Why become a member? ×

Tablets Onstage

Yank

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1483016174' post='3204126']

I don't see anyone [i]telling[/i] anyone else what to do. What I see, are people giving their opinions on whether or not they agree that certain "accessaries" are to be used on stage. ;)
[/quote]

Fair enough.

I use mine on stage as it's used for the set list that will be e-mailed to me on the day once decided, it saves printing it out. Also our individual monitor mixes are done via it and not using a backline means that without it I cant change what I hear.
It's on a stand behind a PA speaker and in no ones way.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1483004644' post='3203987']
Where do you stand on using tablets onstage for words/chord changes? I'm in a new band where vocalists and guitarists use them. I'm old school and prefer to memorize my parts.
[/quote]

Only if you use them with a music stand.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1483015408' post='3204108']
If it improves the quality of the performance. I`m all for using a tablet. Does [u]anyone [i]watching[/i] a band[/u] really care if someone uses a tablet?
[/quote]

I suspect the ones underlined above are the only ones who would know. They'd probably take it as part of the band's "character" too. Of course, most punters don't watch the band so why would they care?

We've just started using Band Helper to co-ordinate our set lists for the 3 and 4 piece function band, and it's highlighted the fact that the 4-piece has a repertoire of 178 songs right now, and the 3-piece somewhere North of 150 (not been updated yet). I have a lot of those in my head, but it's nice to be able to have the band react to requests (within reason, and those 178 plus the buskable ones) by having a quick shufty at my iPad...

When there's an, erm, set setlist, I won't use it, but I have it handy for when the band leader likes to go 'off piste'... :rolleyes:

In my Proper Rock Band, and the originals band, I don't use it.

Edited by Muzz

Not sure about others but playing in a wedding/function band we tend not to follow a defined set list, instead choosing songs & medleys on what the punters are enjoying most. That can be choosing from 200+ songs. To cut down on time "finding" songs in the folder we're moving to using tablets & it's definitely speeding up time between songs. Flippin' expensive way to go though, especially if it's iPads!

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1483004644' post='3203987']
Where do you stand on using tablets onstage for words/chord changes? I'm in a new band where vocalists and guitarists use them. I'm old school and prefer to memorize my parts.
[/quote]

I used cheat sheets for my first couple gigs with my band. Tablets would be fine too, but only for those first couple of gigs.

Blue

I am 62 years old and can't remember stuff like I used to so there is no hope of me remembering 50+ songs which change fairly regularly! It's alright for you young bucks but all of my spare brain capacity is spent trying to remember to breathe regularly and take my (real) tablets each day........

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1483052404' post='3204490']
I am 62 years old and can't remember stuff like I used to so there is no hope of me remembering 50+ songs which change fairly regularly! It's alright for you young bucks but all of my spare brain capacity is spent trying to remember to breathe regularly and take my (real) tablets each day........
[/quote]

I'm 63, are you playing those songs on a regular basis?

Reason I ask is because my band has over 60 songs that are called at gigs. I still have room in my memory for more. But that's because I'm playing them on a weekly basis.

I doubt my memory is any stronger than anyone else's.

Blue

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1483014744' post='3204095']
Re. the talk of "learn your parts", etc, there's a world of difference between an amateur band that has its one or two sets - possibly 30-40 songs - that it plays regardless of where it is and a function band, which can have a potential repertoire of hundreds, even thousands of numbers. It simply isn't possible to keep that much material in a state of constant readiness (That's why orchestral, big band, etc musicians use music). What counts is the end result.
[/quote]

This.

I wouldn't use notes for regular gigs playing rock/pop covers... I do use sheet music for jazz gigs where you may not get much of a set list, no rehearsal, may not have met band members before the gig and you have to get through 60 or more songs many of which will have long and complicated chord changes. I can get through most of the gig without music but might wobble on a few songs and need a reminder.

Our guitarist uses one which doesn't seem to me to be too intrusive, mainly because it connects to his multieffects and sets up the appropriate patch for each song. Not sure how much he relies on it for the chords, I don't think he does so noticably though. Well, I don't notice him using it.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1483058607' post='3204525']
If you need them, fine. They look sh*t though.
[/quote]

Depends on the gig. A bar band like mine, nobody would notice.

I say, and this is only for bar bands. Use a cheat sheet for the first couple of gigs then get rid of it.

We're not playing any material that's all that difficult.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1483062923' post='3204535']
One of our brass players uses one, he has one of those clever Bluetooth page turning footswitch things too.
I rely on memory personally ☺
[/quote]

I might consider using a tablet reader to practice with but only with a hardwired footswitch for page turning and an A4 (minimum) size display. I have the onset of sight impairment so would welcome the facility to rescale tab and on occasion dotted score.

I can't comment on using one onstage as I have never tried it.

Can you provide linkage to the system he uses please? I'd like to follow up on that later.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Ideally we'd all have a great front person that remembers all the words to hundreds of songs, failing that I'd take a great singer with an ipad mini on a proper grab bracket over an average singer that remembers the words.

The younger bands are going to be using more and more gadgets on stage to trigger things or do clever stuff I'm too old to understand.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

People need to understand that there are more ways to engage an audience than eye contact and posturing, more ways to create a show than flashbombs and smoke machines and more ways to move people than facial cues and staring into the middle distance. Not all audiences want to dance.

Our singer uses one. I'll admit its better than having sheets of paper in a songbook, but we are a covers band with 30 something songs in our crrent list. I dont understad why the rest of the band can be arsed to learn the songs and play from meory but the singer cant do this with the words.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1483104717' post='3204751']
Our singer uses one. I'll admit its better than having sheets of paper in a songbook, but we are a covers band with 30 something songs in our crrent list. I dont understad why the rest of the band can be arsed to learn the songs and play from meory but the singer cant do this with the words.
[/quote]singers eh? to be fair when we learn a song it's quite repetitive, verse, chorus, verse , chorus middle bit etc, you get idea, but usually every verse is different so it's harder to memorise, having said that singers can idle bastards as well