Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some eub strings

Wonky2

Been playing evah pirazi weich on my acoustic db for the last12 months and I'm happy with them...
But I've just picked up an aria swb eub and I'm not sure what strings are on it... what I do know is they feel heavy and a higher tension than I'm used too...

I'd like to go light weight and easy on the fingers, I hear good things about innnovation honeys but I'm clueless with what works for eub

What do you recommend ?

Edited by Wonky2

One thing to be wary of before shelling out on expensive strings, the Stagg I have is a rip off of the Aria and I had to 'perform delicate surgery' (bodge) the tail block to get standard upright strings to fit, with the ball seated in the block the strings were too short and the silks were not past the nut! I countersunk the ball ends deeper into the tail block and managed to peel the silks a bit before sealing them with clear nail varnish.

It baffled me at first but when you compare where the block is in relation to the bridge on the eub against a tailpiece to bridge on a DB you can see where the extra string length is needed.

Good question! I think 4/4 length strings will fit just fine but then the tensions will be different over the "almost" 3/4 length.
We need someone with an Aria to help,anyone?

I can measure my Stagg to see if it is indeed the same if you measure the Aria, I spent £145 on the Spiros and had messed the silks up trying to fit them before I worked it out , I don't want to see anyone else do the same. That said they are perfect now they are on it.

These are the Stagg replacement strings but they are meant to be terrible, at 40 euros instead of £145 for Spiros I suppose that is why!
[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/stagg_db_55110_st_strings.htm?glp=1&gclid=CLrwgreUlNECFYk_GwoddL4JKQ"]https://www.thomann....CFYk_GwoddL4JKQ[/url]

It looks like people might be fitting 4/4 strings to them as there is reference to strings being too long rather than too short.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I bought some black strings for my Stag - can't remember what make they are, gold silks, look really cool! - but they were too short. I decided to move the tail piece up a bit - did no long term harm other than reduce the break angle a little. You can see where it used to be. Also my 'stand' mod :)

[attachment=234664:stagnewbridge.jpg] [attachment=234665:stagnewbridge2.jpg]

Edit - found the box - Innovation rock-a-billy set 140RB

Edited by Paul S

I used to have an Aria SWB and never had a problem with standard 3/4 strings not fitting.
Generally, found that synthetic strings sounded more DB-ish than steel and synthetic orchestral DB strings sounded best of all. I had Velvet Garbos on mine but I reckon Evah Weich or Innovation braided would be a good (cheaper) choice.

Stagg nut to bridge centre 1050mm
DB nut to bridge centre 1055mm

Stagg bridge centre to string ball 280mm
DB bridge centre to string ball 200mm

That's the problem, 75mm (3 inches) extra string lost below the bridge is quite a lot, what does the Aria measure?

The silks in the peg box on the DB are only two inches past the nut hence my problem fitting normal Spiros.

Ahhh guys, Pete ! Thanks for the info, I got distracted by the crimbo !

I will check it out tomorrow....

Are the concert strings such as Spiro tied differently ?

I once played a bass owned by an old guy (70 plus) who had a fantastic feel to his set up... his secret he said was to chuck away the e string and fit A DG strings in position 123 then fit a high C in pos 4 but tune it to G.

I mentioned it on here s while back and it seems it's highly unusual but a couple of older players said there was a period in 60's when this was the done thing, it even had a name which I can recall ???
Sounds idiotic but I tell you it felt and sounded divine.

But these strings are just too dear to "have a go" with.... I might go pay him a visit and take another look!

In the mean time, I also used a bass which had strings that looked like a yellow weaved texture, no idea what they were ? Are they the roots ?

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is too late for a reply but I have a Harley Benton/Palatino eub and I replaced the strings with a set of Innovation Honey's I got from 'Marc S' on here. They've been on the bass for a few weeks and they're suiting me very well. Haven't needed to cut/trim them and I've no complaints about them.

What TheRev said - they're all a bit different, but my Clifton always sounded and felt great with Innovation Rockabilly strings. Good for the jazz gigs as it sounded more "old fashioned" then people expected. I've got Evah P's on now...very similar. I've also got them on my acoustic..but you wouldn't believe they are the same, as its much harder work - all down to set up and fingerboard profile.