Why become a member? ×

Valve di's - perhaps...

andybassdoyle

Currently I use a tecamp head which sounds great but in certain circumstances I would like to hear a bit more warmth like I used to get with my old ampeg svt 5.
I don't want to switch amps, I'd really like some kind of pedal or di that I can insert before the amp to warm up a bit. I don't want loads of controls or presets, just something simply that sounds good on bg or double bass. I have been known to use "some" effects in my signal chain so these needs to factor in too. I like the idea of it doubling as a di for use with the PA or in those rarer occasions where I'm recording.
The ampeg svt di looks great but sadly it seems more chance of finding unicorn tears in the desert.
What do y'all think?

Edited by andybassdoyle

Aguilar Tone Hammer. No actual tube, but is fat and warm and sounds better than some that do have a tube. It's even been compared to the REDDI when set with the AGS on and gain set low. I've seen DB folks using them too.

I wasn't a fan of the EBS Valvedrive, far preferred the DHA units (if you don't mind their amateurish look). I have a Le Bass too, but really only because the distortion sounds great. The clean channel has very limited eq (bass and treble boost only, no cut, no mids) so I wouldn't recommend it as a clean/warm preamp.

• 9 months later...

Old thread update .

I've been looking at valve DI's , and I don't think the REDDI gets the lovely goodness through the 'thru' jack. Is this right?

In which case it's not much use to me , as I'm gearing up to a pre-amp pedals to power amp rig , and would like the nice sound on the thru also .

The Khan has the valve sound on the 'thru' , and the Groove Tubes Brick does I think too - though not sure on that one .

Edited by E sharp

Yeah a lot of those tube DIs (including the REDDI) are set up so that the 'input' and the 'through' are directly wired to each other, they don't pass through the DI circuitry at all. If it's for live use, sometimes on the end of a pedal chain, have you looked at the Sansamp? I mean, it's the cliche answer for a reason.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1482508020' post='3201178']
...far preferred the DHA units (if you don't mind their amateurish look). I have a Le Bass too, but really only because the distortion sounds great. The clean channel has very limited eq (bass and treble boost only, no cut, no mids) so I wouldn't recommend it as a clean/warm preamp.
[/quote]

Dave Hall has a new improved design DHA pre-amp, which should pretty much hit the mark for what the OP is after:

The Two Notes "Clean" is an interesting one: on the surface it does seem to provide pretty limited EQ options. However it seems to me that it has been configured in a similar fashion to the original Sansamp BDDI v1 with a baked-in mid-scoop. But it's relatively easy to get a decent mids control / boost - can be achieved by simply dialling back the bass and treble EQs (in exactly the same manner as the Sansamp BDDI); so I think it's actually got more EQ flexibility than first appears to be the case.

I agree the dirt on the 2Notes is pretty good! (And IMHO really juicy when combined with a clean octave down and a touch of preamp signal boost) and most other DI pedals are going to struggle to match the Two Notes as a dirt / overdrive pedal, which is of course it's particular forte.

Edited by Al Krow

I'm working on a simple valve preamp DI with Verellen. Just the clean channel from the meatsmoke (which is really good).
small enough to fit on a board to connect bass and pedals to then send feeds to PA/Power amp.

Don't know when it will be ready at this stage but hope to have a few available.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508242295' post='3390743']

The Two Notes "Clean" is an interesting one: on the surface it does seem to provide pretty limited EQ options. However it seems to me that it has been configured in a similar fashion to the original Sansamp BDDI v1 with a baked-in mid-scoop.
[/quote]

Rather than having a baked in mid scoop, I see it more as the Channel A EQ being boost only - both knobs off is my starting point then I roll a bit in from there!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508343303' post='3391525']
Rather than having a baked in mid scoop, I see it more as the Channel A EQ being boost only - both knobs off is my starting point then I roll a bit in from there!
[/quote]

Oki doki, but as you dial in the bass and treble on Channel A it also has the simultaneous effect of scooping the mids, so it's a case of balancing this additional component. Provided you do, you can also get good control of the mids as well as the bass and treble. It's very Sansamp BDDI v1!

I guess the key point, however, is that you can't get a "pure" mid boost as such on Channel A, which I agree can be limiting, Having said that a mid boost is usually available on most decent amps.

The top of my current list is the Ashdown Origin(al) DI pedal. Not seen one yet..but it’s got a lot of nice things on board, including a real valve..but I don’t know how subtle it is. My ABM (evoII) uses the valve mainly for distortion, not the core tone...so I’m hoping this will be different.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1482513106' post='3201239']
I'd plump for a DHA VT1 DI every time. I don't turn mine off. ever.

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page54.html"]http://www.davehalla....uk/page54.html[/url]

Mine goes into a super clean SWR head that's got ridiculous amounts of tone shaping, but no 'grit'.
[/quote]

And it's British. And the man who makes it is on Basschat. And you can phone him up and talk to him. These factors score very highly on my weighted scoring chart.

I think there is some misunderstanding in this thread - a DI basically transforms your signal impedance to symmetric line level for the desk.
Using a tube DI will add some tube character to the symmetric output of the DI. It is not built to add this character to the through signal
going to the amp.

If you want to add some tube-warmth to your amp sound, you need a tube preamp, or some pedal that does this. Of course, this
will also change the sound going to the desk, if you use a DI after the preamp.

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1508493652' post='3392526']
I think there is some misunderstanding in this thread - a DI basically transforms your signal impedance to symmetric line level for the desk.
Using a tube DI will add some tube character to the symmetric output of the DI. It is not built to add this character to the through signal
going to the amp.

If you want to add some tube-warmth to your amp sound, you need a tube preamp, or some pedal that does this. Of course, this
will also change the sound going to the desk, if you use a DI after the preamp.
[/quote]
I think OP meant a di with a valve pre built in?

I've pre-orderd the DHA (pun intended =p). Hoping it will replace my ms60b and fender microDI.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1482508020' post='3201178']
Aguilar Tone Hammer. No actual tube, but is fat and warm and sounds better than some that do have a tube. It's even been compared to the REDDI when set with the AGS on and gain set low. I've seen DB folks using them too.

I wasn't a fan of the EBS Valvedrive, far preferred the DHA units (if you don't mind their amateurish look). I have a Le Bass too, but really only because the distortion sounds great. The clean channel has very limited eq (bass and treble boost only, no cut, no mids) so I wouldn't recommend it as a clean/warm preamp.
[/quote]

Check out the new VT1-Pro-Bass-Drive which is now screen printed

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1508495421' post='3392553']

I've pre-orderd the DHA (pun intended =p). Hoping it will replace my ms60b and fender microDI.
[/quote]

Just so everyone is clear. My valve pedals with DI have a clean solid-state Di design that does not colour the sound but provides a balanced DI signal for the desk, etc. The Di is always on so if the pedal is in by-pass then the Di will only send the by-passed signal. When the pedal is not in by-pass i.e. the valve circuit is on then the Di will send a valve coloured signal. Same for the headphones on the pedals that have that option.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1508495421' post='3392553']

[/quote]

How would a preamp pedal replace a Zoom MS60B, unless you're using the MS60B just as a preamp and a dirt pedal (and not also e.g. as a compressor, tuner, tremolo, chorus and delay)?

Out of interest how are you finding the fender micro DI in terms of noise. I got a Donner clone version of the Fender (as it looked identical on paper and was half the price) but it was atrocious for added noise. Lasted 20 mins on my pedal board before being returned for a full refund.