Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown Goodness

Lozz196

OK, a brief post, new Ashdown RM-500-EVO arrived today. I`ve been using Aguilar amps for a good few years now, but every time I`ve used an Ashdown set-up as a provided rig, I`ve just preferred the sound. So having heard our very own Bassix using one, and from my limited try-out of one at the London Bass Guitar Show this year, I thought the RM might be a good replacement for my backup amp, currently a Tonehammer 500, so went and got one.

Can`t do a full review as only used it at home volumes, but first impressions are very good. The Ashdown seems to gel better with my Sansamp than the Aguilars did, so I`m pretty chuffed at the moment. I don`t know if this is to do with the bass frequencies set that bit higher, or if it`s to do with the mids centered differently, but with everything set flat the Ashdown with the Sansamp seems sharper - not what many say about Ashdowns, eh? First rehearsal with it will be Wednesday so I`ll update at that point.

I like Ashdowns.

My first Ashdown was a EB150 combo, which I liked the sound of so much I then bought an ABM 500 head, which I liked the sound of so much I then bought a MiBass 550.

I still have the MiBass but my main head is now a GK 500. I bought the GK because it is VERY, VERY loud. The ABM and the MiBass can't compete with the decibels the GK puts out but I still like the Ashdown sound.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1482608841' post='3201912']
I like Ashdowns.

My first Ashdown was a EB150 combo, which I liked the sound of so much I then bought an ABM 500 head, which I liked the sound of so much I then bought a MiBass 550.

I still have the MiBass but my main head is now a GK 500. I bought the GK because it is VERY, VERY loud. The ABM and the MiBass can't compete with the decibels the GK puts out but I still like the Ashdown sound.
[/quote]

I've also been using a GK mb500 as my main amp with a mibass 550 as back up. While the GK is significantly louder, the Ashdown has an eq to die for, really versatile. I used it at rehearsal a while ago through a BF big baby 2 and remarked at the time it was the best tone I'd ever had. Really versatile with three of the four bands parametric.

I think what helped was that the BF cabs are so sensitive.

With quieter cabs, the trick with the mibass is to set the master volume to max, then set your stage volume by using the gain control.

I did try it out in the house recently using the mibass as a pre running through one of the Behringer inuke power amps. That sounded pretty bloody decent but a bit of a palava for gigs.

Recent acquisition of a Markbass SA450 from these very pages has finalised my rig as I've now got power AND a flexible eq, so that's racked up with my GK in a 3 unit rack, with the GK acting as a spare.

In front of that I just use Zoom's bargain B1xon with about five presets that I flick through for the sounds I need into either the Big Baby or BF 410 depending on the load in. Seems I'm finally sorted!

Edited by King Tut

Well an update folks, I bagged myself an ABM 600 EVO IV today for £499, a saving of £150 on the rrp. So, sitting firmly in the Ashdown camp, I now have to sell all the Aguilar gear. No-one said it was gonna be easy, this bass playing lark....................

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1482667218' post='3202148']
Well an update folks, I bagged myself an ABM 600 EVO IV today for £499, a saving of £150 on the rrp. So, sitting firmly in the Ashdown camp, I now have to sell all the Aguilar gear. No-one said it was gonna be easy, this bass playing lark....................
[/quote]

Yes. I spotted that yesterday, I'd have chanced a purchase due the potential improvement over the MKIII. Unfortunately sold out. If you get chance please post feedback on the IV. Useful reviews of those head are few and far between.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1482667218' post='3202148']
[/quote]

what cab are you rockin that with? Ive got a EVO II and a 610 - can be a bit dark and im never sure if its the head or the blue speakers??

[quote name='drake' timestamp='1482873888' post='3203295']

what cab are you rockin that with? Ive got a EVO II and a 610 - can be a bit dark and im never sure if its the head or the blue speakers??
[/quote]

My ABM 410 (with blue speakers) is darker than my ABM NEO 210s (which have the Sica drivers) - so I'd guess it's mostly down to the cab.

[quote name='drake' timestamp='1482873888' post='3203295']
[/quote]

I`m pairing it with a Barefaced Gen 3 Big Twin II, so a pretty neutral voiced cab. I`ve found when using ABMs as provided rigs that I set all eq at midday, then back off the bass to about 9/10 o`clock (I get my eq from my Sansamp). Out of all the various different rigs I`ve used the Ashdown ABMS are the ones that I`ve gotten the best on-stage sound from, and I`ve used the ABMs with both 410s and 215s this way.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1482877146' post='3203323']
I`ve found when using ABMs as provided rigs that I set all eq at midday, then back off the bass to about 9/10 o`clock (I get my eq from my Sansamp). Out of all the various different rigs I`ve used the Ashdown ABMS are the ones that I`ve gotten the best on-stage sound from, and I`ve used the ABMs with both 410s and 215s this way.
[/quote]

Interesting that you back off the bass on the ABM, I have to do that too or its way too bass heavey. Are you running the Sansamp into the effects return then, otherwise thats two pre-amps??!! Don't Ashdown do cabs with black speakers? I've seen some on stages like that, Foxton etc?

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1482875669' post='3203313']

My ABM 410 (with blue speakers) is darker than my ABM NEO 210s (which have the Sica drivers) - so I'd guess it's mostly down to the cab.
[/quote]

Strictly speaking the Blueline speakers are Sica as well... just they are marketed as Blueline instead :)

I end up with the bass knocked back, too, and then the mid/high pushed forward a bit. It was interesting to find that the ABM and RM sound similar enough to come home wearing almost the same EQ having been in the same room but months apart, hopefully meaning that in the event of a failure, you could just mirror the ABM settings onto the RM and carry on sounding roughly the same.

Hope your newer 600 and 500 will be as good a match as my older 1000 and 800 :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1482915009' post='3203431']

Strictly speaking the Blueline speakers are Sica as well... just they are marketed as Blueline instead :)
[/quote]
Oh I didn't know that. The blue ones are darker sounding and require wheels! They all sound good tho!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1482915009' post='3203431']
[/quote]I find that very strange ..because when I swapped the 12" root master speaker for the 12" Sica they sent me , The White speaker had blueline written on the back of it & the Sica driver was very different the hole had to made 3mm larger for it to fit & the coil housing is a lot deeper plus they are Neo ?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1482931925' post='3203582']
I find that very strange ..because when I swapped the 12" root master speaker for the 12" Sica they sent me , The White speaker had blueline written on the back of it & the Sica driver was very different the hole had to made 3mm larger for it to fit & the coil housing is a lot deeper plus they are Neo ?
[/quote]
They are indeed completely different drivers