Why become a member? ×

Super Compact Bass and Kit?

Pinball

My son has been showing an interest in bass guitars recently. I reckon that he could play so I would like to get him started. He lives with his girl in a flat in town and they really struggle for space so giving him or loaning him my kit isn't a sensible option. What he needs is a compact set up for practiceing and that he could potentially use live. I have some criteria in mind:[list]
[*]The bass should be medium or 34" scale
[*]Compact and easy to store
[*]He has no space for cabs so he'd need a compact amp or pre-amp that he can plug his phones into and would be good enough to plug iinto a PA
[*]It shouldn't break the bank so a few hundred, say £500 max
[/list]
Any suggestions?

If he's considering 5 string I'm selling my headless Yamaha that's 34" scale but fits into a guitar case :)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/296904-fs-yamaha-headless-5-string/page__fromsearch__1

One of the Markbass combos might be worth looking at but guess they'll be a little over budget.

I recently got a Genz Benz Contour 500 amp (head only) & been impressed so if you can find a combo 115 or 210 version I'd seriously try one :)

Thanks all, I've been reading over and checking the options.Some extra but relevant info is that his Girl is a singer/key player so it would be cool if he could play along if need be. I have to keep reminding myself that this is for him and not me and I reckon that he looks will be important to him as he''s not that confident. The answerts have really helped clarify things a lot so I'll answe them all:

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1482622451' post='3202025']
Secondhand Mexican Fender P Bass - around £300
Decent Preamp pedal with headphone socket - MXR, Ampeg, DHA, etc - under £200
[/quote]
That's pretty much what I was thinking. If he gets on OK and has an small amp or pre-amp then he can sedide if he has space for a cab

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1482623194' post='3202030']
Squier Jaguar Bass 32" scale £250, S/H combo up to £250
[/quote]

I had never sonsidered these but having looked at them and Mustangs on youtube this morning they seem really cool and don't break the bank. I Like the sound of the "HB" ones too

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1482624188' post='3202037']
If he's considering 5 string
One of the Markbass combos might be worth looking at but guess they'll be a little over budget., I recently got a Genz Benz Contour 500 amp (head only) & been impressed so if you can find a combo 115 or 210 version I'd seriously try one :)
[/quote]

Probably best that he starts with 4, a small combo would be cool but even that may be too much at the moment.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1482660666' post='3202112']
If he has a computer, a Zomm B3 can be used as a usb interface. If he doesn't have a computer a Tascam bass trainer, very helpful for learning with.
I wouldnt worry about live performance straight away.
[/quote]

Good thinking, provided his PC is up to reproducing some wound without headphones...I need to check

[quote name='rhcp128' timestamp='1482664782' post='3202134']
I have a markmini 802, which you could get 300-ish pounds used. Really nice and punchy amp, combine that with nice squier and you have an awesome rig!
[/quote]

I love the look of that...OK not my choice for live work but it has a DI out, phone connection etc. Thanks for flagging it

I'm not actually in a position to do anything at the moment as I need to sell first but someone has just made me an lovely gift offer....thankyou santa and Merry Christmas all!

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1482684308' post='3202206']
All the best with it. Sounds like you're doing a lovely thing for him.
[/quote]
Thanks, well he's doing fine but he's one of that generation who hasn't got much spare cash. It's not high on his priorities I don't give him the chance it won't happen.

Walking back to the station on Thursday there was a charity thing outside Charing Cross" . The bass player had a Micromark like this https://www.gak.co.uk/en/markbass-micromark-801/56360?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnIPDBRC7t5zJs4uQu5UBEiQA7u5NeyR5vdS840VVDW5mIS1E2iLAPvA8qNGf7KgGIUKdrj8aAswu8P8HAQ
going into the PA. sounded amazing and probably good enough for any teenage practice, and probably a darn sight better than the 75w Laney I started out on...

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1482753134' post='3202506']
Walking back to the station on Thursday there was a charity thing outside Charing Cross" . The bass player had a Micromark like this [url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/markbass-micromark-801/56360?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnIPDBRC7t5zJs4uQu5UBEiQA7u5NeyR5vdS840VVDW5mIS1E2iLAPvA8qNGf7KgGIUKdrj8aAswu8P8HAQ"]https://www.gak.co.u...drj8aAswu8P8HAQ[/url]
going into the PA. sounded amazing and probably good enough for any teenage practice, and probably a darn sight better than the 75w Laney I started out on...
[/quote]
Thanks, they look great. My favourites in terms of being compaact and portable, with phones in and a good line out.
Micromark 801
EBS Session 30
Ampeg Microstack CL
I know that the Ampeg stack isn't portable but it has a small footprint and he can take to head and put it though the PA

That won't be until next month though.

I wouldn't stress to much over the bass itself, surely everyone has room for a Fender? If not then I have owned (and liked) a Cort Curbow and a Hohner Jack, both of which are a little smaller than average despite being full scale.

If there's no room for an amp then what about a headphone amp? Or something like a little mixer that he could plug his bass and headphones into for practice and then into whatever the girlfriend uses to amplify her keys if he needed. I've got a Behringer Xenyx that sounds just fine with the bass into a 1/4" input and then out to headphones.

My mini rig is a Barefaced one10, driven by a GK MB200. This has a tiny footprint and a very low weight too. Wonderful sounding and loud enough to gig. All bought used for about £400, or slightly less I think. You might do better than that?

This is completed by a Steinberger XT-2 bought here for £150.

Slightly over your budget but can you get smaller and still be gig-worthy?

Frank.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1482670469' post='3202162']
Thanks all, I've been reading over and checking the options.Some extra but relevant info is that his Girl is a singer/key player so it would be cool if he could play along if need be.
[/quote]

Roland Bass Cube for an amp if he'll need to be audible to her. Or a GK MB150 if one turns up dirt cheap.

Peavey Grind 5 (cheap) or Hohner B2V or B2AV (more expensive but takes up the least room).