Why become a member? ×

Earplugs query

TomRandles97

Not sure if this is something that's asked regularly but I've come to accept I'm going to need better plugs than the cheap ubiquitous rubber ones. I always start a gig with them and take them out halfway through because I just can't hear myself

Can anyone recommend any comfortable earplugs with flat frequency response (ie; so I can hear everything equally, especially myself) while playing? Preferably something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg due to student budget and a looming overdraft

Edited by TomRandles97

Got ACS pro17's for Xmas. I did try them when they arrived and couldn't believe how good they were in comparison to cheap earplugs. They literally just cut the volume down a bit and keep the clarity. I was really surprised just how clear.

Expensive item but as stated ears are priceless and hearing irreplaceable.

Get the ACS ones and have a great Xmas

Dave

Anything recommended for a skint bassist who can't afford to go down the custom fit route? I got some ACS Er20s on the web and they just kill the sound too much, we sounded like an acoustic band as opposed to rock. I know they are supposed to cut things to a certain extent but these seem too extreme!

Has nobody heard about the "Isolates" revolution?
They are bloody amazing! They isolate your ear drums completely so you "hear" everything through your ears bone (sounds weird, I know!)
I tested my new set for the first time at a Pixies gig (holy Paz! 😍) two weeks ago. I was right at the front at the barrier and stayed there all night. I got the most perfect mix of the band with no ringing whatsoever. I could even hear people talking. Very strange at first but after 10 mins it felt normal.
The Isolates come in Aluminium and Titanium, I went for the Aluminium ones as they are cheaper. They worked perfectly anyway.
Check em out. Such a simple idea but a TOTAL gamechanger!
I was turned on to them by my best friend who's band mates now too all have a set each.
I've been through every type of earplugs short of shelling out for a custom made set. These Isolates are the sh!t. Seriously.
Check them out people, you owe it to your ears!
https://flareaudio.com/products/earfoams/isolate/

An assessment by an audiologist would be the way to answer this question properly. I purchased a set of ACS custom moulded ER17 earplugs myself, only to find I couldn't hear the vocals when playing.

I went to an audiologist and it turns out my hearing iof higher frequencies is impaired, As a result, flat response earplugs reduce the overall levels to the point that higher frequencies drop out amongst everything else. The audiologist recommended a set of 9's (another brand they use) and that's made the difference.

Good luck with whatever you do

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1482596686' post='3201746']
Anything recommended for a skint bassist who can't afford to go down the custom fit route? I got some ACS Er20s on the web and they just kill the sound too much, we sounded like an acoustic band as opposed to rock. I know they are supposed to cut things to a certain extent but these seem too extreme!
[/quote]

Doc's Proplugs - I've used the vented ones for years at rehearsals and gigs with my melodic metal band, plus any gigs I go to watch and even just down the rock bar in town. They attenuate the high frequencies more than the lows, so they take away the 'fizzy' top-end from distorted guitar amps and cymbals but actually make hearing the bass easier when on stage. They aren't extreme or industrial hearing protection so I still find that my ears can be a little 'dull' if I've been somewhere brutally loud, but it's always been the kind of thing that's back to normal the next morning.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1482599464' post='3201781']
Has nobody heard about the "Isolates" revolution?
They are bloody amazing! They isolate your ear drums completely so you "hear" everything through your ears bone (sounds weird, I know!)
I tested my new set for the first time at a Pixies gig (holy Paz! 😍) two weeks ago. I was right at the front at the barrier and stayed there all night. I got the most perfect mix of the band with no ringing whatsoever. I could even hear people talking. Very strange at first but after 10 mins it felt normal.
The Isolates come in Aluminium and Titanium, I went for the Aluminium ones as they are cheaper. They worked perfectly anyway.
Check em out. Such a simple idea but a TOTAL gamechanger!
I was turned on to them by my best friend who's band mates now too all have a set each.
I've been through every type of earplugs short of shelling out for a custom made set. These Isolates are the sh!t. Seriously.
Check them out people, you owe it to your ears!
[url="https://flareaudio.com/products/earfoams/isolate/"]https://flareaudio.c...rfoams/isolate/[/url]
[/quote]

How are they different from sticking your fingers in your ears?

I had a look at their response curves and they seem to cut higher frequencies (above 1KHz, which is not terribly high) more... hmmmm. Have you tried them at a gig (onstage) and/or band practice yet?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1482678983' post='3202188']

How are they different from sticking your fingers in your ears?

I had a look at their response curves and they seem to cut higher frequencies (above 1KHz, which is not terribly high) more... hmmmm. Have you tried them at a gig (onstage) and/or band practice yet?
[/quote]

Yes I've used them at practice but not at a gig of my own I might add.
They worked brilliantly for me. I could hear everything fine. Very loud guitars and drums.. And me!
Much higher quality experience than any of the "rubber Christmas tree" plugs I've been through which usually do cut alot of top end and give a swampy tone to everything I've found.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1482794259' post='3202803']
Yes I've used them at practice but not at a gig of my own I might add.
They worked brilliantly for me. I could hear everything fine. Very loud guitars and drums.. And me!
Much higher quality experience than any of the "rubber Christmas tree" plugs I've been through which usually do cut alot of top end and give a swampy tone to everything I've found.
[/quote]

Interesting.

I don't see how it could work so well, from the description and graphs... but it clearly works for some! One of the guitarists in my band bought them recently and he really likes them. What I don't like is that I feel he turns himself in his monitor louder than he used to, more shrill... which maybe is a reflection of the decrease in high mids/treble... but I can deal with it, and as long as his tone doesn't become more bassy, then it's actually better for me.

I was not very happy with the "xmas tree" ones. I used them because I wanted protection but the sound was not great. I am actually waiting on ACS Pro17 custom plugs. Let's see how those go. I'd like to try the metal ones despite my scepticism (I've been wrong once or twice in my life before :P) but they're a bit pricey for an experiment, so I'll definitely wait to see what the ACS ones are like.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1482875145' post='3203307']
I have played some gigs where I would pay good money for that kind of filtering.
[/quote][quote name='owen' timestamp='1482875163' post='3203308']
Someone had to say it.
[/quote]

So True :)

May I suggest Read Audio. The guy who runs it used to be a top ACS guy, created his own product range and turns custom moulds around in 48 hours. YES 48 hours. I ordered a set of IEMs and separate attenuator plugs - both outstandingly good. AND...If you loose or break then in 4 years he will give you another set half price....

Just thought that I would mention the Musicians Hearing Health Scheme.

If you are a working player (and I'm not sure how loosely that needs to fit) then this scheme is brilliant!

http://www.musicianshearingservices.co.uk/musicians-union/musicans-hearing-health-scheme/

Hearing check and custom made moulded earplugs for £40. Definitely worth investigating!!!

[quote name='TomRandles97' timestamp='1482512583' post='3201232']
Not sure if this is something that's asked regularly but I've come to accept I'm going to need better plugs than the cheap ubiquitous rubber ones. I always start a gig with them and take them out halfway through because I just can't hear myself

Can anyone recommend any comfortable earplugs with flat frequency response (ie; so I can hear everything equally, especially myself) while playing? Preferably something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg due to student budget and a looming overdraft
[/quote]

That would be a set of [i]attenuating earplugs[/i];

https://www.proguarduk.co.uk/products/allproducts/product/79-proguard-custom-attenuating-earplugs

I haven't tried these however and at 220 quid they might be too much. If you use the same search term (in italics above) you will see lots of Boots offerings at less than five knicker...

Let us hear your results please?