Why become a member? ×

A roadworn replica of a bass from 1983.... for more than an original 60's fender... Explain it to me please?

LukeFRC

Right I get roadworn basses - I get how if you don't want to take your original late 50's precision out on the road then one that feels and looks similar is a good idea.
Some of the best relicing is just amazing looking- If anyone wants to get me a bravewood for christmas I'll let you know the address to send it to :)

I get the cheaper/not so good end too - the Nash and Fender versions, and that british guy who makes them out of unknown parts and there were loads on here in the summer. I get it.

BUT....

a reliced version of a bass built in 1983? At a price that would get you an original early 60's fender?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fodera_vw_classic_monarch_ltd_aged.htm

I just don't get it. I don't even have much of a problem with Fodera costing that much - it's just if I were spending that much I'ld want something pristine! (otherwise why by new)

Don't get it.

I dont get the whole "Roadworn" thing. Why buy a new bass that has been made to look like a badly mistreated 40 year old instrument? Each to there own but I think it smacks of posing. A really old bass, that you have owned for decades, may or may not have the odd mark on it, but not cos you wanted to ding it. Any blemish would have a history that meant something to only you. Its like buying a brand new car with faux rust streaks on the wings and missing a couple of wheel trims.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482426014' post='3200520']
I like a worn looking bass, but I like it to be wear that I've caused.

Everyone likes their favourite old jumper, but would you wear someone else's?

No thanks.
[/quote]

Love it... the analogy I've been looking for, for years! :)

I always felt that way about the original 50's and 60's Fenders I owned in the past. I love that my 79 MM Sabre is very clean, though 15 years ago I was totally the other way around.

I can easily stomach that Fender do Relics, I get that and appreciate that they are there. But Fodera, really? Fair enough I suppose, something for everyone.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482426014' post='3200520']
I like a worn looking bass, but I like it to be wear that I've caused.

Everyone likes their favourite old jumper, but would you wear someone else's?

No thanks.
[/quote]

I'm very fond of my 100 year old double bass and 80 year old guitar, plus a couple of other instruments around 30 years old. All of them have playing wear from previous owners (especially the double bass) and I quite like that about them. So I suppose by that analogy I'm walking around in dead mens' knitwear!
That still feels a bit different to imitation wear somehow.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I'm guessing the price is down to the following:

1. it is a Fodera;
2. It is a signature model for Victor Wooten, much like Fender's take on the Jaco bass.

The price is in line with other custom Foderas so I don't think that the relic job or the 1983 vintage has caused that much of an upcharge.

I don't like it that much though to be honest!