Why become a member? ×

Lots of advice wanted

Harryburke14

So, been eyeing up for a while the possibility of getting some guitar gear and an ABY pedal to split my bass signal into 2 channels - one for bass, one for an octave up guitar sound from the bass into a guitar amp. However, to make this sound decent, I am well aware I will probably need many effects and bits and pieces.

If anyone has any pointers on decent ABYs, octave up pedals, guitar amps, and effects to get a rhythm guitar-like sound from the bass, I would love to hear.

I know Royal Blood do something similar, so if anyone knows how to get a royal blood like tone *(maybe a bit cleaner and not at the expense all of Mike Kerrs gear comes at)* then I'd also like to hear it.

Did this for a while until we got a second guitarist, just to fill out under solos/ I used the pog and an EHX splitter, ran th eoctave up through a cheap (Joyo) guitar distortion pedal into a Roland Cube 40.

Biggest problem I had was getting the balance right in the mix. Guitar would sound way too loud against the bass when I set up, but once the band started playing it needed cranking up. sounded OK once everything was sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure you need a lot of gear. I used to go and see a 2 piece band in Leeds called 'That F***ing Tank' and their bass/baritone player used a switch box box and Big Muff to feed either clean or distorted signal to either or both of a guitar or bass stack. He got quite remarkable results stamping out rhythms on the switch box to give the impression of a guitar coming in and out over continuous bass. I seem to remember his gear layout was printed on the sleeve of their first CD. I know it's Baritone and not bass, but it was tuned ADGADG, so it was only missing the lowest few notes. I never saw him blow an amp up and it sounded enormous.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1482666840' post='3202146']
So, been eyeing up for a while the possibility of getting some guitar gear and an ABY pedal to split my bass signal into 2 channels - one for bass, one for an octave up guitar sound from the bass into a guitar amp. However, to make this sound decent, I am well aware I will probably need many effects and bits and pieces.

If anyone has any pointers on decent ABYs, octave up pedals, guitar amps, and effects to get a rhythm guitar-like sound from the bass, I would love to hear.

I know Royal Blood do something similar, so if anyone knows how to get a royal blood like tone *(maybe a bit cleaner and not at the expense all of Mike Kerrs gear comes at)* then I'd also like to hear it.
[/quote]

The bass guitar is a transposing instrument, which means the way music for it is written, is not how it actually sounds. It actually sounds an octave lower.

The point being, an octave up, isn't necessarily in guitar territory.

• 3 weeks later...