Why become a member? ×

Differences - Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short scale vs the Squier Affinity version in the starter pack

Numerov

Does anyone actually know ALL of the REALGENUINE differences between.....
- the Squier Affinity Jaguar short scale bass in the "Stop dreaming, start playing" starter pack (includes amp etc)
and
- the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar short scale bass?

The Fender/Squier website tells you nothing!

Numerov

Me, I've never seen an Affinity but when this question was asked over on Talkbass last year someone [url="https://www.talkbass.com/media/squier-jaquar-comparison.5087/"]posted a comparison[/url] which suggested the two basses had identical specifications apart from the colour options - ie the Affinity only comes in sunburst.

The Squier US site currently details the VM as having an Agathis body whereas this year some UK retailers are advertising the Stop Dreaming Jag package with a spec that omits to mention the body material.

Either way, there are secondhand VM SS Jags out there that are cheaper than either of the new options.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1482862769' post='3203157']
The Squier US site currently details the VM as having an Agathis body whereas this year some UK retailers are advertising the Stop Dreaming Jag package with a spec that omits to mention the body material.

Either way, there are secondhand VM SS Jags out there that are cheaper than either of the new options.
[/quote]

I got a UK VM SS Jag about 2 years ago, (neck is marked 2013 in pocket) the body material was said to be Agathis. (I often suspect it is whatever they can get hold of, under the paint!) Seem to have gone up a lot since then! mine was well under 200. I guess that's the weak pound.

My candy apple red VM SS jag cost me £165 from Thomann soon after they first came out. I had to send back the first one I received as one of the neck screws was put in at a wonky angle and the end split could be seen through a split it made in the side of the neck heel.

The replacement is a good one - it is very light & resonant, and now has a few upgrades - EMG-X PJ pickups (& pots etc), vintage style jazz bass knobs, a hi-mass bridge & Thomastic TI-JF324 flatwounds. It was my main gigging bass with my last band and is a very comfy little instument to play. It looks like the neck was made from a quarter-sawn blank from the grain pattern and there's some flame in there as well which was an unexpected bonus. As far as I can see the spec of the instument included the pack is much the same apart from the sunburst finish - I doubt there would be any substsantial differences in build or hardware.

wow I'm very surprised that the Affinity , which is their entry level budget range is exactly the same as their VM which is their higher end range. That just doesn't make sense.

for sure the Affinity P and J basses are nowhere near as good quality wise as the VM P and J basses, going by all the feedback

I wonder why it's different for the Jag?

What are the pickups like on the affinity? I was surprised to find that the pickups in a recent Squire VM Precision V seemed to be alnico magnets as they did not have the usual fridge magnet stuck to the bottom like other cheap p-bass pickups. Sounded pretty good too!