Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM PJ?

Basscabman

I played one of those "surf pearl" ones in a shop and it was great. Looks amazing too. I ended up going for a standard P as I didn't really want the bells and whistles (J pick up, active electronics). That said, you can (I think) switch between active and passive, so you have the best of both worlds. In short, a great sounding and feeling bass (the one I played, anyway), with a very striking finish.

There are a few around.
These 2 are both passive.
The Candy Apple is modified with Hipshot Lollipops, BadAss and Seymour Duncans. The Sea Foam's only mod is tortie plate.

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/002_zpsvsyb6kky.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/002_zpsvsyb6kky.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0469_zps90a75130.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0469_zps90a75130.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1483059180' post='3204529']
I played one of those "surf pearl" ones in a shop and it was great. Looks amazing too. I ended up going for a standard P as I didn't really want the bells and whistles (J pick up, active electronics). That said, you can (I think) switch between active and passive, so you have the best of both worlds. In short, a great sounding and feeling bass (the one I played, anyway), with a very striking finish.
[/quote]

I very interested in these.

Would you say the neck is a standard precision or a Jazz?

Or maybe somewhere between the two?

I've decided to treat myself to a new PJ in January and these are pretty near the top of my list of potentials.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1483123036' post='3204904']
I very interested in these.

Would you say the neck is a standard precision or a Jazz?

Or maybe somewhere between the two?

I've decided to treat myself to a new PJ in January and these are pretty near the top of my list of potentials.
[/quote]

It has a 1.5" nut, like a standard Jazz, and definitely feels less chunky than any other Precision I've played (though my experience of them is very limited).

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1483134529' post='3205033']

It has a 1.5" nut, like a standard Jazz, and definitely feels less chunky than any other Precision I've played (though my experience of them is very limited).
[/quote]

Brilliant cheers, they've now move a bit closer to the top of the list.

Now I need to decide if I can live with the surf pearl or whether I want to pay an extra £70 odd quid for a white one which I will definitely find more aesthetically pleasing.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1483137444' post='3205060']
Brilliant cheers, they've now move a bit closer to the top of the list.

Now I need to decide if I can live with the surf pearl or whether I want to pay an extra £70 odd quid for a white one which I will definitely find more aesthetically pleasing.
[/quote]
Horses for courses, I suppose, but the surf pearl finish is pretty awesome "in the flesh"

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1483138051' post='3205071']

Horses for courses, I suppose, but the surf pearl finish is pretty awesome "in the flesh"
[/quote]

If was proper sea foam green I'd be delighted with it, but from what I've seen from photographs and the one video I could find (in German) on YouTube I think it might be a bit 'flash' for my tastes.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1483138391' post='3205074']
If was proper sea foam green I'd be delighted with it, but from what I've seen from photographs and the one video I could find (in German) on YouTube I think it might be a bit 'flash' for my tastes.
[/quote]
I get that. It's definitely not one of your timeless Fender finishes.