Why become a member? ×

Cello notation - switching clefs

ras52

I know there are a few cellists (and those who write for cellists) on here, so I was wondering how to write a passage that goes all over the place... I recall a composer saying that nobody writes in the tenor clef anymore and that he just flipped straight from bass to treble, so with that as starting point, my gut says to write in whichever clef requires the fewest leger lines, within reason to avoid excessive flip-flopping. So in the following made-up example

[attachment=234517:Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 11.46.43.png]

I go to the treble clef when the high G would require more leger lines in the bass clef than the low G would in the treble clef... but on the way down I flip back to bass early to avoid a mid-bar clef change. Sound reasonable?

I don't know where you got that information from, but from my experience that is not true. I play double bass and the scores I read regularly go to tenor clef before treble clef and the same back down again - almost always!

The score you have depicted is also written incorrectly and the 'G' should start on the second leger up on the treble stave: not the lower G.

You could write your entire example in tenor clef and it would be a bit neater, although you'd not be thanked for doing so because most people aren't that familiar with it. BUT if its for cello, then the better cello players WILL be familiar with it!

"Nobody writes for tenor clef anymore" - is complete bollocks, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1483021025' post='3204174']
Thanks guys. I'm now using bass and tenor clefs only - the highest note is E# on four leger lines in the tenor clef - my preferred maximum is three leger lines but in this case I prefer not to flip into treble clef for just a few notes.
[/quote]
Some instruments such as viola use tenor as their main clef. Good luck

Viola uses alto clef, which is similar but not the same. They are also expected to know/understand treble clef for the higher bits.

Bassoon, trombone, cello and double bass (in an orchestra setting) would normally read bass clef but know tenor clef too. Cello also needs to know treble clef for very high stuff.

• 3 years later...