Why become a member? ×

Tablets Onstage

Yank

If you want to be an Iron Maiden tribute id suggest reading from an iPad might not be sensible , but if someone like Lisa Hannnigan or a male equivalent wanted to read prompts from an iPad whilst singing in a bar I'd listen and watch all night.

Surely in performing , there are no absolute rules, only models ?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483067115' post='3204539']
Use a cheat sheet for the first couple of gigs then get rid of it.

Blue
[/quote]

Hmm. Paul McCartney has had oodles of time to learn his parts yet he still has a big PC monitor onstage scrolling his lyrics as can be seen quite clearly in the attached photo...

http://blog.eventim.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/paul-mccartney-tickets-2016.jpg

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1483142501' post='3205092']

Hmm. Paul McCartney has had oodles of time to learn his parts yet he still has a big PC monitor onstage scrolling his lyrics as can be seen quite clearly in the attached photo...

http://blog.eventim.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/paul-mccartney-tickets-2016.jpg
[/quote]

That's cool , we don't often have that much room on stage in front of the mics though

[/quote]

Yes, I saw that dolly Parton at Glastonbury had a display at monitor level with the lyrics on. She should really know it by now!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483055565' post='3204507']

I'm 63, are you playing those songs on a regular basis?

Reason I ask is because my band has over 60 songs that are called at gigs. I still have room in my memory for more. But that's because I'm playing them on a weekly basis.

I doubt my memory is any stronger than anyone else's.

Blue
[/quote]

In the words of Homer Simpson, in order to remember something new one must first forget something you already knew. I suppose I can remember 90% but forgetting that 10% on stage scares the bejesus out of me!

[/quote]

Paul gets a pass on everything as far as I'm concerned.

Blue

I'm hoping I'm not the only one on here to have had a mental block on stage with a song that was 2nd nature ?

Re McCartney , he might have the opposite excuse, whilst he's had years , how many 1000s of great songs he got in his aging head ?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483082890' post='3204556']
I might consider using a tablet reader to practice with but only with a hardwired footswitch for page turning and an A4 (minimum) size display. I have the onset of sight impairment so would welcome the facility to rescale tab and on occasion dotted score.

I can't comment on using one onstage as I have never tried it.

Can you provide linkage to the system he uses please? I'd like to follow up on that later.
[/quote]
According to my bandmate, he uses a PageFlip Cicada -- I don't know if that model is still in production though. There are other PageFlip pedals and similar stuff from other manufacturers [url="https://cambronsoftware.co.uk/hardware/foot-pedals/"]here[/url].

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1483438754' post='3207061']
Interesting to know how many of the naysayers also sing or do a fair bit of backing vocals. I can remember a lot more bass parts than the words to all the songs we play.
[/quote]

Agreed - when I said I don't have an issue with it, i wouldn't use a table for the bass parts in all our songs, but it seems reasonable to use it for lyrics. I actually have a sheet which has the start notes of all the songs, in case I get a mental block and cant remember a song (which happens to me), but that is on a piece of paper at the back of the stage, and I can't remember the last time I checked that.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1483438685' post='3207058']
According to my bandmate, he uses a PageFlip Cicada -- I don't know if that model is still in production though. There are other PageFlip pedals and similar stuff from other manufacturers [url="https://cambronsoftware.co.uk/hardware/foot-pedals/"]here[/url].
[/quote]

Many thanks Rich. PMd yer.

When I sang with the local choir, I'd have a crib sheet with the first words of each song as already mentioned above. I hardly ever used it but writing it out before the engagement helped me prepare mentally. I am not sure I'd have the same benefit from a tablet but have yet to try for myself. I have no real gigging experience other than from my twenties when we made our own stuff up. It was awful and therefore very easy to remember.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483456879' post='3207256']
I NEVER saw the late John Entwistle use one. What are you on about?
[/quote]

Pete Townshend. I couldn't remember how to spell his name hence the 'lead guitar geezer'. He was using a pad quite conspicuously.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1483457833' post='3207271']
Pete Townshend. I couldn't remember how to spell his name hence the 'lead guitar geezer'. He was using a pad quite conspicuously.
[/quote]

[Whooooooooosh!] Right over your head my friend. Maybe I should've used a smilie... nah... hate 'em.

Heeheehee. Pete Townshend is one of my stagecraft heroes.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1483438754' post='3207061']
Interesting to know how many of the naysayers also sing or do a fair bit of backing vocals. I can remember a lot more bass parts than the words to all the songs we play.
[/quote]

I always get the impression in these threads that some people feel because they've learnt all the verses to alright now note for note everyone should be able to remember everything ever written!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483465151' post='3207369']
I always get the impression in these threads that some people feel because they've learnt all the verses to alright now note for note everyone should be able to remember everything ever written!
[/quote]

Don't knock it, there's some real challenges in Alright now, not everyone manages the subtle differences from verse to verse ;)