass.html
I've bought three in the last 6 months Aria Pro II Cardinal 300, Cardinal 450 and a Hondo Professional II all good instruments.

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1483784587' post='3210041']
I've always found the choice in strings for short scale basses is very limited.
[/quote]

You need to be careful when ordering short scale strings many 30" scale basses need 32" (medium scale) strings, my Epiphone Violin bass (30.5" scale) needs 32" strings. The problem is the "trapeze" type string retainer is spaced back from the bridge resulting in the loss of 1~1.5" of string.
Rotosound or D'Addairo make suitable 32" strings.

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1483784587' post='3210041']
I've always found the choice in strings for short scale basses is very limited.
[/quote]
Yes. Scale length is not the only problem, or may not even be a problem. I can't find flats for a 30" of suitable tension (don't get on with rounds). I use TI flats on my 34" P which I find easier than a 30" scale, There is no TI 30" flats , or I would try them. I dont have large hands or fat fingers but the string tension and narrow nut on the 30" is something I can't get used to, but the fret spacing does not see to be a problem - I have 30, 32 and 34 scales..

Further to bluebottle's post, this may help, there is a link in this post for ball to taper lengths:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/273227-best-flatwound-strings-for-30-scale/page__view__findpost__p__2909037"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2909037[/url]

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1483807078' post='3210280']
.....There is no TI 30" flats , or I would try them.....
[/quote]

I'm sure I've seen them in my local music shop
Aren't these suitable too? - I know it says 32" - but it does state "Short scale" in the description....
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thomastik-Infeld-JF324-Flat-Wound-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar-Strings-/322218365772?hash=item4b05b6134c:g:rD8AAOSwbYZXe9Zp"]http://www.ebay.co.u...D8AAOSwbYZXe9Zp[/url]

Edited by Marc S