Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 - different humbuckers?

BenHorne

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you know if the Stingray 5 humbuckers have changed during the last 20 years. I have only played Stingrays with the square kind of humbuckers, meaning that the humbucker has a box shape. However, I am looking at the one at the pic in the link below, and it seems that it is less box shaped. The humbucker seems to be more curved at the top and bottom(where the screws are located). Is this an original MM humbucker, or is it aftermarket? It is more difficult to get my thumb at steady rest on this kind of humbucker, and I really prefer the box shaped humbuckers.

Anyone who have any information on this topic?

https://images.finncdn.no/dynamic/1600w/2016/12/vertical-5/07/3/872/755/13_808970038.jpg

That's a version from before the 2007 update, the giveaway is the selector switch being at a sloped angle where the newer ones are parallel to the pickup, the battery box is also up near the lower horn when viewed from the back on the newer ones.

They started off with that shape pickup cover and an Alnico pickup in 87, in 93ish they stayed with that cover but went to ceramic magnets, then the update came as I said in about 2007 which also brought in the compensated nut and the newer pickup cover, a year or so later the pickups went back to Alnico but in the same newer pickup cover, it has a sort of sloped edge rather than the 'lugs' of a Stingray4.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Thanks for the clarification Pete, I'll have to check the dates on mine, I think I have both alnico.
The first is a '92 that has a pickup like th picture, and didn't realise they had changed the cover until I got my second one.
The second one has an inverted curve on the top edge and is quite comfortable to play. Just not sure on the date, think it's an '08 with HS.

Thanks a lot for the information. I am considering to buy the bass on the picture for £1100. It is from 1998.

However, the Ray35 is offered new for only £850, and I have read that the ray35 is very close to the sr5 in sound, playability and quality. I am having a hard time figuring out if the second hand, eighteen years old sr5 is worth £250 more than a Brand new ray35.

Can someone tell me the correct answer to this riddle?

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1482599933' post='3201785']
Thanks for the clarification Pete, I'll have to check the dates on mine, I think I have both alnico.
The first is a '92 that has a pickup like th picture, and didn't realise they had changed the cover until I got my second one.
The second one has an inverted curve on the top edge and is quite comfortable to play. Just not sure on the date, think it's an '08 with HS.
[/quote]

I think any with multiple pickups are Alnico, I could be wrong, where's DrStingray? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482609372' post='3201921']
The one in the pic is really smart and the real deal, raid the piggy bank :)
[/quote]
Yes, that is a lovely example. If you decide to not go for it, put the details on here and I'm sure someone else will snap it up (possibly even me!).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482609475' post='3201922']

I think any with multiple pickups are Alnico, I could be wrong, where's DrStingray? :)
[/quote]

Merry Christmas folks!!

I think the SR5 (all models) changed back to alnico when the US Sterling 5 was introduced - which has ceramic in all pick up configurations afaik (2008 I think).

I agree with Pete, the one in the picture looks great - the pick up looks identical to the one in my 2003 SR5 which I've had since new.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1482741412' post='3202403']
Hang on a sec, so the sterling 4 has always had an alnico pickup, yet when they released the 5 they out a ceramic in it, and changed the stingray 5 which had a ceramic (as the stingray 4 always has) and changed it to alnico???

What are they doing over there???
[/quote]

I thought the Sterling (4 and 5) always had a ceramic pickup?

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1482741858' post='3202406']
Hang on a sec, so the sterling 4 has always had an alnico pickup, yet when they released the 5 they out a ceramic in it, and changed the stingray 5 which had a ceramic (as the stingray 4 always has) and changed it to alnico???

What are they doing over there???
[/quote]
Just to clarify - I think we're making reference to the EBMM Sterling which is and always has been ceramic (edit - which Stingray Pete has just confirmed above), not the Sterling by. The Sterling by is Alnico I presume?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1482746866' post='3202448']

Just to clarify - I think we're making reference to the EBMM Sterling which is and always has been ceramic (edit - which Stingray Pete has just confirmed above), not the Sterling by. The Sterling by is Alnico I presume?
[/quote]

Well I'm embarrassed!! I've own a sterling and the previous owner told me it had alnico and never bothered to check!!!

Well that makes total sense then!!!

[quote name='BenHorne' timestamp='1482607768' post='3201895']
I am having a hard time figuring out if the second hand, eighteen years old sr5 is worth £250 more than a Brand new ray35.

Can someone tell me the correct answer to this riddle?
[/quote]

The riddle is easily solved

The sr5 will be a far better buy despite its age and well worth the extra £250

I've owned an SR5 and currently own a Ray35.

The Ray35 is a fantastic bass - but it's not quite there in terms of sound against an SR5, in my opinion.

My Ray35 is lighter than my SR5 was, and is fantastic to play. Sound wise, I'd say the Ray35 is 75% of an SR5, but doesn't quite have the full bite of an SR5. Again, only my opinion. If you're able to try both, then definitely do. YMMV.