Why become a member? ×

Fender custom shop

JamesBass

If you're going the vintage replica route then I'd go with Fender over any cheap replica builder 7 days a week. They blow away the replica builders and hold value so much better.

In all seriousness, the latest Fender CS instruments are so well made and a joy to play.

The copyists make a decent effort but their value plummets from new whilst CS Fenders both retain a decent chunk of their original cost and some even appreciate in value :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1482453877' post='3200792']
If you're going the vintage replica route then I'd go with Fender over any cheap replica builder 7 days a week. They blow away the replica builders and hold value so much better.

In all seriousness, the latest Fender CS instruments are so well made and a joy to play.

The copyists make a decent effort but their value plummets from new whilst CS Fenders both retain a decent chunk of their original cost and some even appreciate in value :)
[/quote]

I'd generally agree with you, but Bravewoods are no cheap replicas, they're much better instruments closer to the Masterbuilts IMO. They also seem to hold their value better than Fenders. Obviously do what you like, it's your money and it's just my opinion.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1482455714' post='3200794']
I'd generally agree with you, but Bravewoods are no cheap replicas, they're much better instruments closer to the Masterbuilts IMO. They also seem to hold their value better than Fenders. Obviously do what you like, it's your money and it's just my opinion.
[/quote]

I owned one for a while and thought it was a pale imitation of the 'real thing' but obviously it's all down to personal taste :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1482455860' post='3200795']

I owned one for a while and thought it was a pale imitation of the 'real thing' but obviously it's all down to personal taste :)
[/quote]

Likewise I owned a FCS for a while and eventually ended up replacing it with a much better MIJ Fender. I've generally been pretty disappointed by the FCS examples I've tried, bar a couple of roasted maple ones and a Todd Krause Masterbuilt I tried in MusicZoo in New York (they were VERY expensive though, close to vintage prices).

Not all Bravewoods are to my taste, particularly the heavily reliced ones which I think look overdone... but I feel the same about the heavily reliced FCS ones, I'm a light relic guy.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1482456156' post='3200796']
Likewise I owned a FCS for a while and eventually ended up replacing it with a much better MIJ Fender. I've generally been pretty disappointed by the FCS examples I've tried, bar a couple of roasted maple ones and a Todd Krause Masterbuilt I tried in MusicZoo in New York (they were VERY expensive though, close to vintage prices).

Not all Bravewoods are to my taste, particularly the heavily reliced ones which I think look overdone... but I feel the same about the heavily reliced FCS ones, I'm a light relic guy.
[/quote]

My issue with the Bravewood I owned was that it simply didn't didn't sound very good. It looked the part, albeit a bit rough round the edges, but it sounded very thin and bland compared to a genuine vintage Fender. The CS basses I've owned were much closer in tone to the originals.

My reference points were a '63J, '64P, '72P and a pair of '68J's.

I felt I could use the CS basses as genuine gigging alternatives to the real vintage ones but the Bravewood just didn't capture a decent vintage tone.

I guess out there in the 'everyday' gigging world a faked relic'd bass would fool more people than a genuine Fender because most audience members have cloth ears and will be 'listening' with their eyes, lol

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1482457979' post='3200800']
Interesting - since most of an electric instrument's sound is in the electronics, what pickup did it have in it out of curiosity? I've got handwound Bareknuckles in all of mine. I'm not disputing your experience by the way, just curious.
[/quote]

I can't remember I'm afraid :(

It was a J rather than a P but definitely one of the more lacklustre J's I've come across.

I've hung on to a CS P though and gig with it quite regularly now.

I have to say I don't agree at all that most on an instrument's sound comes from the Electronics though. If that were the case we'd all be playin the cheapest Chinese copies with upgraded pickups and pots because the wood and craftsmanship would be immaterial . . .

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1482447610' post='3200763']
If you're going the vintage replica route, I'd go with Bravewood over FCS 7 days of the week. I have three from him, one a restoration with a replacement neck and two built from him by hand. They blow the FCS away and are much cheaper to boot.
[/quote]
I'm not going vintage replica route per se. What I'm after is a P with the vintage sound but modern playability, think compound radius, neck heel contour, 21 frets and possibly a modern hi-mass bridge. The closest off the shelf I can get is a Fender Elite P, but I don't want another elite the j pickup. I'm also after a custom colour.

I'm fairly sure Bravewood don't offer such options.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1482443985' post='3200727']
but before I make any decisions, I want to find out how easy they are to deal with, what options there are etc.

All help is much appreciated!
[/quote]

I don't think anyone has addressed the OP's question. Instead you're arguing over whether one luthier's bass is better than Fenders.

OP asked how easy FCS is to deal with and what options are available.

Unfortunately I'm down under and FCS is not even remotely doable for me, so I haven't even looked.

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1482471478' post='3200816']

I don't think anyone has addressed the OP's question. Instead you're arguing over whether one luthier's bass is better than Fenders.

OP asked how easy FCS is to deal with and what options are available.

Unfortunately I'm down under and FCS is not even remotely doable for me, so I haven't even looked.
[/quote]

It's easy, I'd recommend talking to Crispin at Regent Sounds. He's a top bloke, as is the UK Custom Shop rep.

I've had well over 20 CS basses pass through my hands the last few years. They are indeed great basses, but as is the nature of woods they all differ so much. This includes versions of the same model. Some have more top and bottom, some more mids, some sound stronger than others etc. Therefore, the one you order may not be the best suited to you. That said, all bar one have been great basses.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1482458733' post='3200802']
I have to say I don't agree at all that most on an instrument's sound comes from the Electronics though. If that were the case we'd all be playin the cheapest Chinese copies with upgraded pickups and pots because the wood and craftsmanship would be immaterial . . .
[/quote]

Obviously it does contribute, but I'd rather play a Squier with Custom Shop pickups than a Custom Shop with Squier pickups is all I'm saying.

Ok, I've derailed the thread enough. To address the original poster, I'm afraid I don't know as I haven't ordered a custom instrument from the FCS as I generally buy secondhand. If they don't do what you are looking for, then something along the lines of Warmoth parts assembled, finished and finessed by a good luthier may be your best bet. I've toyed with doing something similar to Tim Lefebvre's Callowhill (I've probably misspelt his last name).