Why become a member? ×

Has anyone gone from lightweight back to heavy?

AndyTravis

Yep. This year I started out with a gk mb500 fusion and changed to an aguilar db750. The weight doesn't bother me as I'm fit and strong so don't find it a chore to move. The sound quality is a world apart and I'll not go back to lightweight in a hurry. Seriously considering swapping my TCS cabs for an aguilar db 212 or 410 next.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1483306520' post='3206135']
Yep. This year I started out with a gk mb500 fusion and changed to an aguilar db750. The weight doesn't bother me as I'm fit and strong so don't find it a chore to move. The sound quality is a world apart and I'll not go back to lightweight in a hurry. Seriously considering swapping my TCS cabs for an aguilar db 212 or 410 next.
[/quote]

An amp head is one thing, but the aggy cabs are heavy!!! Check out something with a neo driver!!

I forgot to mention my cab as well. So, here we go:

Amp: Handbox R-400 - old-school Class A/B, but only 10kgs
Cab: TKS S212 - old-school ceramic drivers, but only 20kgs (lighter than many Neos)
Bass: Maruszczyk Jake - chambered body, only 3.3kg

Lightweight doesn't have to mean Class D or Neo. :-)

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1483016389' post='3204131']
What's important, imho, is employing correct lifting techniques - using the back and body properly. When we lift weights, we follow proper techniques and take care to do it right. The we go out to a gig and try to drag that heavy cab/amp out of the car boot at full stretch, bending over to reach it. Even a light object can do harm lifted wrongly - see Twincam's post above.
[/quote]

I think this exactly right, but ... in my 30 years of gigging, it's very rare that you get the opportunity. Imagine lifting weights when their in the back of your car! Gear is often packed into the boot of a car, or a transit, or a trailer. Surrounded by other bags of cables, spares, other people's gear etc. It usually involves stretching & lifting, or stooping to lift. Definitely not the opportunity to employ correct lifting techniques. I've gone heavy to lightweight back to heavy(ish) and am now back to lightweight. Don't care what anyone says, heavy amps definitely have the best tone, however....

Someone once said your back is just like your ears, protect it while it's good not when it's knackered & that's what I've (finally) decided to do.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1483351097' post='3206340']
Amp: Handbox R-400 - old-school Class A/B, but only 10kgs
Cab: TKS S212 - old-school ceramic drivers, but only 20kgs (lighter than many Neos)
Bass: Maruszczyk Jake - chambered body, only 3.3kg

Lightweight doesn't have to mean Class D or Neo. :-)
[/quote]

Guess lightweight is all relative, my complete rig weighs less than your cab!

I've sold my big rig, which began to see less and less use. I just don't play as often as I'd like due to work/other commitments and coming home after a long day to then load a heavy amp head into a car down 3 flights of stairs (old school large building built into modern apartments) is just NOPE. It was a great piece of gear as a whole, more so the amp itself, but I don't need it. I have also gained more space in my house!

I'm settled with bass gear. Even the latest models aren't really tempting me. The only one I'd consider now is the latest Mesa D800+ mainly because it has engineers from Genz working on it. But, over £1k? I just don't need it.

I have no cabs larger than a 2x12 now. I'd never go back to a normal 4x10...if I suddenly joined a touring successful band I'd opt for a big 4x12 from Bergantino or Aguilar but I can't see it happening.

Whatever works for you is good.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1483435558' post='3207024']

Yeah...£1350...NOPE.
[/quote]

Crikey!
There was a chap posted a picture of his rig on the Aguilar Owners facebook page a couple of weeks ago. He had a pair of them stacked and topped off with a DB751. Now that's a serious chunk of change considering he was playing a pub gig!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1483351097' post='3206340']Lightweight doesn't have to mean Class D or Neo. :-)[/quote]

So true! Almost half the cabs we sell aren't neo - and no-one can say a 15lb (7kg) cab isn't lightweight. Or indeed a 4x10" that's 49lbs and has drivers with ceramic magnets!

Yea, I've gone the AndyTravis way for good...I think.
Amps:
In the past couple of years I've bought and sold 3 X TH500s, RH450' and RH750 'something' wasn't feeling quite right for me with this 'Digital' amplification, so...
I'm back on TRACE SMX250 and 300 with the beautiful original 150GP11 as a backup - all with transformers and circuitry that I can see. However, I think the original 250 GP11 does take the piss with weight.
Tried also (for the first time in my life I bought new) The Markbass 2x10 combo with matching 2x10 extn cab. Reading the bull and sounding great IN THE SHOP I couldn't wait to kick off on the night...aahhhh, hated it.
Speakers:
I tried also the Vanderkley two 1x12s then went on to a Van 1x15, I thought these were the ultimate but na, sold these.
So that's the Markbass and Vanderkley Neos. Tried Celestion Neos, na.
The Tc Electronic Eminence speakers were very good but I had a problem with one of the tweeters which are piggy-backed/screwed onto the top speaker of each cab. This was jaunted in transit somewhere and pulled on the speaker creating a minute bend in the chassis/frame I.e not flat anymore so it made the cone rub.
My existing cabs are Trace compact 1x15 and 2x10. They were both combos but I cut the heads off! This gives me the shallower depth of cab of about 13" which makes them more manageable to slip into the car. The 17" deep compact are too much handling for me.
In the next couple of weeks Ill be getting a Barefaced 15 to replace the Trace 15 but still might continue struggling with the Trace 2x10 traditional speakers for the top cab. The Barefaced is more sensitive so probably will be louder and I may even grit my teeth with the Neo but I'm prepared for this.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1482592555' post='3201674']

So what's the big rig???

I have the TTE500 also, and I've on the fence with it to be honest. It is great, but there is just a little something missing.
[/quote]

The TTE is a fine head which I've happily gigged for ages but I remember deciding once I got my car I was getting heavy transformers in metal boxes And after a few changes this is the rig!

Same cab as I'd use with the TTE (sorry the 212 is in its cover - it's a neo cab and is super light btw) but I do sometimes use a small fender 110 combo for super small gigs. The big rig sounds fantastic and it has power and headroom for days. It's 800W@4ohm and the cab seems to sound better with volume. I've used it in pubs and theatre gigs and it's been perfect.

On a side note.... I tend to lift correctly, only take what I can reasonably manage and try and keep myself relatively fit and healthy. I've done loads of manual handling courses with work, only lift when I need to and use a roller case for the 'rig'.

I normally only use one bass at a gig. My two main gigs suit each bass. The 5er on the choir gigs and the 4 string on the other pub gig.

Edited by krispn

I've always been a heavy lugger. You really can't beat proper iron core transformers in my opinion. I've always avoided class D amps, until very recently. After using a MarkBass Jeff Berlin at a gig where backlibe was provided (St Moritz in Soho), I was very impressed. So now I have both worlds to deal with. The JB can do old school like the Ampeg very well. I was Trace Elliot for many many years. The MDF made products. They sounded fantastic.

In my experience the heavy/ultralight difference is bigger with amps than with cabs.
The sound difference between ceramic/neo drivers is not as big as between transfomer/class AB/ class D amps.

I used to play heavy aguilar cabs (db212, db112, db410, gs212, gs112) for a very long time. Nowadays I am playing a Markbass 104HF (sits just between the GS212 and db212 tonally) and two NY151Randy Jackson cabs. These MB cabs do sound great!

As for amps, my experience is based on the Sadowsky SA200, Aguilar db750, Ashdown ABM500 (all of them :) ), Mesa Walkabout Markbass SA450, LM2 and TA503 (all class AB), the Genz Benz Streamliner 600, Shuttle 6.0 and the Aguilar TH500 (all class D).

I have a combination of class D and Mosfet at moment.
I love the Markbass 12" combo and ext cab for its portability plus it works well in a band situation.
I have a couple of GK amps. MB200 is very handy little thing as a portable back-up. The 1001RBii is heavy but manageable and gives a reasonable tonal range used with my Berg HT322 cab which is extremely heavy.
My Ampeg SVT4Pro is an extreme heavyweight amp but love the tone. However it has packed in and due for repair or might not bother.
Currently using a TE 150 amp head with a Peavey 4x12 cab at rehearsals and its ok but not exactly my taste.
The best sound i've used recently was an old Orange AD200b with Hartke 8x10 cab which was my dream tone. Lots of depth while remaining clear. Just so powerful sounding even at lower volumes. That amp with a 4x10 might be my ideal rig but a bit too expensive at moment.
I'm finding the Markbass seems to give me a decent tone and has plenty of power for most gigs.

Dave

I have moved from largeish neo cabs (Hartke hydrive 410 then markbass std104hf) to 2 smaller Bergantino hd210 ceramics. Although they are fairly heavy for their size they are quite easy to carry because of the excellent recessed side handles and the diagonal placement of the cones avoids dispersion issues that supposedly affects standard square 410 cabs.
The only head that ever went into protect mode on a gig was a 500w class d so I am a little sceptical. Never had a problem with class ab with switch mode PSU (markbass lm3, SA450 or TA503 ).
All earlier heavier amps from trace elliot, Ampeg, Hartke, Ashdown had headroom for days.

Edited by Sparky Mark

I left my usual 1x12 cab at home last week and played through an Ashdown 8x10. It was really a very nice change after I'd sorted EQ'ing the amp to match. I could live with one of those if I had my own roadie. Then again was it just that the sound was coming from higher up in the room? I shall prop up the 1x12 to compare next time.
I still don't see what the point would be if you DI'd at all your gigs though.

Any amp that is under 10kg will resonate and tremble to bits on top of my cab. The Tech21 VTbass 500 is therefor now a backup amp only. I use a Mesa Bass Prodigy 4:88 and a Trace RAH600SMX for serious ampage. 13kg for the full tube and around 20kg for the hybrid Trace.