Why become a member? ×

1x12 Options

redbandit599

Hi all

Am strongly considering going down the downsizing route - two 1x12 seems to be popular and would save me space etc. Not too bothered about weight savings.

I've been reading the glowing reviews for the Barefaced, Bergantino, TKS and other boutique (and no doubt lovely offerings) but was intrigued by the also glowing review on here for the Ashdown Evo 112s.

So, I just wondered if anyone has used any other contenders in a similar price range to the Ashdowns? I've also found :-

EBS Classic Line 112CL
Eden EX 112
Peavey Headliner 112

So, I play rock and pop type stuff, usually out of the PA - pubs, some a fair size - but nothing bigger. Two guitars, that are 'appropriate' with their volume. Probably will use a GK MB500 Fusion that I have currently 'on trial.'

Please no 'get a Barefaced etc' input - I can see these are good and well rated, just wondering about alternatives that I haven't seen mentioned much :)

Cheers all and Happy Christmas!

Jason

Edited by redbandit599

I quite like my Bagend 12s (212 & DIY 112) but not really an option in the UK unless you can find used.
Best cab I've used for rock esp with cranked GK 400RB :) however, it's probably a buyers market & there are lots of fine cabs out there so you're sure to find something good (if you're patient enough)

Edited by sifi2112

I bought the Vanderkley 112MNT in the summer this year and while it's absolutely lovely (clean as a whistle, fast response), I wish I'd sprung the extra for the 4x10 to get the punch. When I've got some spare reddies (hello new kitchen, goodbye bass purchases) I'm going to be hard pressed to decide between adding a 2x10" Vanderkely or flogging this and going straight to the 4x10.

Whatever advice you get, just try some stuff cos my goodness I took ages to decide on the 1x12.

I can't say as I've tried too many different 112 cabs to compare to but I can say that my Aguilar DB112s do sound very nice indeed.
Played a gig in one of the larger pubs that we play at last week - just backline. Filled the room with big, fat, weighty bass but crystal clear, tight and defined.
There may be much better cabs out there but these sound plenty good enough to me that I feel no need whatsoever to go looking for them.

If you are reasonably good at woodwork the the 1x12 Basschat design is hard to beat at sub £150. The TKS cabs give a nice "old skool" sound and some of BFM's plans make nice speakers but are a little complex if your woodworking skills are basic.

Or you could wait until the new year and see whether Santa leaves an updated Basschat design or two.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Some basic cab maths: 2 x 112 /neq 1 x 212. The bigger box allows the drivers to breath properly and the end result is much more depth and presence.

If you do decide to go ahead and make a change let me know - I'll have that 2x12 back in a heartbeat. Then i'll have two of them :-) . All the best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1482620830' post='3202010']
If you are reasonably good at woodwork the the 1x12 Basschat design is hard to beat at sub £150. The TKS cabs give a nice "old skool" sound and some of BFM's plans make nice speakers but are a little complex if your woodworking skills are basic.

Or you could wait until the new year and see whether Santa leaves an updated Basschat design or two.
[/quote]

Ho ho ho! The elves have been hard at work moving this project along to the next stage.

Edited by stevie

I have used the mark bass traveller 2x10. Excellent cabs and a genuine 1 hand lift due to the weight and dimension. Ie as its rectangular and the handle is on top theres no awkward lift.
I now use an Ashdown abm 2x10 ext cab and its surprisingly lightweight, second hand probably half the price of a second hand mark bass, but its more of a cube/box shape (if that makes sense) so regardless of weight its a two handed carry, with a handle at each side, elbows out, which means you get stuck in door ways!
The mark bass was a richer, deeper sound, but the Ashdown really cuts through and sits in the mix well.