Why become a member? ×

Any decent budget cables?

Harryburke14

The Planet Waves Classic Series ones get good reviews and are serving me very well for around a tenner, they have proved more reliable than the custom Van Damme / Neutrik ones I got made up (not by OBBM I might add) with no detectable difference in tone. They have a lifetime warranty too.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1482259600' post='3199042']
Cheap = crap

Best quality/price ratio is our very own OBBM, aka RockWire cables.
[/quote]

cheap cables are a bad bad bad idea, especially when a good one doesn't cost so much!

Cables by OBMM are a great choice. Similar can be obtained from Award-Session. Good quality cable and Neutrik plugs, in a wide range of sizes and plug configurations. My oldest cables are about 16 years (from Award Session "Cleartone"). They will probably last another 16... not expensive for around £20 or a tiny bit more.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1482319111' post='3199471']
I've started buying cables from "Designacable" their on Amazon.

Well made with top quality components, Prime delivery too.
[/quote]

oh yes, I got a couple from then too... I liked that they can come in different colours but with the same quality cable. I got an orange and a red one, it makes it harder to leave them behind or for someone else to take them 'by mistake'... ;)

Another thought, learn how to handle and coil cables properly (if you don't already know, which I'm sure all BCers do ;) ). This will probably extend the life of your cables far more than buying expensive brands.

I say this based on the experience of a couple of band mates who regularly suffer from broken cables, though if you'd seen them coil them over their wrists/elbows and then tie them in a knot (yes, really!!!) then you'd understand why their quest for a reliable cable brand is completely futile. And yes, I've shown them time and again how to properly coil cables and even pointed them to YouTube, which abounds with examples. Alas, some people are too set in their ways, expensive though they may be.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1482259418' post='3199039']
So my cheap(ish) cable from amazon (£4) has just died on me, all my other leads work.

Does anybody know of any cheapish cables that are decent and actually stand the test of time?
[/quote]

Four quid? No "ish" involved.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482312099' post='3199354']

cheap cables are a bad bad bad idea, especially when a good one doesn't cost so much!

Cables by OBMM are a great choice. Similar can be obtained from Award-Session. Good quality cable and Neutrik plugs, in a wide range of sizes and plug configurations. My oldest cables are about 16 years (from Award Session "Cleartone"). They will probably last another 16... not expensive for around £20 or a tiny bit more.
[/quote]

Could have written that post word for word!

No worries guys a few Fender Custom Shop cables came into my possession today "as a gift" from someone at a certain local guitat shop. Great day shopping. Went in to buy a few sets of flats, man in the shop put in a set of Elixirs, some picks and 2 Fender cables for an extra fiver and said Merry Christmas.