Why become a member? ×

ACG Finn 5 Custom - Sold
£1300

Merton

Back up for sale April 2017
ACG Finn 5 Custom
£1050

Linky to ACG site

This is a very special bass for me and it's with a heavy heart that I have to put her up for sale. My first ACG custom, everything about the spec was carefully planned for months before pulling the trigger with Alan, who was incredibly patient and helpful throughout the build.

First off, the reason for the sale is that I am a greedy pig and have a new Skelf SS 5 string on the way and needed to keep the wife happy with a one in one out rule. Additionally my car has just been booked in for quite possibly the most expensive service I'll ever have to face, everything seems to have come at once for it.

So, with all that waffle out of the way, the spec:

Finn 5 Custom
4 string body size (previously all 5/6 string Finns had a larger body though I believe Alan has now ditched that as this worked so well)
33" scale
Swamp ash body, 2mm Wenge accent, Myrtle top
2x SB (single coil) pickups
Volume, active pickup pan, passive tone with an active/passive push/pull - I wanted a pickup blend but a passive bass so this was the best way to go to avoid the phase issues you'd get without an active preamp helping out. This could of course be upgraded should anyone wish.
Maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple neck with wenge fingerboard. The neck profile is the usual asymmetrical neck but shallower than Alan's usual carve. If you have played any of Eude's ACG basses you know what sort of thing I mean.
The headstock has a myrtle front cap and ash rear cap
Hipshot hardware, 17mm string spacing at the bridge and a 45mm nut
Schaller straplocks
Neutrik locking jack socket
Currently strung with Newtone Diamond Nickels 45-130
Very lightweight 8lb 7oz

Tonewise think jazz, that's what I was after with this bass. She can do polite and sweet or rude and burpy. If I could slap she would be a brilliant slap machine too. The bottom B is brilliant, I really don't think it suffers at all from the lack of an inch or two on the scale (depending on your preferences!)

Condition is almost perfect, there's a tiny mark on the tip of the headstock which I'll photograph ASAP along with some other photos which won't do it the justice Alan's website does.

Will be sold with a Hiscox liteflite case

UK mainland insured shipping is £25 and if you're further afield please let me know and we can work out a price.

Grab a bloody brilliant ACG custom at a significant saving on a new one :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1483467073' post='3207388']
This one:
[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0217ss-finn-4/"]http://www.acguitars.../0217ss-finn-4/[/url]

A nice and simple P bass beater :)
[/quote]

Now that is lovely. Let me know if you ever want to move this on.

Edited by skb558

Can you provide any sound clips? I'd be interested to hear the sweep from bridge to neck pickup with the active blend, particularly with the bridge pup being quite a bit closer to the bridge than a regular J. I have a lovely Recurve 5 fretless with a myrtle top ([url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0067-recurve-5-string-fretless/"]http://www.acguitars...tring-fretless/[/url]), yours is sort of calling out to be its fretted stable mate!

Edited by ikay

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1483648900' post='3209052']
Bloody hell that was the inspiration for mine haha! I will try to do some clips tomorrow. My playing is bloody appalling mind haha
[/quote]
Haha, excellent! Nothing fancy required with the clips, I'd just like to hear the range of tones from bridge only to neck only and some points in between where the active blend should allow a bit more control than a passive blend. Would be good to hear the B string on the clips as well. Cheers

Edited by ikay

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1492461697' post='3280513']
April bump, back up for sale at £1200. My band's just fallen apart and there's very little prospect (or desire, frankly) to find another right now so I'm struggling to justify all my toys.
[/quote]

Silly question, but still no trades?

Martin, sorry to hear you're having to sell this and about your band. Hope you're ok.

I believe I have played this (although there were a lot of lovely ACG's at our mini bass bash) and was mightily impressed with the feel and sound, especially on the low B.

Have a "good luck with the sale" bump on me!

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1492515283' post='3280814']
Martin, sorry to hear you're having to sell this and about your band. Hope you're ok.

I believe I have played this (although there were a lot of lovely ACG's at our mini bass bash) and was mightily impressed with the feel and sound, especially on the low B.

Have a "good luck with the sale" bump on me!
[/quote]

Cheers matey - I'm sure you did have a fondle of this amongst the many! Must have a beer soon :)

• 2 weeks later...