Why become a member? ×

Dave Peacock

KingPrawn

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1482358665' post='3199939'] Chas 'n' Dave Christmas special on Channel 5 right now. Very dated but I'm loving it. :) [/quote]

Is that the one with a pub as the main set and Eric Clapton and Albert Lee guesting?

Both Chas and Dave are top players who make their excellent playing look effortless and anyone who doesn't know about Chas Hodges musical pedigree might be surprised if they look it up.

I have a family connection to Chas and have known the pair of them for years, but not so much lately. Dave is about the nicest bloke you could ever meet and Chas was primarily a bass player (and a bloody good one at that). Chas was in a band called The Outlaws with Ritchie Blackmore of all people and was also n Head ands and Feet. They are both superb musicians and used to come round my house on Burns Night for a jam and a sing song many years ago.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1482394780' post='3200098']
I have a family connection to Chas and have known the pair of them for years, but not so much lately. Dave is about the nicest bloke you could ever meet and Chas was primarily a bass player (and a bloody good one at that). Chas was in a band called The Outlaws with Ritchie Blackmore of all people and was also n Head ands and Feet. They are both superb musicians and used to come round my house on Burns Night for a jam and a sing song many years ago.
[/quote]

They are great guys.
I did a summer season with them a few years back (I was in the main turn band) and got to know them well at the time.
Blimey, they could put the booze away. Had a few drunken nights with them. I got to play the P Bass a few times as well, along with learning the vocal technique for "Rabbit".. :D

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1482395685' post='3200106']
They are great guys.
I did a summer season with them a few years back (I was in the main turn band) and got to know them well at the time.
Blimey, they could put the booze away. Had a few drunken nights with them. I got to play the P Bass a few times as well, along with learning the vocal technique for "Rabbit".. :D
[/quote]

Ha! Had more than a few boozy nights with them myself - more often than not in The Crown at Broxbourne.

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1482365757' post='3200025']

Is that the one with a pub as the main set and Eric Clapton and Albert Lee guesting?

Both Chas and Dave are top players who make their excellent playing look effortless and anyone who doesn't know about Chas Hodges musical pedigree might be surprised if they look it up.
[/quote]

That's the one.

And yes, I seem to remember that Chas leant his piano chops watching Jerry Lee Lewis while touring with him as Jerry's bassist.

Saw C&D as the culmination to my nephew's stag weekend a couple of years ago and was a cracking gig. Amazed by how tight they were and DP is, as others have attested, a properly good, understated but still inventive player. Chas is no slouch either and we tend to forget that he was right there at the birth of British rock and roll and rock music back in the 60s.

And of course a HUGE Jamerson influence in those lyrical bass lines.

Both great players and Chas has a great voice. Not Dissing Daves singing, but....
I honestly dont remember where I first heard of them but was a huge HH&F fan.
Tony Coulter was an acquaintance in the States etc etc.
Embarrassing moment when I told him I had covered Warming up the band & he thought I had released a version, rather than just playing it in my covers band! (big blushes)
But Rockney just blew me away when I first heard it.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1482746432' post='3202445']
Wasnt Chas the bassist on the early Joe Meek singles?
[/quote]

Yes. Japhet mentioned the Outlaws in post #8 who were the backing band for Heinz "Just Like Eddie" along with lots more of Meek's work.

Am I right that he's using a pick in many of the performances? A bit hard to tell.

Great player, great band. I was taken to see them aged 11 - and even at that age, they were superb.

Big RIP to their drummer Mickey - amazing drummer who died a couple of years ago. Played with them from the beginning until he retired in 2009. I was just starting drumming when I saw them, and he was important in me seeing how a professional fits in.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1482766069' post='3202586']
Am I right that he's using a pick in many of the performances? A bit hard to tell.

Great player, great band. I was taken to see them aged 11 - and even at that age, they were superb.

Big RIP to their drummer Mickey - amazing drummer who died a couple of years ago. Played with them from the beginning until he retired in 2009. I was just starting drumming when I saw them, and he was important in me seeing how a professional fits in.
[/quote]

Mick was a lovely bloke. He carried on his job as a plummer for a long while after they 'made it'. Chas told me that they would be at a gig and Mick hadn't turned up and when they tracked him down he'd be in somebody's loft changing a ballcock and he'd 'I'll be there soon but I've got to stop this leak first'. Drove Chas nuts!

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1483056074' post='3204511']
Great musicians. Dave is a hot bluegrass banjo player, too and a fine craftsman, as well. Some years ago, I saw an old horse drawn travellers caravan he had restored at a country fair. Beautiful job. An extremely talented man.
[/quote]

Dave started out as a signwriter and he absolutely loved restoring his gypsy caravans. It was his sanctuary.