Why become a member? ×

Weak areas on the bass particularly D & G strings

sirmuppet

Hi all.

Had this issue for a little while recently. My basses seem to sound really weak on the D and especially the G strings. I've ran 3 of my basses at gigs. One of them is an 09 USA P-Bass and that seems fine. The other two are a 14 USA P-Bass and a 14 Mark Hoppus Bass. On the later two basses the strings seem fine up to about maybe the fret on the D & G strings then it's like they disappear.

I've tried different Cabs, preamps and removing my pedals but nothing cures this. The other thing I've done is to alter the pickup height, even to the degree that the Hoppus has the E as low as it will go and the G really close. Still this issue remains.

Now the one constant (Other than me and my picks) are that the two basses I have this issue with both have Fender 105-45 nickels on them. The 09 P-Bass has 105-50 Prosteels. Surely it can't be the strings can it? I mean these are a well known brand.

For reference my rig is an Orange Terror 500 head ran into either an Orange OBC115 or a Barefaced Super T. I have been known to bypass the Terrors preamp and run a Sansamp bass driver V2 into it.

Has anyone got any help? I have searched on here but the solutions people have suggested either didn't work, are not applicable to me or I have maybe done something wrong. I have to specially order my Prosteels so I want to be 100% sure this will cure the problem I have before I order a few.

Thanks for any help.

That's actually not a bad idea. My leads are pretty long and I do have a wireless I could use but the wireless I was using adds highs, so will probably run the lead.

It is a weird one in that on one bass it isn't an issue on the other two it is. Then it's fine on all 4 strings up until about frets 6-7 then the D starts to lose volume and the G is pretty much in-audible.

I never noticed it until a couple of weeks ago and now it's driving me crazy.

It doesn't happen acoustically.

I'll give it a try. I could only try it at low volume at home. Thought I had nailed it but gig volume with the band last night had me thinking otherwise.

It's interesting and may be why I'm getting this as the strings that are the lowest are the ones that are the closest, kinda of the opposite to what you'd think but In have heard of issues like you say.