Why become a member? ×

Whats the deal with Fender?

Light Grenade

I am new to this game having only been playing a few months but my experiences have not made Fender top of my wanted list. Knowing they have a reputation for being excellent I sought them out to have a go to set a benchmark. I have to admit I was disappointed by the build quality compared to the opposition. Sound is very variable but that could well be down to the set up and I don't have the experience to determine which it is. But the feel wasn't as good as others for the same or less money. Perhaps it's down to expectation and if you expect something to be superior it's easier to be disappointed than if you have no opinion at all. The one that really stood out was a Fender dimension which being their entry level bass you wouldn't expect to be amazing but it felt a lot cheaper than the basic Ibanez which was half the price and sound wise I preferred the Ibanez (but that's subjective). Neither sounded as good as the worn Aria I ended up buying for peanuts, or felt as good for that matter. Being such a beginner I am coming at this from a different angle to most of you very experienced folk but I have a background in engineering and from that point of view they were nothing to shout about. Then on the other hand you see someone play one that has obviously been around the world and back and it sounds superb, so has the quality dropped? Do they need to be bedded in? Or does it come down to what you play it through as much as the the bass itself? I don't know.......

Edited by T-Bay

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1482222766' post='3198504']

I suspect the tight margins make them reluctant to spend out on set ups, even though it might well generate more sales.
[/quote]Isn't this part of what guitar shop assistants do.? Cant see them paying overtime for there hopefully knowledgeable staff to make sure what there selling works as it should. There is no excuse for instruments to be badly set up.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482231495' post='3198594']
How is Fender or the shop going to set up a bass? High or low action, lightweight rounds or heavy duty flats? Either way they'll be wrong for someone.

I can tell if a bass is one I'd like to play even with a mile high or stupidly low action.

Fender have given people too much ammunition over the years but set up is personal and easy to work through.
[/quote]

+1 I don't need a bass to be perfectly set up to know if i like it or not. Fit finish feel and QC can be observed even without playing it. Tone is subjective but you can guess if it will work with you if you know that what you're hearing is being affected in a way by high/low set up fresh/old round/flat strings etc.

I usually go pass those things and play it safe not buying any Fender gear, i buy Yamahas. ;)

The reality is that after around the £400 mark the quality starts to increase in quality is very small, I've never been totally blown away by anything, just bits of wood screwed together at the end of the day.

I'm surprised to hear of bad frets though, the one thing I hear all the time is how nice the post 2008 and then 2012 necks are, mine is spot on.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482231495' post='3198594']
How is Fender or the shop going to set up a bass? High or low action, lightweight rounds or heavy duty flats? Either way they'll be wrong for someone.

I can tell if a bass is one I'd like to play even with a mile high or stupidly low action.

Fender have given people too much ammunition over the years but set up is personal and easy to work through.
[/quote]Isn't it all about a mid way. I don't want to play a bass that is buzzing neither do I want to play a bass that I have to reach for the strings to play a note. I think the general consensus for a shop is to put some roundwounds on the bass as there the most popular string, and if a customer wants a flat wound set put on so be it. Or to lower or lift the action to where she/he wants. It should be playable to the general public. I've been into shops where there is a G string was missing off the bass, then another experience in Guitar Guitar was where I wanted to play a Sadowsky and the guy has played the bass for me with some sh*te machine gun slap. The point is it should be a good retail experience. The times ive been to see Mark at Bass Direct and everything has been spot on. It's the old, when sales get bigger, the bigger the shop, the bigger the staff, the less care is taken. It's the nature of the beast. This rings true with companies that make instruments. Not always of course. Music Man seem to buck that trend. Mmm. I wonder why.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1482233345' post='3198618']
PMT don't.
Cranes never did either. Only place I know of that sets up their guitars before selling is Gamlins. They get quite a few people buying stuff in PMT & then taking it to them to pay for a set up because PMT don't have anyone that does it.
[/quote]

PMT certainly set up 2 guitars for different pals of mine (or possibly sent them elsewhere for setting up)
And I've played a few basses in there, all of which were definitely set up well. I discussed the possibility of tweaking the action of one bass (if I had bought it) and was told "no problem - we'll set it up to your requirements"

Oddly enough, I've played some badly or not set up guitars and basses, in Gamlins! A friend of mine bought a rather nice Gibson SG from them, and it was set up awfully. The guitar was taken back, they charged again for a set up and nothing had changed! So I directed them to Dave Dearnaley, who did a cracking job....

Another pal has also bought a mandolin from PMT, and though that wasn't set up when he first tried it (it was straight out of the box at the time) - they tweaked the bridge with some fettling, and it played beautifully when he picked it up....

Back to the OP.
If I was looking for a decent Precision - I'd be wanting to try something like this
Although I haven't played this one, there's a lot of love for these 62 RI's
and I have dealt with the seller before - he's a decent BC'er

Great colour, and good condition for its' age too :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295907-fender-precision-mij-19931994-62-ri-with-case/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482233526' post='3198623']
Isn't this part of what guitar shop assistants do.? Cant see them paying overtime for there hopefully knowledgeable staff to make sure what there selling works as it should. There is no excuse for instruments to be badly set up.
[/quote]

I wouldn't let a lot of the shop assistants I've encountered, go anywhere near an instrument with anything other than a plectrum :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1482233345' post='3198618']
PMT don't.
Cranes never did either. Only place I know of that sets up their guitars before selling is Gamlins. They get quite a few people buying stuff in PMT & then taking it to them to pay for a set up because PMT don't have anyone that does it.
[/quote]

Either PMT in Oxford does, or I have been exceptionally lucky with the two US Fenders and one Mex I have bought there over the last few years, all were set up exactly to Fender spec.

Will also have to scout around when I'm back down after the Holiday season.

Have to say though, my last two shopping excursions in Glasgow to local stores have not been great. One particular shop in my experience was rather sour, which is a shame as I was minutes away from purchasing some pedals, but didn't have the best staff interaction (some general rudeness), so left, and just went home.

• 3 weeks later...

It is worrying that the quality control at Fender seems to be very hit and miss. I had one where the neck needed a shim on arrival. It shouldn't have to be down to the shop to set them up although there some dealers who pride themselves in getting them to perfection, if you can find one.

The smaller manufacturers have to establish a reputation in order to compete with the "Leo" brand, because that seems to be the bass most pro bands are using ( but of course that may not be the bass they record with), and they have a techie to set up the instrument for them.

I just bought a MIM Precision and the neck is lovely. Frets dressed easily as well as my US Standard strat. The only issue was the four outer corners of the nut were a bit sharp. Didn't take much to sort that out.
I admit to being a Fender fan but I'm definitely not a Fender fan-boy. The prices for some of the stuff they are putting out are a bit ridiculous, but I think it mostly comes down to perception as to whether you [i]think [/i]you are getting something of value. My bass was on sale and had nearly £200 off the current retail. I could have bought another make for half the money and probably gotten at least as good a bass, but I'm happy with what I got. And the extra money will long be forgotten when the satisfaction of having a Fender Precision still remains (for me at least). As always, you pays your money............ ;)

Edited by fftc

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1482190076' post='3198415']
I tried to convince myself that a few of them were worth the cash, but this was blown out the water when I played a Lakland 44-64 PJ hybrid. Everything about that bass in terms of build quality and play ability crushed the Fenders.
[/quote]
If it looks like a duck, has webbed feet, lives in a puddle and says "Quack" then it's a duck...in my experience Lakland do Fender much better than Fender do Fender.

The choice between Lakland or Fender is a no brainer in my book...

I've seen one Fender Precision that I've liked; when I said to the bloke in the shop it looked nice he said "That's my one!" and I can't remember how old it is.

I'm making one up from parts for the heck of it, but I can't say I've really aspired to owning one.

I don't particularly get the 3rd-party super-Fenders; I think they should get a bit of imagination and do their own thing.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484348824' post='3214949']
I've seen one Fender Precision that I've liked; when I said to the bloke in the shop it looked nice he said "That's my one!" and I can't remember how old it is.

I'm making one up from parts for the heck of it, but I can't say I've really aspired to owning one.

I don't particularly get the 3rd-party super-Fenders; I think they should get a bit of imagination and do their own thing.
[/quote]
3rd party super-Fenders exist because they're doing what Fender should have done in the first place. Proper QC. I don't think I've ever played a Lull/Sadowsky/Xotic/Sandberg etc. and not thought this is a very good bass.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484348824' post='3214949']
[/quote]

They're for people who like the Fender style but actually want a really good one.

I know the myths will probably never die, but Fender since 2008 is not the Fender of old.

I have an Am Std Jazz V which is a very decent bass. IMO worth every penny. I just tried out a new Am Pro Jazz V and it was a cracker. It felt good to play and the pickups sounded very good. An excellent sounding 34" 5 string bass.

The problem Fender have with the new range is that people don't equate them with expensive instruments. The complaint is Fenders cost too much, but these are far better basses so why should they cost peanuts.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1484391724' post='3215117']

They're for people who like the Fender style but actually want a really good one.
[/quote]
Better than my answer! Unfortunately for Fender it's the truth. Would everyone still be driving Ford's just because it's the 'original' production car? Of course not - there is more choice and better stuff out there.

I'm not a fender person (although I do have a 35" jazz 5 alike) but as long as the QC and build is perfect for the money you pays yer money etc. However Fender are paragons of QC compared with Gibson and Rickenbacker..

Although a Dimension V HH looks interesting. So they do try

Edited by markstuk