Why become a member? ×

Level 42 live 2016

TheGreek

yea enjoyed that, cheers greek
good to see Pete ray B still on drums that guy just gets better and better,
and still has that spark which i think is great for L42.

This is the same guy as a kid he met mark king when they were playing in leeds uni, and he asked if he could play with them,
and the guys being as nice as they are said yea sure,
mark asked him " what do you Know" and pete said........ all of them,...... he was aged 11. :o
What a BUZ... :)

Edited by funkgod

Mark King gets a terrible panning on this board from some, but, he still has a ridiculous amount of enthusiasm, drive and energy.
Especially after playing the same tunes for years on end.

Although I am saying the same tunes, I found this while listening to the OP video.
The first track is 'Break Out'. Level 42 sound great on this.
A perfect match - Level 42 + Swing Out Sister. Mark King is right 'on it' playing the (original) Bass Synth line with his thumb.
Corrine Drewery seems to be struggling a bit, in and out the whole number. But, Lordy, that Brass arranging and playing is terrific,
and that modulation in the middle of 'Break Out' is just marvellous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lluiXLbL9TU

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1482518447' post='3201281']
Mark King gets a terrible panning on this board from some, but, he still has a ridiculous amount of enthusiasm, drive and energy.
Especially after playing the same [strike]tunes[/strike] riff for years on end.

[/quote]

There, fixed. ;)

Edited by darkandrew

and that modulation in the middle of 'Break Out' is just marvellous.
[/quote]

"Modulation" ? :blink: :blink: :unsure: .. garry, if your going to start talkin jazz mate, then im going home :lol:

Yep 100%, he always seems on it. hes always got drive in his playing, i love the track there is a dog on his solo album where he is playing the drums, if you listen to it carefully about 3/4 the way through you can hear him singing/shouting the phrases as hes drumming, just getting into it, really comes across, great drumming on that track, i do a little bit of drumming but them rolls are just gob smackinly good. and as you say, a ridiculous amount of enthusiasm, drive and energy.
Would love to hear them do that live, ...common mark, stop mukin about 'n' lets av it

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1482540615' post='3201417']
Goodness with double 3 band EQ and no one told him how to turn the bloody bass knob? All I hear is clickety clickety clack... Frequencies below 1K? more like all frequencies below 16K
[/quote]

Nobody plays the frets as well as our Mark. Heeheehee. I like Mark's playing but I agree. Sometimes the actual bass frequencies come across as lightweight where you might feel you want a nicely rounded bottom to get a hold of (oooer), so to speak. Old analogue Bowie releases tended to be like that for me too. It didn't spoil my appreciation however. Now that I am all growed up like, I know you can't get much oomph from lightweight strings but then the heavier ones are not so compliant.

Mark King gets a terrible panning on this board from some
[/quote]

I think the negative sentiment against Mark King rises from the impression that many have that he appears to see himself as being more important than the band. This may of course be completely misrepresentative of how he actually sees himself and is just a matter of perception. He's not alone in this, other artists that I can think of that have been similarly perceived (rightly or wrongly) are Midge Ure, Phil Collins and Sting for example. It's probably more a reflection of band management and how the band's been presented in the media, as by all accounts Mark King is a really nice guy who can't do enough for others.

Edited by darkandrew

I've been watching L42 for as long as they have been playing and I reckon the band is better now than ever. The drummer is amazing and MKs bass playing has a maturity about it - no more slap fest at the front of the stage. To watch him play some of those complex finger style lines while singing is a joy. He even plays some with a pick!

All imo etc.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1482568891' post='3201467']
[b]I think the negative sentiment against Mark King rises from the impression that many have that he appears to see himself as being more important than the band. This may of course be completely misrepresentative of how he actually sees himself and is just a matter of perception. He's not alone in this, other artists that I can think of that have been similarly perceived (rightly or wrongly) are Midge Ure, Phil Collins and Sting for example.[/b] It's probably more a reflection of band management and how the band's been presented in the media, as by all accounts Mark King is a really nice guy who can't do enough for others.
[/quote]

Possibly, but where would L42, Ultravox, Genesis and The Police have been without those guys? Musicians, singers and main songwriters. King used his bass differently from most, or did when he started out. Most of the low frequencies in L42 came from the keyboards.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1482771091' post='3202624']
When I moved to London in 1984 & auditioned for bands I would anticipate them asking "Do you know Mark King " & think if you say that I'm going ton punch you one ;)
I think they are a great tight band & Mark is a excellent front man .
[/quote]

I get you. You mean because of the IOW connection don't you? I was touring on a new motorcycle and thought I'd spend a fortnight on the Wigit whilst running the new 'bike in. It was very early in the nineties. I asked a few people about our Mark and L42 whilst enjoying the night life there. Not one of the people I spoke to had the slightest idea who I was on about!

You'd have thought he'd be a legend on the Island by that time but no.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1482771091' post='3202624']
When I moved to London in 1984 & auditioned for bands I would anticipate them asking "Do you know Mark King " & think if you say that I'm going ton punch you one ;)
I think they are a great tight band & Mark is a excellent front man .
[/quote]

I had a similar experience when I moved to Glasgow. I was often asked if I knew so and so's auntie who lived "down the line". "Of course" I would reply "She just had her hair done, looks much better". "Shame about her cat getting run over though".

A playful wink would let them know I was pulling their leg.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482564799' post='3201448']
Nobody plays the frets as well as our Mark. Heeheehee. I like Mark's playing but I agree. Sometimes the actual bass frequencies come across as lightweight where you might feel you want a nicely rounded bottom to get a hold of (oooer), so to speak. Old analogue Bowie releases tended to be like that for me too. It didn't spoil my appreciation however. Now that I am all growed up like, I know you can't get much oomph from lightweight strings but then the heavier ones are not so compliant.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong I love Level 42 but it seems that the more time passed the lighter his sound gets and you can hear the massive hole in the sound of the band because he seems to have forgotten that a bass guitar should sound like a bass guitar. I would love for him to turn that bass knob a bit and give a bit more of weight to those wonderful bass lines he's playing.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1482796135' post='3202813']
Don't get me wrong I love Level 42 but it seems that the more time passed the lighter his sound gets and you can hear the massive hole in the sound of the band because he seems to have forgotten that a bass guitar should sound like a bass guitar. I would love for him to turn that bass knob a bit and give a bit more of weight to those wonderful bass lines he's playing.
[/quote]I don't think it would have sounded like that from His rig

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1482879798' post='3203349']
I don't think it would have sounded like that from His rig
[/quote]

I made a point of getting right up front , in front of him and his rig. The last band is seen in the venue I was at the back and the bass was non existent in a rock context