Jump to content


Bass ukulele strings


8 replies to this topic

#1 casapete

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:City of Culture 2017

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

So I've got a Countryman bass uke which is great. Had it nearly a year now, and was wondering when
is it time to change the strings? They still seem okay to me, but have noticed the undersides feeling a bit rough, where they make contact with the frets.

It came fitted with cream coloured Aquilar strings, so would be looking for the same replacements I guess?

Anyone restrung their bass uke, and could maybe recommend any strings please?
Also any tips on how to best do it as it looks like it might be a devil of a job, and I'm useless with
tying knots etc, which I think you have to do underneath the bridge. Cheers.

#2 StephenYork

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hemel Hempstead
  • Interests:Bass, cars and Lego!!

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

I have just replaced the strings on my new u-bass. I used the Aquilar Thundergut strings, got mine on Amazon. They feel like the supplied strings and sound pretty good, though mine is a fretless so will be a bit different.
The bridge end of these strings are pre-tied. However the headstock end is a pain, spent the last two days trying to get the E string to stay in the tuner.
Alpher Instruments #004
Squier Vintage Modified Precision V
Laka U-bass
EBS TD650
Phil Jones BG300

Alpher Instruments artist - www.alpher.co.uk/alpher-artists/

#3 yorks5stringer

    It ain't what you do.....

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bruton, Somerset.
  • Interests:The rest, as they say, is history.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

View Postcasapete, on 26 December 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

So I've got a Countryman bass uke which is great. Had it nearly a year now, and was wondering when
is it time to change the strings? They still seem okay to me, but have noticed the undersides feeling a bit rough, where they make contact with the frets.

It came fitted with cream coloured Aquilar strings, so would be looking for the same replacements I guess?

Anyone restrung their bass uke, and could maybe recommend any strings please?
Also any tips on how to best do it as it looks like it might be a devil of a job, and I'm useless with
tying knots etc, which I think you have to do underneath the bridge. Cheers.

I'd be asking myself do they really need changing? They will not corrode and at that tension, even if a bit rough underneath are not going to snap mid gig. They are never going to sound bright like new metal strings anyway so why give yourself a world of potential pain? Sleeping dogs and all that....!

Caveat: I have been known to be horribly wrong about all sorts of things however.

Edited by yorks5stringer, 03 January 2017 - 11:42 PM.

Ibanez Artcore AGB205
KBass/Shuker 5 Stringer
Squier Olympic White Vintage Modified Precision 5 with Status flats

Squier Jaguar Sunburst VM 5 String
Markbass CMD121P
MarkBass NYC 121
Markbass Micromark 802

TalkBass British Bassist #20

Replies to posts are always welcome, if I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you!

#4 casapete

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:City of Culture 2017

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

View Postyorks5stringer, on 03 January 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:



I'd be asking myself do they really need changing? They will not corrode and at that tension, even if a bit rough underneath are not going to snap mid gig. They are never going to sound bright like new metal strings anyway so why give yourself a world of potential pain? Sleeping dogs and all that....!

Caveat: I have been known to be horribly wrong about all sorts of things however.

My thoughts exactly. They are starting to feel a touch rough underneath, so was just concerned about longevity etc.
Had the uke just over a year, and play it on a gig once a week. It's still holding it's tune too.
Think I'll persevere with them a bit longer until I pluck up courage to have a go with replacements.
Thanks for your comments.

#5 yorks5stringer

    It ain't what you do.....

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bruton, Somerset.
  • Interests:The rest, as they say, is history.

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Nice one...'pluck up courage'!
Ibanez Artcore AGB205
KBass/Shuker 5 Stringer
Squier Olympic White Vintage Modified Precision 5 with Status flats

Squier Jaguar Sunburst VM 5 String
Markbass CMD121P
MarkBass NYC 121
Markbass Micromark 802

TalkBass British Bassist #20

Replies to posts are always welcome, if I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you!

#6 Ghost_Bass

    yamaholic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

What are those black strings that come with the Kala u-bass? My uke came with the "regular" white-ish strings but i find them a bit sticky. I remember noodling with a friend's Kala and the strings felt way nicer.

'00 Yamaha TRB-5PII | '92 Yamaha TRB-5P | '85 Yamaha BB1000S

Alembic F-1X + KMT DC5 | Genz Benz STL-9.2 | Barefaced Super12T | Promethean P5110

Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Octave Deluxe | Darkglass B3K | 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator | EBS Multicomp | Zoom B3



My bands:
www.facebook.com/grooves.banda
www.facebook.com/naoha2sem3

My Feedback

#7 Jean-Luc Pickguard

    Hyper elite member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

I used to own a pair of ashborys - I tried a set of Road Toad Pahoehoe black polyurethane strings (as used on the Kala U-Bass) on one of them which didn't have as much of a double-bass tone as the standard Ashbory silicone strings, but they did seem to stay in tune a lot better. I also had a harley benton uke bass (actually went thought three of them due to QC issues) and didn't like the thundergut strings as they stretched and went out of tune all the time like the ashborys.
I have some basses amps & fx, but can't be bothered to list them.

#8 Ghost_Bass

    yamaholic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

 Jean-Luc Pickguard, on 15 February 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

I used to own a pair of ashborys - I tried a set of Road Toad Pahoehoe black polyurethane strings (as used on the Kala U-Bass) on one of them which didn't have as much of a double-bass tone as the standard Ashbory silicone strings, but they did seem to stay in tune a lot better. I also had a harley benton uke bass (actually went thought three of them due to QC issues) and didn't like the thundergut strings as they stretched and went out of tune all the time like the ashborys.

Thanks ;)

'00 Yamaha TRB-5PII | '92 Yamaha TRB-5P | '85 Yamaha BB1000S

Alembic F-1X + KMT DC5 | Genz Benz STL-9.2 | Barefaced Super12T | Promethean P5110

Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Octave Deluxe | Darkglass B3K | 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator | EBS Multicomp | Zoom B3



My bands:
www.facebook.com/grooves.banda
www.facebook.com/naoha2sem3

My Feedback

#9 casapete

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:City of Culture 2017

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

FWIW the first few weeks of having the Countryman it was a bug*er to keep in tune, needing constant
attention to maintain pitch. Then it settled down to where it is now, just needing an occasional tweak
to remain in concert pitch for weekly gigs.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users