Why become a member? ×

Top tips please for getting a new DB

JacksonBass

I've been having lessons for two months and have gigged three times with a Jazz group who are being very, very patient with me 🤓

I've been borrowing a 3/4 DB but have to give it back in January. Where would you recommend looking for a nicely set up bass? Using my limited funds I think it's more important to have a well set up instrument than use all my budget on a better instrument that isn't set up well. What do you think?

I live in Suffolk so everywhere is a million miles away. I play Jazz, no slap and no bowing. I made the mistake of thinking that cheap Chinese was ok, but sent it back to G4M and got a refund.

Thanks for advice and tips for a Newbie.

Buy a used bass for £300 and invest about £300 in good strings and a decent setup. Choose a bass expert to do this, there is a list of luthiers in this forum.

If you dont find a used instrument, buy a cheap new one (ebony board is a must, though). Be aware of the fact that many basses are advertised as having an "ebonised fingerboard", which means it is a cheap white wood which was painted black. Avoid buying these basses.

Something like this:
http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/en/home/82-kontrabass-antike-lackierung-komplett-laminiert-neu-34-und-44-groesse-4260227041842.html

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_111.htm

Also, there is this one which already has Spiros (a standard Pizz string), and a good pickup installed and has a low action. It is not exactly as good as having a good setup from a luthier, but it works.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_jazz_player_stage_bass_set.htm

Edited by BaconCheese

Thanks, a couple of questions - I'd noticed this ebony/ebonised thing and it sounded like they just painted it black! But what is so crucial about actual ebony?
And those links all seem to take me to a German company listing, am I missing something, are there good lower cost DB's available through a U.K. company? If the DB arrives broken etc I don't fancy my chances sorting it out with my non existent German language skills. Thanks!

I know that Gedo and Thomann both sell basses to the UK. At least Thomann has an English site as well, so you should habe no problems ordering. As a private buyer, all risks involving shipping are covered by the seller. You can also ask any questions you might have in English (Thomann is one of the largest if not the largest shop in Europe). Also, Thomann offers free shipping to the UK as far as I know.

I updated the links so you are refered to an english version of the shop.

Honestly, I dont know about any UK shops for cheap basses. You seem to habe a lot of high-level luthier workshops which are offering basses in an entirely different price range.

Ebony is important because only with ebony the board can be shot right. With the cheap white wood, not only do you have a white board after shooting, there is also a problem with getting a good setup with these woods because they are much more flexible than ebony and so the board is much more likely to warp and move- also it is much more work for the luthier to do a good setup with a white wood board.

Edited by BaconCheese

Quite a few BD players on here recommend Gedo. Personally, I've not played one, but they do look great, and I've heard nothing but glowing reports about Gedo's sales, packaging / delivery, quality of basses and after-sales service.

Ebony is a better wood for a fingerboard as it is a very hard wood. In comparison, a softer wood that has been painted black will not be as durable. (It may also have different acoustic qualities too). Some fretless bass guitars have a fingerboard made of "Ebanol" - which is quite different. It's a man-made material, which is hard and durable and some players seem to like. They use it as a more "green" material, in that it helps to save trees.... I don't know whether some DB makers use Ebanol? Maybe someone on here will know....

My top tip for getting a DB would be to get a used, set-up one from the marketplace on this forum :)
The drawback is that you are just playing the waiting game. I know how that feels - they never seemed to come up anywhere near me when I was first looking! They always seemed to be the other side of the UK.

Another place I've seen them come up for sale, is on a local Facebook group. There are 3 or 4 of these based in my neck of the woods (South Wales) one specifically for bass (more so bass guitar than DB) the other groups being for guitars, amps, keys etc. I would never have expected to see that many DB's come up for sale on these Facebook groups - but I have to say, surprisingly more have come up for sale on these groups locally, than have come up for sale in my neck of the woods on this forum....

On a positive note - although you are still a relative newbie to DB - as you have been playing one with a band, you will at least have some experience of how a bass should feel and sound, and hopefully will be able to spot whether a bass needs setting up etc. Is there a DB player on this forum who lives near you, and would be willing (for the price of a pint) to come along & take a look at a DB if you spot one for sale?

Good luck with your search

PS. When I was looking for a DB, someone also suggested that I may be able to hire one.... is this something that maybe your council, or a school / college could help you with? Worth a few phonecalls or emails anyway?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482357859' post='3199928']
They tend to come up just after you buy something else!
[/quote]
This exactly.........spent almost two years looking and eventually one came up in Sunderland...I drove down from Scotlandshire and got it for £350 and spent £800 on it....yep...very next week there is a nice looking Kay on Bass Players market..out of my budget but exactly what I was looking for.
If you are going for a good second hand one I would be prepared to travel. There are a couple on Facebook ...Bass Players Market. DBs seem to come up frequently in the West Country for some reason.
I would say that the two main ingredients that you need are the cash and patience.

Best advice I had was to get a DB teacher and get them to advise you. They should understand your technique and your requirement.

They can also spot potentially expensive issues (although a luthier will help with that).

Of course don't but sight unseen, but more importantly, listen to the bass! Cheap ones can sound great, but it's often hard to tell until someone plays it for you.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1482403054' post='3200186']
Dunno if this fits the bill.....
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/groups/184621401586617/permalink/1185952728120141/?sale_post_id=1185952728120141[/URL]
[/quote]

Looks ok. Has a pickup and Presto strings which are good for pizz. I would ask the seller what kind of work was done on it.

Also the bridge is a little bit off- but that is corrected rather easily.

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1482399710' post='3200147']
Best advice I had was to get a DB teacher and get them to advise you. They should understand your technique and your requirement.

They can also spot potentially expensive issues.....

[/quote]

Also, DB teachers may know students who are looking to sell or upgrade their basses too......

Absolutely!

I was referred to the incredible upright bass master that is Martin Penning by my teacher. He's helped me an awful lot with getting my old knackered (but cherished) bass to a wonderful playing and sounding instrument.

An upright bass is a complex piece of design and engineering held together with glue and pressure. I certainly have no idea how it works, I'll defer to a pro.

Just keep looking / trying, and if you're not a member of one of those Facebook groups - join one, plus, check out that Double Basses for sale group on Facebook too. A lot on there may be the other side of the country - but you never know, one closer to home may also turn up.... just get a teacher or luthier to look over it.

Edited by Marc S

Also, make sure you get a bit of history on the bass. I met the seller (recommended through a friend) and my bass had toured the country as part of a Buddy Holly musical apparently.

Quirky bit of background. I'm currently getting one built so I will have to take of that instruments history all by myself!

Gedo are great, email them in english without worries, quite a few of us have them here, only one had a fingerboard that came unglued, Gedo sorted the problem swiftly iirc?.

Mine is a solid top with Spiro strings and adjustable bridge fitted as upgrades from Gedo, that came in at over a thousand with postage but I don't see any reason why the totally ply versions wouldn't be a good buy.

I think getting a decent bass is more important than spending money on setup.

You can always get the setup tweaked (by friends and teachers and by experimentation), but you can't make a good bass out of a fundamentally bad one.

Plus the better the bass the more it will keep (and even increase) its value, making a future trade up possible.

Personally I wouldn't buy a plywood one for playing Jazz; apart from the factors above you'll want a decent sustain.

Lots of wood and lots or workmanship = expensive instruments bas(s)ically.

Had you considered an EUB?

It's tricky the choice between DB and EUB but fundamentally it's about fitting in with the band and for that it means DB. It's playing publicly that's stretched me and made me learn, otherwise it's all just practice zzzzzzz. And let's face it, an EUB can sound awesome but never as cool as a DB - #runforcover

You'll only end up with a DB in the end anyway, I disagree about plywood, yes if you want to drop £3k+ that's great but I'd rather have a decent ply or part ply bass than trying to get your hands on the cheapest all solid bass for the sake of it, unless you dropped on really lucky you won't get a well made, nice sounding and good condition solid bass for £600.

I disagree that set up is unimportant, in fact it's absolutely essential. So many people give up the instrument quickly; becoming frustrated at battling with an instrument that's basically unplayable. Not to mention the risk of suffering a physical injury.

Unless you buy a cheap instrument someone here has loved then you'll struggle for £600. I bought mine from a touring pro for £400 (friend needs the space). Even though this was used for gigs a new set of Spirocores helped. When a luthier checked it over it needed a lot of work, but £400 later I've a wonderful bass.

If you're new to bass buying blind (even if you see it as an amateur you won't really know what you're buying) is dangerous.

If I had the cash again I'd still do what I did because I love the way my bass sounds and feels, but I would consider investing in buying through a luthier who can set up the instrument properly.

Sorry for babbling. Last thing to be aware of is that as soon as you start, if you can break through the initial fear and technical challenges, you might become hooked - which can be expensive.

My focus for 2017 is figuring out how to pay for the Bryant bass I'm having built. If anyone needs any odd jobs doing, let me know!

I think the general consensus is that the better Gedo and Thomann basses are decent out of the box and at worst are at least worth a session with a luthier if needs be, the cheap chinese stuff or a 'bargain' antique bass sometimes are just unable to be made useable, destined to a life as a prop at the local amateur dramatic theatre!