Why become a member? ×

NBD (future): the AliExpress experiment

mcnach

I have always viewed aliexpress as a haven for counterfeit instruments, and something that doesn't interest me.

I only recently learnt that it's just a huge sellers market and you can buy legit stuff there too. My gf has bought a few small items of clothing and decorating and it's no different from buying on eBay, really... she had to complain twice, once because she was sent the wrong item by mistake and another because it was low quality. Both times she was refunded fast and asked to just keep it. Like eBay, it pays to look at the feedback score and how long a store has been trading.

So as I checked something for her, I noticed lots of bass pictures (damn cookies, they know ME!). And I got curious.

There's a few interesting looking instruments there... low prices... quality questionable, but in many places the pics are detailed enough and I'd say 'honest': you can see how the pickup routing is not perfect, how the finish is fantastic, how veneers are applied to tops and the edges are not terribly tidy... which helps me imagine what sort of instrument they may be. The sort that could be pretty cool if you are able and willing to spend a little time tidying it up after it gets into your hands.

So far, no particular reason to be terribly attracted to the instruments there, except they offer some interesting combinations of features. And here's where I noticed "we can customise". A few of these sellers claim to either run their own manufacturing or work closely with a manufacturing plant, and that they can modify things to accommodate a buyer.

So... here's the experiment.
A few days ago we were offered two gigs next weekend, covering NYE, and earning us some welcome and unexpected cash, as initially we had a greed not to play NYE this year. I decided to use part of my fee towards a 5-string bass from a seller that looks good on paper, whom I approached and has been pretty economic with his words but addressing all my points. Just efficient communication, a bit like Adrian Maruszczyk ;)
Not that I expect the same quality, not at all! But I sort of want a cheap 5 string to explore 5stringness again.

So... a bass caught my eye. It was a Jazz shape. Maple neck and board with block markers, ash body with a figured maple veneer top in natural finish, two big MM humbuckers, no pickguard, 3-band active.

So I approached them asking whether they'd make one without the fender logo (I would supply something else myself), just one pickup positioned where I want it, no neck markers, body tinted purple (I supplied a picture as example)... and they said yes, just supply the logo as PDF, and they'll show me examples of the colour and they'll send me a picture when it's done... and if I don't like it, they'll do it again. I was warned it would take probably a month (only!?) and cost the princely sum of around £160-170 all included (price is in USD). So why not?
He said the weight is typically around 4Kg, which is not bad for a 5 string. I then enquired about maybe using a Precision shape instead, which I find more comfy and being smaller will also likely be a bit lighter. The reply was "yes, I can make that".

So I'll prepare a sheet with all the specs and a mock picture to illustrate all the key points and dimensions, get some kind of logo sorted... and I'll place the order sometime over the next week or so.

I figured it was worth a punt to get a cheap instrument that will l be a bit different from what's around. Of course... it may prove to me a complete waste of money but if it's useless I'll hang it as decoration :lol: and then get a white Squier VM precision and modify that one with a MM pickup and a new pickguard.

The 'base' bass looked like this on their site:

Watch this space if you're curious about aliexpress... and sometime in February I should receive this, and a 4-string custom Maruszczyk as well... ;)

[u][b]EDIT 30th Dec' 2016:[/b][/u]
post #36, decal designed

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482504444' post='3201135']
I'm intrigued too... YouTube is full of horror stories, so best of luck!
[/quote]

I know, I don't expect much :lol: but also some successful ones. I think you just have to be realistic about what to expect.
The reviews from people ordering that very bass model are reasonable. Some minor finish flaws here and there, sharp frets... usual stuff on that price bracket. I'm not saying this could be an alternative to Maruszczyk ;) but this is the difference between not bothering with a 5-string or having one around. I've owned nice 5-string basses... an EBMM SUB5 and a Lakland 5502 were the best, although the G&L L2500 was nearly as nice... but they all went as I just don't *need* one. But occasionally I would like to have one around, and if I had one, I'd want it with an MM pickup type at the right place. So let's have a go. I might end up enjoying the 5-string world this time around and (:rolleyes:) end up emailing Adrian for my birthday next year again ;)

I watched a video of a guy with a Telecaster from aliexpress and there were many things he didn't like... but mostly they were cosmetic issues. If for £160 I get something that has most parts and a truss rod that works etc, I'll count it as a success. I enjoy tinkering, and I am counting on a serious set up job, and possibly redoing/replacing electronics, but I have all parts in my spares drawer... we will see. Worst case scenario: it goes on the wall

I'll share the result here, so you can laugh at me and enjoy the experience without wasting your money as I'd have done it for you. I'm that nice. :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482506310' post='3201156']
I'll share the result here, so you can laugh at me and enjoy the experience without wasting your money as I'd have done it for you. I'm that nice. :lol:
[/quote]

Ha... truth is, if you're a tinkerer, it sounds like you'll have a lot of fun with it regardless of the outcome. There are worse ways to spend your time and money :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482506691' post='3201160']
Ha... truth is, if you're a tinkerer, it sounds like you'll have a lot of fun with it regardless of the outcome. There are worse ways to spend your time and money :-)
[/quote]

Exactly... I get to have fun on NYE playing to nice crowds, and go home with a new decorative bass. What's not to like? I may even be able to play it, and the time I spend setting it up it's time I'm not out there on the streets getting into who knows what kind of mischief :P

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1482587449' post='3201626']
Is it getting the Sea Bass Kid logo on the headstock, by any chance?
[/quote]

Ha! No, I still haven't decided what I'll put. I did put the SBK on the red Maruszczyk and I regretted it. Just as I got the bass I went through a phase being annoyed at the band and I nearly quit. No more band logos :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482588338' post='3201634']

Ha! No, I still haven't decided what I'll put. I did put the SBK on the red Maruszczyk and I regretted it. Just as I got the bass I went through a phase being annoyed at the band and I nearly quit. No more band logos :lol:
[/quote]

Ah, I guess it's harder to change than a bass drum skin!
I hope their time estimates aren't messed up too much by Chinese New Year. I've ordered something from China in January before, and it seems like everyone downs tools for a week then the post is backlogged after they start up again.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1482604013' post='3201842']
Ah, I guess it's harder to change than a bass drum skin!
I hope their time estimates aren't messed up too much by Chinese New Year. I've ordered something from China in January before, and it seems like everyone downs tools for a week then the post is backlogged after they start up again.
[/quote]

I'm not too bothered about the time of arrival, to be honest. Just like with the Maruszczyk I have in order, I do my best to forget about them, and when the arrive they arrive... It's like a Christmas you didn't expect, although you pay for your own presents ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482506310' post='3201156']

I watched a video of a guy with a Telecaster from aliexpress and there were many things he didn't like... but mostly they were cosmetic issues.

[/quote]

Was this a YouTube account by the name of Sonicwingnut? If so I saw the same videos, it's amazing how much an Aliexpress guitar can be turned around with a bit of imagination and elbow grease!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you get, what state it's in and how you improve it!

Totally unrelated to bass but I bought some carbon Race face Mountain Bike handle bars from AlIexpress. They have gone through huge amounts of punishment for 4 months. The same bars from the UK are £170. These carbon bars and they are carbon because they weigh the same as the real thing and i took them to a bike tech to veryfy they we're carbon. I stagger to say this. £15 posted to the UK. Work that one out. ???

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1482623022' post='3202029']
Was this a YouTube account by the name of Sonicwingnut? If so I saw the same videos, it's amazing how much an Aliexpress guitar can be turned around with a bit of imagination and elbow grease!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you get, what state it's in and how you improve it!
[/quote]

I don't remember the account. It was a Telecaster with bound body, cherry sunburst I think, and a very figured grain pretty top. There were things like the control plate being slightly slanted and the bridge also being slightly at an angle, the pickguard not cut flush to the bridge plate, rough plastic nut... stuff like that. There was one thing that was nasty 'though... the neck was correctly oriented, but the screws were all at amazingly weird angles and one of them came off the neck very close to the edge... very very very sloppy... Fixable if desired (the guy claimed the neck was solid in place) but it shows you how careful (or not) they were when screwing it together.

The thing is saying 'aliexpress' means little. There are sellers with patchy feedback, and sellers with great feedback, some have been operating for under a year, some for 2 or more years... I don't believe they are all equal. We will see...

I still don't know what to put as a logo, 'though. I don't want to leave the headstock blank, and I most definitely don't want a "Fender" logo or anything like that. I was toying with the idea of making a logo based on the letters AE (for aliexpress) and/or including a hint to the seller's shop name... but I have not made up my mind yet.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482629349' post='3202052']
Totally unrelated to bass but I bought some carbon Race face Mountain Bike handle bars from AlIexpress. They have gone through huge amounts of punishment for 4 months. The same bars from the UK are £170. These carbon bars and they are carbon because they weigh the same as the real thing and i took them to a bike tech to veryfy they we're carbon. I stagger to say this. £15 posted to the UK. Work that one out. ???
[/quote]

I'd be cautious with something like that, to be honest. It may be the right material but... why so cheap? I'd put that uncomfortably close to the 'too good to be true' category. I'd be worried that it's an item that failed QC and has some small structural defect which some unscrupulous seller decided to sell anyway.
A mountain bike handle bar is something where you're sometimes going to be resting a lot of your weight on, and if it snaps under stress you could get badly injured.
With a bass, only my self-esteem could be hurt if say a truss rod snaps in the middle of a gig ;)

Is there a way you can have the handlebar more thoroughly tested? I don't want you to get hurt, you post lots of cool youtube links on BC ;)

Having said that, a friend of mine started a business importing bikes and bike parts from a factory in China years ago. He dealt directly with the factory and he was amazed at how cheap (for UK standards) they could make quality stuff. He is no longer involved in that business, otherwise I'd offer to put in in touch.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1482604013' post='3201842'] Ah, I guess it's harder to change than a bass drum skin! I hope their time estimates aren't messed up too much by Chinese New Year. I've ordered something from China in January before, and it seems like everyone downs tools for a week then the post is backlogged after they start up again. [/quote]

The Chinese New Year is around early Feb (although it's late January this year). There's a slow down in production to avoid having stock in limbo for the two weeks that the nation is on holiday, and then there's a slow pick up as everyone trickles back to work.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482629349' post='3202052']These carbon bars and they are carbon because they weigh the same as the real thing and i took them to a bike tech to veryfy they we're carbon. I stagger to say this. £15 posted to the UK. Work that one out. ??? [/quote]
Labour is cheap in rural factories and bike bars are relatively uncomplicated to make so only need semi skilled labour. A carbon bike frame would be a whole different kettle of fish.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1482751689' post='3202485']
Like you I am sorely tempted by the Aliexpress offers, I am not even phased by the "fakes". Hadn't seen that 5 string Jazz with MMs , looks good but will it play good? Sometimes you just have to take a risk, don't you. Good luck, I may be following your lead sometime soon.
[/quote]

Yeah, the idea of the fakes just seems silly to me. Just about any bass out there has an affordable lookalike bonafide version, of known quality, if that's what you want. Ok, not if you want an R-bass (I love the name Chickenfaker ;)) or some boutique high end basses...

I just like the idea of a cheap bass that can meet your criteria, if those criteria are not easily found already in other 'normal' brands. It's a risk, but it's a win-win. If it works out, awesome. If it doesn't... hopefully it looks good enough for decoration and a few BC members get to feel smug :lol:

I'm now watching this thread too.

Remember back in the 70s when "Made in Japan" meant "junk"? We now know that it wasn't true. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the Chinese to get QC under control.

I reckon that for £150, even if you only get the bare bones, spending another £50 or so to get it set up to your liking, all the rough woodworking put right and for it to be "refined" might still make it VFM.

Hoping it works out for you (and the rest of us afterwards).

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1482868890' post='3203231']
I'm now watching this thread too.

Remember back in the 70s when "Made in Japan" meant "junk"? We now know that it wasn't true. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the Chinese to get QC under control.

I reckon that for £150, even if you only get the bare bones, spending another £50 or so to get it set up to your liking, all the rough woodworking put right and for it to be "refined" might still make it VFM.

Hoping it works out for you (and the rest of us afterwards).
[/quote]

Thank you, I hope so too! :lol:
That's exactly my thinking/hope. It;s not going to be an amazing instrument, but I'd be more than happy with a VM Squier if they came in the configuration I want. I'm hoping I can turn it into something close to the VM series quality or thereabouts.

Mike Newell on here bought a Fodera copy from Ali Express and it was a heap of junk, so will be interesting to see how this pans out.

It's a little difficult, as many people want to 'try a 5 string' (or whatever feature it is you're exploring), but understandably not spend a lot of money to do so. However, judging it on a £170 plank thrown together may not give you the best experience......so consider something else before giving up on 5s if this experience fails :)

Si

I keep toying with the idea of a Rick 4005 copy off there.
I love the look and sound of them but at about 10k I won't be owning one ever. I'd even considered making one but buying a neck as I don't think I could do that part justice, but this could be a good starting point. I'd refinish it as I want cream with black binding and scratchplate so even moving the pickups to the correct position would be doable, plus the neck would have the sharkfin inlays.
Hmmm, I'll be keeping a keen eye on developments.