Why become a member? ×

NCD Vanderkley MNT112

Surrpaul

Just picked up my new cab. Wow. I'd been playing through a DIY (and may I say great sounding, but not *that* loud) cab I built while on paternity leave in May, but the Vanderkley MNT112 is a phenomenal beast. Made my MIA jazz sound clear and punchy through my TH500.

I changed to LaBella's last night, after 19 years of roundwounds. The sound was (obviously) very different to what I'm used to playing so tried a round wound jazz they had in stock for comparison and wasn't disappointed: very responsive and clear.

Next thing on my list? Yeah, possibly another 112 at the right price.

Gigged with one 112ext and LM3 yesterday. More than enough for a small venue like a pub or a restaurant. Even at relatively low volume great sound and sufficient low end.
If I ever join a louder band I will get myself another 112ext. without second thought. Love the sound, love the weight, love the dims.

[quote name='JazzBass4624' timestamp='1483889426' post='3210863']
Gigged with one 112ext and LM3 yesterday. More than enough for a small venue like a pub or a restaurant. Even at relatively low volume great sound and sufficient low end.
If I ever join a louder band I will get myself another 112ext. without second thought. Love the sound, love the weight, love the dims.
[/quote]

I use a 212MNT, thinking about getting an 112EXT for use as a standalone and to make a 3x12 too!

• 2 months later...

I have a question - what's it like when you double up and add another? I've got an Eden WTX500 (280W @ 8ohm / 500W @ 4ohm) - do you get a right old thick thump out of it when you hook the 2nd cab in? I do already love the sound, the clarity is what made me choose the 112MNT.

Peter, thanks for that. I quizzed Mark V at the London show and asked if I should get a 2x10 to go with the 12 but he said he'd advise a second 112 because it moves the same amount of air and that's what he has at home. Now who am I to argue with the bloke who makes the damn things? I just forgot to ask what the difference would be like.

Btw, I see Aguilar in your sig - what's powering your Vanderkleys (madam!) because I did like the 20 minute session I had on a TH500 at PMT once.

I think Marc is right and you should consider adding another 112 rather than a 210.

I have two options for cabs - either two 112EXTs or a 410LNT (all Vanderkley). The 410 is awesome. I use my DB751 generally and especially with the 410. However if the space available is tight (or if there are stairs to get up :() I use an Ampeg PF800.

As the review in BGM said the 112EXT sounds great with just about any amp and my experience bears that out. I used to have a TH500 thinking it was the DB751 sound but without the weight but I was wrong so I sold it. The 751 has real heft.

As you don't live too far away, if you want to try any of my gear just drop me a PM.

Kind regards

Pete

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1490013987' post='3261407']
I have a question - what's it like when you double up and add another? I've got an Eden WTX500 (280W @ 8ohm / 500W @ 4ohm) - do you get a right old thick thump out of it when you hook the 2nd cab in? I do already love the sound, the clarity is what made me choose the 112MNT.
[/quote]

I was in the same exact boat as you. I took a punt on a second one, and although it sounded really pleasant, it still didn't really cut it. (Loud band though!)

Recently I was lucky enough to be able to grab an old WT550, and now it's just such a banging setup. The difference in punch is night and day.

Congrats OP, I commend your impeccable taste. :)

Pete, you could be on there - I tend to get into Leeds a fair bit - that's a mighty fine offer, thank you, I'll PM.

Danuman - that's interesting. The guy who sold me the WTX500 sold it for that reason - just didn't quite make the Eden 4x10 thump enough. This could get more expensive that I'd anticipated (said everyone on this forum at some point).

I'm yet to get to try out Vanderkley gear properly! I set myself a task to go check them at the London Bass Guitar Show, but alas it was one of the many stands that I didn't have time to get to. Just crazy busy! I'd like to hear a pair of these or the 2x12 version.

Its been over 3 months since i played bass. I keep looking over at my Vanderkley 115MN6 and it seems such a waste not getting used. It will again one day.

Talking of heads, i felt my 115MN6 really came to life when i first used my GK MB800 with it, as opposed to my MB F1 head. As much as i love MB heads ive grown tired of them.

Dood - I said hello late on the Sunday at the LBGS - it's a shame you're all that way down there or I'd have stuck the kettle on a-la petergales (Peter, thank you, I'll be in touch). On the other hand, if Wymondham is your town then you're super near one of my favourite places on the planet and I'm a tad jealous - Hethel. Birthplace of my little plastic car.

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1490126648' post='3262458']
Dood - I said hello late on the Sunday at the LBGS - it's a shame you're all that way down there or I'd have stuck the kettle on a-la petergales (Peter, thank you, I'll be in touch). On the other hand, if Wymondham is your town then you're super near one of my favourite places on the planet and I'm a tad jealous - Hethel. Birthplace of my little plastic car.
[/quote]

Hey again! Yes, I recognised your BC handle when you told me too! :) I think by Sunday I was flagging, hopefully I had a bit of sanity left to chat coherently ha ha!! - Yes indeed, quite a way from Ponty! Thank you though, really thoughtful - I do enjoy a decent brew too as well. Yup, I am in Wymondham which is often swarming with those lovely little cars. I have various friends who are involved with the brand locally too and I often have to endure some tasty pics and video clips, yet I've not been in one yet - so to own one, well, I'll be a bit jealous back :) :) :) :)

So close and yet so far, hey? Dang.
Yeah you were coherent on the Sunday, and I was surprised you recognised me without the wig & aviators :)

Anyway, massive thread drift, apologies, where were we...yes, little red cabs. Mmm.

Edited by MisterT

• 10 months later...

Just thought I’d pick this back up. I’ve still got the cab and still think it’s the best cab I’ve heard for it’s size! So much punch with La Bella’s and works a treat with our drummer.

Id love another but I think at this stage it will have to wait - one day! 🙏🏻

On 10/01/2017 at 13:44, Defo said:

Try it with aTecamp head, match made in heaven.....

That's my rig :)  Puma900 and Vand 1x12 and 2x10. Bass Direct use it to demo and i kept coming back because my gear never sounded as good at that. Eventually I upgraded, that was 2 years ago. Really brings out the best in a Musicman btw