Why become a member? ×

Level 42 live 2016

TheGreek

Sean, the sax player, was just starting his foundation course at Newcastle College when I started on the Jazz/Popular Music Diploma course. He was 17 years old and already better than everybody else there, sax teachers included. He was and still is totally driven to succeed and is clearly reaping the fruits of his labours!

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1482568891' post='3201467']

I think the negative sentiment against Mark King rises from the impression that many have that he appears to see himself as being more important than the band. This may of course be completely misrepresentative of how he actually sees himself and is just a matter of perception. He's not alone in this, other artists that I can think of that have been similarly perceived (rightly or wrongly) are Midge Ure, Phil Collins and Sting for example. It's probably more a reflection of band management and how the band's been presented in the media, as by all accounts Mark King is a really nice guy who can't do enough for others.
[/quote]

He was definitely the driving force behind the band. I think the issue with the brand isn't the band but the creepy obsessiveness of some diehard fans. At times it seems like some of them are one step away from donning a layered blonde wig, ripped skin tight bleached jeans and leather flying jacket while they pound away in videos to each other on an Alembic or Status.

I'm glad to see that times are moving on though and the band is broadening it's appeal once again.

Mr King is a nice bloke, a multi instrumentalist and a very shrewd businessman. I think he deserves respect for more than his bass playing. Speaking of which, anyone who has been to a l42 gig will known there are no shortage of lows through the PA. His Jaydees had more midrange bite though because the neck woods are softer but he likes the feel of graphite necks.

Seen them in Dublin in October....WOW...ive seen them about five times now and this was phenomenal.
Mark Kings bass was SOOOO thunderous i nearly had a toilet moment.
Have never heard his bass so full ,serious trouser flap and thump in the chest as well as ringing highs. Band were very tight and he was in great form ...an absolute pleasure as opposed to a few times ive seen them when they were just going through the motions. Great that we still have a chance to see (whether u like him or not) one of the pioneers of uk bass.
Thank you Mr King lets do it again soon. 👍🏻