Why become a member? ×

Sticky Ricky sorted - like a NBD!

Skinnyman

Some years ago I bought my dream bass - a fireglo Ricky 4003. OK, not to everyone's taste but I've lusted after one for a long time...

Fantastic bass, just "fits" nicely and a tone to die for. The only problem is that it suffers from a sticky neck and after 20 minutes playing, the finish on the neck turns into glue and it becomes deeply unpleasant to play.

I've tried a few things to fix this but nothing worked and for the last few years I've ended up using other basses to gig with and the Ricky has ended up languishing in its case (which I appreciate is not going to help the neck 'breathe' and cure the stickiness).

Yesterday I realised what a waste this is so I grabbed a scotchbrite pan scourer and gave the neck a thorough rub down.

And bingo! Rehearsal tonight, and it played like a dream. And I used the studio's Ampeg head and 8x10 fridge.....what a sound.....

So I now have a new bass. It has a dull finish to the neck, but it plays like a greased otter in a bath of lube. They will have to prise it from my cold, dead fingers to get it off me. I am in love all over again....

Edited by Skinnyman

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1482963511' post='3203837']
This sort of QC put me right off ricks decades ago.. unlike some of folks who complain I actually struggled with a 4001 for over a year :-)
[/quote]

I'm not sure it's solely a QC thing, I get the impression that it's down to the finish they use (cellulose? Poly?). I'd heard that they need to be left out to "breathe" but that had no effect on mine - hence the attack with the scourer.

I know that Ricks can be a bit of a marmite bass - and they're probably seen as terribly passé these days, but I got a good one (paint finish not withstanding) and although I may have shagged the resale value, at least I have a bass I can now play for a whole gig.

And in combination with that Ampeg.....wow. Just, like, wow

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1482964129' post='3203846']
Which means that they're not consistent with the formula or application of the neck finish.... :-)

[/quote]

You make a fair point :-)

The finish on mine was certainly consistent. Consistently cr@p 😀

Give Rickenbacker a break - they've only been making and spraying basses for over half a century....! :P

Even as a fan and player, their QC has long been a major problem in my book. I had a fair few 'iffy' 4003's - and they never sounded as I wanted, either.

Sole 4001 owner now. Best Ric, and bass, I'll ever have. Neck sticky-ness not a problem, as due to missing paint, it's had a lovely refin! :)