Why become a member? ×

Bassix folding double bass - any opinions? any available?

No. 8 Wire

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1484306970' post='3214501']
Thanks Tom. Just been enjoying the videos on your link there - pretty much the sort of thing I'm aspiring to, although minus the singing, I can't even sing and play the electric bass at the same time, or sing at all for that matter!

As a bonus of getting this Stentor though, it was considerably cheaper than a Bassix, so holding on to my Sire 5er is looking like a distinct possibility - although it may still have to go on the one in, one out rule. I've been arguing its not a 'guitar' therefore that doesn't apply, but the fact its got strings, tuners and even a pickup is making that argument a bit tenuous...
[/quote]

See, a double bass also makes a lovey artistic addition to any room. So, you could argue it's a piece of art and/or furniture which therefor negates your need to sell anything :)

Here is my art-filled front room as an example ;)

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/bassoline/tom-xmas-tree_1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1484228060' post='3213720']
TheRev has a good point - I started off with a Stagg EUB. Not long after this, I bought an acoustic DB. Since then, although I've changed both - I still have both an EUB and a DB :)

BTW. I wouldn't say all EUB's sound the same when amplified, as I have an Eminence EUB, and that can sound very DB-like....
I also like what I've heard from the Yamaha SLB
[/quote]

I didn't mean that all EUBs sound the same - more that an amplified double bass and a (good) EUB sound the same.

I also have an Eminence - with the right set of strings on it sounds just like my ply DB on stage.

Edited by TheRev

My first DB was a Zeller, solid top like yours, and really got me off the ground both for learning and gigs.
The K&K have a great reputation as pickups, so you have the gear.. enjoy!
[size=4]Got a bow with it? Thoroughly recommended. [/size]

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1484308719' post='3214530']
See, a double bass also makes a lovey artistic addition to any room. So, you could argue it's a piece of art and/or furniture which therefor negates your need to sell anything :)
[/quote]

Yes indeed. I almost sold my lovely David Gage bass a few months back :o
But Mrs S was very upset! She virtually begged me not to sell.....so I kept it. She loves seeing the DB in the corner of the lounge, and says it's more like a beautiful piece of furniture or a piece of art, and it really just "belongs" there. Whenever I move the DB from its' corner, it looks so "empty"

Also, TheRev, I thought you weren't generalising about all EUB's sounding the same - I just wanted to make sure the OP realised that some of the better ones can sound more acoustic DB-like :)

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1484313794' post='3214589']
My first DB was a Zeller, solid top like yours, and really got me off the ground both for learning and gigs.
The K&K have a great reputation as pickups, so you have the gear.. enjoy!
Got a bow with it? Thoroughly recommended.
[/quote]

Hi Hugh, I haven't got a bow with it - though I am aware I need one at least as an aid to practicing intonation. I'll get one off ebay at some point. Apart from that, I have all the gear and no idea!

I have a Bassix folding EUB. Not sure if the link below will work but photo of it in my music room.
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/84l2faklrw621ha/IMAG0380.jpg?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/84l2faklrw621ha/IMAG0380.jpg?dl=0[/url]

It as a fibreglass 'frame' to give it the width of an acoustic bass but you can use it without just like the Stagg etc.Overall, a really nice sound and I was very happy with it until I bought my acoustic bass, although it is difficult to tell the difference sound wise in rehearsals as I hear very little of the acoustic, it is just pickup into amp. The acoustic is easier to just pick up an jam at home though as no need for plugging in, but the EUB just stands like a large mic stand in the corner and is much easier to take to rehearsals. Doesn't have the look though so my band members at the time were very happy once I got the regular bass, it just looked like they expected it to look. The main central section folds in half with strings still attached (bridge is molded onto the fibreglass body) and fits into a normal bas gig bag but tuning the ****** back up again is a bit of a pain so I rarely do it.

I don't think it really offers any benefit over the Stagg style as the bass shaped frame still takes up quite a lot of room.