Why become a member? ×

Kinda random tech help needed !

StHellion

Hi all,

I'm working away from home for six months, so I packed the essentials. Toiletries, immodium (I'm in the far east) clothes, laptop and my bass :D

I wanted to play my bass and also practice along to some tracks on my ipod. So, I also brought my Zoom B3 (which caused a mild stir at security!). I have to admit, I've tried something a little 'sketchy' but I couldn't really fit my Peavey combo in the overhead locker.....

Almost embarrassed to admit what I've done, but nuts to it, I wanna play my bass.

Ok, so Zoom B3 headphone out into a headphone splitter :blink:. Headphone cable from iPod into same splitter and then both into a pair of headphones. Told you it was sketchy :lol: When I play my bass it's fine, but as soon as I add music from the iPod, the volume of the bass drops a lot. It's probably something to do with resistance or sensitivity but I'm no techie I'm afraid. Any ideas gratefully received!

I'm trying it with some cheap over ear Sennheiser headphones, I have some nice ADAC sony headphones, but I don't want to damage them !!!

If all else fails I'll find a music shop and get a little practice amp or something.

Cheers

Pocket Rockit has a dedicated line input that's kept separate from the bass input, so no more impedance loading.

https://pocket-rockit.myshopify.com/collections/pocket-rockit

Or a small mixer, but that's more weight to carry - Pocket Rockit will fit in your bass case. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1482235556' post='3198649']
you can use the B3 as an audio interface, so plug it into your laptop using the USB, install the drivers, plug your bass and headphones into the zoom, and play music off your laptop
[/quote]

I admit i had to google the back pannel of the B3 because i thought that it had a aux in but when i saw it didn't this was my second idea. Should work fine.

Another vote for the B1. For about £45 you get a brilliant fx pedal with the ability to add another input. You might miss the ability to whizz around the patches as it has two pedals rather than three on the B3, but it crams tons of useful stuff in a compact, airport security friendly package.

Just plug the laptop into the B3 via USB and play music out through the USB, that is how I practice at night. The B3 is a standard USB audio device. If you have a mac it will just automatically switch to it, or you can do it from the audio menu, on windows there is probably some way to switch in the audio panel.

Edited by Woodinblack