Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1961 Fender Precision

therealting

So today I received my 61P from Bravewood, a sort of hybrid genuine bitsa with a few replacement parts (roasted lightly-flamed maple neck with old stock Brazilian rosewood board, refinished body, Bareknuckle 58P pickup, new pots and sprague cap) and the rest all old. It's fantastic: resonant, lively, feels great.

One small snag - in transit the G tuner has been knocked, and the flat flap part of the tuning peg head has been knocked loose and swivelled around the rivet.

I've moved it back and it seems to be staying in place largely due to friction. I've not had an old bass before, is that normal? Is there an easy way to fix it more permanently without destroying the value and functionality of the tuner and bass?

Edited by therealting

The pins that hold the elephants ear in place are rivets and peined over. I'm sure that tuning key could be gripped in an engineers vice (with soft jaws) and pinched back together to grip the elephants ear better. A tech or luthier could do this as the tuning peg can be removed from the bass. Should be an easy fix.

Edited by Number6

John at Bravewood has said a spot of superglue will sort it and he has done it loads before. Panic averted (:

It is an unbelievable bass. I've played my share of good gear, and this is spectacular. I really like the Fender flats as they are, I expect they'll mellow a little more though.

Superglue fix worked a treat. This thing just sounds fantastic, I finally got a chance to sit down and do a quick and dirty little demo. Recorded with no compression or EQ straight into Logic via the DI input of my Audient iD14... had to be a little Vulfpeck!

https://instagram.com/p/BOacditBEXD/

https://www.facebook.com/JohannTingMusic/videos/10154952252782932/

Edited by therealting